Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi - Internet access

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey,

Is there anywhere in Letterkenny that offers free wifi access?

I am currently a student at Magee, and i wish to use the internet diring the summer for research etc.

Does the library have free wifi access? Or is it possible for me to go into LYIT during the summer periods and use their wifi?

Thanks

Oonagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Not sure if its ideal but there is a few pubs that have it in town.

I'd say just buy a tea or coffee or softdrink and you'd be good for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Was there not plans to make the main street a wifi free area one time,I see people sitting on the seat across from dillons on laptops at times I assume it to use their free wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

charlies cafe does. and in costa coffee they will give you the code if your there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I know the coffeshop across from voodoo has it though as said before youd have to buy a coffee, & i know that eircom have wireless hubs across letterkenny including in the courtyard shopping centre and costa coffee but i dont know how that works ie if you have to be a customer of eircom or not.

If none of these work for you the library was only one euro an hour to go online when i used to use it (about a year ago) which i found was the cheapest in town.

trouble with Costa is they are very expensive for tea/coffee etc (see old thread on here somewhere)

although looking into it if you are a 3 customer you can get free wifi so dunno if that means you can just sit there without coffee or anything

http://www.openwifispots.com/country-city_free_wifi_wireless_hotspot-Letterkenny_IE.aspx

shows only Ramada (station house now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Oonagh123 wrote: »
    Hey,

Is there anywhere in Letterkenny that offers free wifi access?

I am currently a student at Magee, and i wish to use the internet diring the summer for research etc.

Does the library have free wifi access? Or is it possible for me to go into LYIT during the summer periods and use their wifi?

Thanks

Oonagh

If you have a certain type of mobile phone, and data package (bill pay) you should be able to connect your laptop to your phone and use it to access the internet.

I.E HTC (any type) with Bill pay on 3 network with all you can eat data

mcdonalds ?

whatever about sittin in a coffee shop or pub for a few hours mcdonalds might not be the nicest place to spend a day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have seen people sitting with notebooks and laptops on the benches outside the court house. I always assumed they were accessing Gallaghers Hotel wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

There is free WiFi at the Errigal hotel, McGinleys bar without the need for a code. The library is still €1 per hour.
    But I found it cheaper to just get a Wireless Dongle(USB) from 3pay and pay as you go €25 per month for 7gig of download which is plenty.
    You would end up spending more on coffees in WiFi cafes/bars etc or €1 a day per month in the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's a thread in bargain alerts about a Meteor deal of €10 per month of a wireless dongle. LINKY
    For €10 without a contract, you could hardly go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Senna wrote: »
    There's a thread in bargain alerts about a Meteor deal of €10 per month of a wireless dongle. LINKY
    For €10 without a contract, you could hardly go wrong.

Was reading the beginning of the thread and straight away thought of Meteor/Eircom. Mind you, the speeds I got aren't the best but still for €10 it's not bad :)

Other than that, look at cafe windows and see if they have a free wifi sign, go in and buy a small coffee ;)

And LYITs net access is password protected.....unless you go and speak nicely to computer services ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Disclaimer: I don't work for 3 :D

Purchase a 3 Android Billpay phone from €25pm with all you can eat Data & 100min of phonecalls or 200 texts. You can then connect to the internet through this; no messing with download limits.

I had been paying €20 min every month on Vodaphone pay as you go, then another €20 to 3 for mobile broadband, now have new phone & paying €15 less per month....

You know it makes sense

Firblog wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I don't work for 3 :D

Purchase a 3 Android Billpay phone from €25pm with all you can eat Data & 100min of phonecalls or 200 texts. You can then connect to the internet through this; no messing with download limits.

I had been paying €20 min every month on Vodaphone pay as you go, then another €20 to 3 for mobile broadband, now have new phone & paying €15 less per month....

You know it makes sense

I think if you are on 3 PAYG and top up with €20 per month you get "all you can eat data"

Senna wrote: »
    I think if you are on 3 PAYG and top up with €20 per month you get "all you can eat data"

they don't like you tethering with pc/laptop though and its 15gb which is all you can eat for mobiles (trust me i tried)

danniemcq wrote: »
    they don't like you tethering with pc/laptop though and its 15gb which is all you can eat for mobiles (trust me i tried)

That must be for PAYG customers, i was on bill pay with 3 for a few months last year and i tethered to my laptop all the time, i think i downloaded about 150gb one month:P.

i know thats what they told me when i asked them just how unlimited was "unlimited". I use it for the radio and streaming podcasts at work and looking at usuage its around 3gb a month so i wanted to be sure that it wasn't like meteor who at the time had only a gb a month.

But I was in yesterday asking about the billpay tarriffs and they told me the plan i was looking at had all you can eat data and was the same 15gb as PAYG.

Maybe YOU are the reason its lowered now!

Advertisement