Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing to move out - what do I need to know?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Okay so this is my first time solely renting property. I moved into my flat on May 26th of last year. I'm planning to move in with friends before the Summer is out, likely the end of July or early to mid August (to be closer to college and save on bills).
    I haven't said anything to the landlord yet as I don't want him to go into letting the place if something falls through and I don't get to move.
    Since I'm here over a year (with a contract for one year) and the landlord never mentioned anything to me when he collected the rent last month, what's the procedure for when I am ready to move?

1. How much notice do I need to give him?
    2. What's the standard procedure for getting a deposit back?
    3. Any advice on things I can/should do before he might inspect the place?
    (Nothing is broken but the paint is badly chipping along the skirting board
    in the bathroom and kitchen specifically and there is black stuff on the
    ceiling above the shower)
    4. Anything else I should know about before moving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Okay so this is my first time solely renting property. I moved into my flat on May 26th of last year. I'm planning to move in with friends before the Summer is out, likely the end of July or early to mid August (to be closer to college and save on bills).
    I haven't said anything to the landlord yet as I don't want him to go into letting the place if something falls through and I don't get to move.
    Since I'm here over a year (with a contract for one year) and the landlord never mentioned anything to me when he collected the rent last month, what's the procedure for when I am ready to move?

1. you have to give 42 days (6 weeks) notice as you are there more than 12 months.
    2. The landlord will inspect the property and if all is well you will give the keys back and get your deposit back too.
    3. Chipped paint is probably wear and tear so don't worry about it. the black stuff above the shower would be mould. Very dangerous. Again I believe it is up to the landlord to get this cleared not you.
    4. Just make sure you give the correct amount of notice and are on good terms with the landlord or you may have problems getting your deposit back.

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Clean the place up, and take photos of the place, with the days newspaper in all of the shots.
    If you can reach the black stuff, give it a bit of a wipe. It can smetimes be wiped off. Not really up to you, but if it looks less mouldy it should be less of a problem.
    Nothing that I can think of aside from the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

1. I would have thought 1 months notice would be enough. I habve found as both a landlord and renter that there sometimes is overlap between your last month in your current place and when you move in to the new place. So usually I end up leaving 2 weeks rent behind when I move.

2. As long as nothing is broken you should get your full deposit back but I recommend cleaning the place from top to bottom. Some landlords might use any excuse to try and keep some of the deposit, plus it ll go a long way with reagrds a reference in future.

3. Chipped paint shouldn't be an issue and as said above if you can give the mould a wipe but this shouldn't take from your deposit.

4. Make sure you close off your bills, ESB/Gas/TV/Internet/Bins etc.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

1. I would have thought 1 months notice would be enough. I habve found as both a landlord and renter that there sometimes is overlap between your last month in your current place and when you move in to the new place. So usually I end up leaving 2 weeks rent behind when I move.

On a part 4 tenancy you must give 42 days notice when you have been there between 1-2 years. You can agree to less with the landlord if it suits both parties, but legally its 42 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't bank /depend on getting the deposit back immediately as many lls delay and argue..

Mould is his responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement