Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Degree to Accounting

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a Physics degree (BSc Hons) in UCD at the minute but I'd like to switch to accounting afterwards, as, quite frankly, I'm sick of physics at this stage.

What are the most recommended conversion courses for people who don't come from an accounting background? How long will it take me to qualify as a chartered accountant, taking into consideration that I'll be 23 when I graduate with my BSc in Physics, and what is the competition like?

Also, how will a potential employer view someone coming from a non-business background? Might a science degree be looked well on; I've taken a lot of advanced maths courses that are on par with those taken by engineers so I'm confident that I'd be able for the maths element of accounting.

Furthermore, might it be possible for me to get internships/work experience before I graduate from my present degree? (I understand that experience is very important in these professions).

And a final question, what is the market for the accounting profession, compared to, say, the legal profession (another option I've considered)?

Thanks in advance for your advance.

[EDIT: I'd like to request one of the moderators to move this thread to the accountancy forum, thank you!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

You would have to have business in your degree for three of four years. Masters are not recognised.

Check out the teaching council web site.

My advice in any case is not to do teaching. You most like will be unemployed for several years on and off and never get full hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Melanoma wrote: »
    You would have to have business in your degree for three of four years. Masters are not recognised.

So there are no postgraduate courses available for people with non-business backgrounds to prepare them for the ACA exams? Is a business degree of some mandatory requirement by Chartered Accountants Ireland to take the CPA1 & CPA2 exams, etc.? Basically, I'd have to go back and do a 3/4 year business degree, is that it?

Yes professional exams are not recognised at all.

Say for example I am an electronic engineer and if I did say a masters in mechanical engineering then I would still not be qualified to teach applied mathematics. I would have to do the specific modules I missed from the graduate degree. Its the graduate degree that counts only.

It gets worse though as there are folks with Electronic Engineering degrees that did the same maths as me pretty much but are not allowed to be maths teachers as in there course they were taught maths by the engineering department instead of the maths department.

The evil teaching council have mucked up a lot of peoples lives that did a hdip only to find themselves not able to teach.

You would also be unlikely to get a job in just business in Ireland. Most teachers are hired with a combination of subjects which they must have both recognised by the council. So Business Studies and Maths for example might be advertised. You would need to have 30% of your primary degree in maths and 30% in Business studies and have a HDip also.

Ok so lets say you fall back to the idea of teaching Physics and Maths maybe. Well there are no jobs out there. I have 7 years teaching experience in these subjects I still have never had full hours and I am still looking for another job after the last one got cut back again.

My advice is simply this. If you want to teach abroad then ok maybe, but in Ireland its a waste of time. You'd be taking a ten to one shot at best.

Yes professional exams are not recognised at all.

Say for example I am an electronic engineer and if I did say a masters in mechanical engineering then I would still not be qualified to teach applied mathematics. I would have to do the specific modules I missed from the graduate degree. Its the graduate degree that counts only.

It gets worse though as there are folks with Electronic Engineering degrees that did the same maths as me pretty much but are not allowed to be maths teachers as in there course they were taught maths by the engineering department instead of the maths department.

The evil teaching council have mucked up a lot of peoples lives that did a hdip only to find themselves not able to teach.

You would also be unlikely to get a job in just business in Ireland. Most teachers are hired with a combination of subjects which they must have both recognised by the council. So Business Studies and Maths for example might be advertised. You would need to have 30% of your primary degree in maths and 30% in Business studies and have a HDip also.

Ok so lets say you fall back to the idea of teaching Physics and Maths maybe. Well there are no jobs out there. I have 7 years teaching experience in these subjects I still have never had full hours and I am still looking for another job after the last one got cut back again.

My advice is simply this. If you want to teach abroad then ok maybe, but in Ireland its a waste of time. You'd be taking a ten to one shot at best.

I think there's been a little misunderstanding here. I have zero interest in becoming a teacher in any discipline. I had intended to become a teacher, but now I'm considering becoming an accountant. I want to find out what steps I need to take to becoming a practicing chartered accountant with my degree in physics, what conversion courses I need to take, etc.. I don't want any information about the teaching profession, I didn't ask for it.

Oh right there earlier you said the thought of teaching kids physics so I thought you were just against the idea of teaching physics. Oh I am sure there is a masters in business. Have you considered doing an MBA. I think it's be hard to be a chartered accountant but routes into business related disciplines are out there I am sure.

Apologies about the misunderstanding.

• Advertisement

Oh right there earlier you said the thought of teaching kids physics so I thought you were just against the idea of teaching physics. Oh I am sure there is a masters in business. Have you considered doing an MBA. I think it's be hard to be a chartered accountant but routes into business related disciplines are out there I am sure.

Apologies about the misunderstanding.

The thing about an MBA is you need relevant work experience. Other business masters usually require, well, a degree in a business related discipline or equivalent. I'm looking for some sort of diploma course to prepare me (or possibly gain exemption) for ACA examinations. Thus, why I created this thread to ask people with experience what was the best one is, etc., as per the OP.

Yea I've buggered it up you might need to being a new one.

I typed in conversion course physics accountancy and came up with,

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=PDA

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/what/businesslaw/hdip/accfin/index.html

Higher Diploma in Accounting and Finance in UCC. Year long Hdip that would qualify you for a masters in accounting. Not sure what exemptions the H dip gives though!

Advertisement