Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Rust

Options

Comments

Before After.jpg
    Before & After.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Its just 2-HYDROXY-1,2,3-PROPANE TRICARBOXYLIC ACID :D

Looks like good tack. Can also recommend the fertan / vactan stuff they use on steel hulls and keels its a combined rust converter / primer so you just wirewheel then paint with fertan and you have a perfect base for painting over. Its been a lot more successful for me than zinc primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Good pics Liam . I've used http://www.cleancar.ie/bilt-hamber-deox-gel.html this stuff , awesome tack too , and stops working when it gets to clean metal . Also harmless to rubber and plastics , I dipped whole brake calipers into the powder-in-water solution variant and they were perfect.

Anyone know where I can buy vactan off the self?

Anyone know where I can buy vactan off the self?

I've bought mine off ebay probably cheaper even including shipping, if you really want to get it locally then call around the chandlerys, boat yards, marine supplies.

Viking Marine stock the fertan.

• Advertisement

Vactan In Action.

Beats Hammerite ever day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Doing a refurb of the bumblebee??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

From what I've read before, to treat rust properly, you really need to sand down, fill and paint and these types of products are only temporary solutions? I've a few rust patches I'd liked to get rid of, but would be far too big a job to have to sand, fill and paint each one. Would one of the above products really work?

Refurb done that photo's two weeks old ;)

What I mean is vactan is the best if you can get an angle-grinder to it first.

For Light or delicate stuff like behind brake lines or bodywork use Hammerite, air compressor, power-hose, air compressor, repeat...

cormie wrote: »
    From what I've read before, to treat rust properly, you really need to sand down, fill and paint and these types of products are only temporary solutions? I've a few rust patches I'd liked to get rid of, but would be far too big a job to have to sand, fill and paint each one. Would one of the above products really work?

I've used the Bilthamber in the type of scenarios you've mentioned , and on the edges of a bonnet etc that I didn't want to sand , and it worked as well as sanding , poss even better .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Refurb done that photo's two weeks old ;)

What I mean is vactan is the best if you can get an angle-grinder to it first.

For Light or delicate stuff like behind brake lines or bodywork use Hammerite, air compressor, power-hose, air compressor, repeat...

Any pics of the refurb?? :D

did you paint it yourself?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    did you paint it yourself?

Just the chassis, the black and the patches, I had a polish crash repairs do the yellow for me.

I'll upload the rebuild photos when my laptop comes back from the vet.

I recall painting my mk1 Tranny, on a boiling hot day, running around trying to keep wet paint to wet!

I recall painting my mk1 Tranny, on a boiling hot day, running around trying to keep wet paint to wet!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

Better than trying to do it in the rain anyways. That's great craic too.

How much did the polish guy charge? Is that a lewmar boat hatch in the side, was it ok for the doe?

1550 for treating visable rust, stone chip, colour change, bodywork/reconstruction on three doors and the front grill 2 years ago.
    He's since sold business and returned to Poland. :confused:

Vetus window no probs. for DOE (see window marking thread), neither was the wood burner after I offered they test it's resilience.

1550 for treating visable rust, stone chip, colour change, bodywork/reconstruction on three doors and the front grill 2 years ago.
    He's since sold business and returned to Poland. :confused:

Vetus window no probs. for DOE (see window marking thread), neither was the wood burner after I offered they test it's resilience.

Thanks, my brother will be looking for a lower half spray on a sprinter so was just wondering what kind of rate he could expect. Local guy is pretty expensive understandable considering the investment he's had to make due to eu regulations, health safety, epa etc.

I was considering boat hatches myself, did your come with a backplate of did you just glue it in? Escape hatches designed to be opened from the outside too, how did you secure it internally? Sorry for drilling you for information :)

• Advertisement

No probs.
    The previous owner installed it very badly. I drilled out the rivets cleaned it, glued and riveted it back in. Theres 20 holes for screws/rivets on mine in the aluminium backplate, I don't know if these were there by drill or design. Simple stuff either way.

DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG

Front after the wire brush and chisel

DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

One week later

{Tarnished look on floor beside rust is old waxoyl}