Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improved BE Bus Service to Airport

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Said it before and glad to see BE adjust their timetable and run some direct servcies via the M9 to the Airport. They are an addition to the Waterford/Dublin timetable with the bus stopping at Kilkenny railway station twice early in the mornings. The 007 service runs as normal I think via Athy though. It's a start I guess :)
    http://buseireann.ie/pdf/1339596993-4.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

It took myself and the girlfriend 3.5hrs to get from the airport to kilkenny on the bus 2 yrs ago its mental considering how near it is, so any reduction in the time is good, its about time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

S28382 wrote: »
    It took myself and the girlfriend 3.5hrs to get from the airport to kilkenny on the bus 2 yrs ago its mental considering how near it is, so any reduction in the time is good, its about time too.

Was that with JJ Kavanagh? Not surprising really as they still insist on using the old N78 via 'Comer and go into every town along the way including Kilcullen and Naas. Long since bypassed! I think they are timetabled for almost 3 hours to the airport so with city centre traffic that could easily become 3.5 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    Was that with JJ Kavanagh? Not surprising really as they still insist on using the old N78 via 'Comer and go into every town along the way including Kilcullen and Naas. Long since bypassed! I think they are timetabled for almost 3 hours to the airport so with city centre traffic that could easily become 3.5 hours.

To be fair they do need to go into those towns for passengers. I remember spending a similar amount of time coming down but we were in Dublin for half the time. To put that three and a half hours into context, a group of cyclists from our club (or cycling forum) could do it in four hours or just over that.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Kavanaghs showed Buseireann the way, so I wouldnt be too hard on them.
    Anyone who remembers the CIE bus service before Kavanaghs will know what they did for transport in Ireland.
    The CIE bus from Dublin to Kilkenny took about 5 hours, it followed the train line, stopping into all the rail stations along the way,places like kildare and Athy,the CIE bus was like those prison buses you see in hollywood movies with hard seats.
    And yet CIE did everything in their power to stop Kavanaghs,Kavanaghs had to run their busses as a club to get arount the restrictions.

To be fair they do need to go into those towns for passengers. I remember spending a similar amount of time coming down but we were in Dublin for half the time. To put that three and a half hours into context, a group of cyclists from our club (or cycling forum) could do it in four hours or just over that.

I undertand the need for these towns to be served of course but I don't think all the services should be forced through these towns to serve a handful of people. Places like Naas are well served already being so close to Dublin. There is a great need to serve the bigger towns such as Kilkenny more efficiently as these are where the majority of passengers are going to/from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    I undertand the need for these towns to be served of course but I don't think all the services should be forced through these towns to serve a handful of people. Places like Naas are well served already being so close to Dublin. There is a great need to serve the bigger towns such as Kilkenny more efficiently as these are where the majority of passengers are going to/from.

That's a very valid point.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Waterford airport is looking better & better!

http://www.flywaterford.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

comeraghs wrote: »
    Waterford airport is looking better & better!

http://www.flywaterford.com/

Its too expensive to fly from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Not really anymore expensive when you take Ryanairs sneaky charges into account, & the hassle is a lot less!

The FLYBE route to Birmingham is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Has anyone used this service yet? Reliable? Flying out on Wednesday morning and always afraid of myself missing the bus. This would be more handy as leaving 50 mins later than Kavanagh's, so it's 50 mins more precious sleep in the early hours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I always found it faster to get the train to heuston (1h35 roughly) and then the regular 747(25 minute)

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    I always found it faster to get the train to heuston (1h35 roughly) and then the regular 747(25 minute)[/QUOTE]

25 mins in the 747?! Last time I got that it was the guts of an hour :eek:
    It stops at Busaras as well. Maybe it's quicker now with the Port Tunnel but 25 mins sounds very ambitious from Heuston to Airport?!
    Also add a (good few mins) in terms of waiting for and walking to the bus from the train platform.

Admittedly I did it at 5 in the morning always... It's slow when it goes upa round Dorset street but not as bad if it goes straight to the point and up the tunnel. But yeah mixed Timings alright. I always hate how unreliable it can be because some times it's quoted as 25, sometimes 45.

While we're on buses waiting at heuston, never get on a 145 to town just walk accross the road and get the Chapelizod road QBC services :D Good frequency, never full and less than 7 stages,

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    Admittedly I did it at 5 in the morning always... It's slow when it goes upa round Dorset street but not as bad if it goes straight to the point and up the tunnel. But yeah mixed Timings alright. I always hate how unreliable it can be because some times it's quoted as 25, sometimes 45.

I get ya. But earliest train from KK gets into Heuston at 8.20 am. Bang into rush hour on the Quays. It's CIE, sure there's no rush :rolleyes:

True true I find the drivers much slow on that route than my 25/a/b/66/67. Ah yeah I see whet you mean about time, mine was arriving

Advertisement