Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online retailer[NSFW]

Options
  • 14-06-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭

I bought a "toy" from an online retailer about a month ago. It was delivered much to my delight very quickly but when I took it out of the box and stuck in batteries and flicked it on, it didn't vibrate.

I contacted the retailer and after drawn out talks, they refused me my refund.

I considered contacting the small claims court about it but I've a relative working there and am kinda embarrassed about it all. Is there anything else I can do beside going through that route?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Contact the manufacturer and ask for a replacement; that's about your only route left and will most likely entail you paying for the shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

do a chargeback if bought on credit card.

did they even bother to try and help you fix the item.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Did you check the batteries?

[I'm tempted to wonder if there is a safety catch somewhere, as there should be on all weapons.]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Have you done a quick google to see if there's a known issue with the model you purchased?

Surly it still works without the batteries????
    ha ha ha
    like an electric toothbrush when the batteries go ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

urbanledge wrote: »
    Surly it still works without the batteries????
    ha ha ha
    like an electric toothbrush when the batteries go ;)

Electric toothbrush theres an idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why did they refuse to refund you?

i really want to make a quip about tesco not selling vibrators online, only fire extinguishers....

im sorry.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

was it brand new or a reconditioned model.

also would you not be covered by the distance selling act,
    the one that means you have a right to change your mind because you bought it online.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Did you check the batteries?

[I'm tempted to wonder if there is a safety catch somewhere, as there should be on all weapons.]

Is there a device to prevent it "going off" in your luggage.Bit of an anti climax if it does'nt work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No smart comments please

dudara

Ann Summers seem to have a good reputation if you have to purchase a new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

rameire wrote: »
    do a chargeback if bought on credit card.

did they even bother to try and help you fix the item.

Please try and find out the procedure for a chargeback before just throwing the advice around.
    First the bank will cancel your credit card, then they give the retailer a chance to explain what the problem is. Here, they will prove that they shipped it, and it was received. Then they give you a chance to challenge their reply.
    You're looking at up to 2 months here, and I doubt you would even get the chargeback.

Banks don't cancel your card when you request a chargeback.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Oryx wrote: »
    Banks don't cancel your card when you request a chargeback.

Yes they do. 2 AIB VISAs were cancelled on me recently.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It's not standard practice though. I've had to do chargebacks before, and I never got my card changed or cancelled.

It's not standard practice though. I've had to do chargebacks before, and I never got my card changed or cancelled.

Well if they did it to me twice in the space of 6-8 weeks, I'd say it is becoming standard practice. I would imagine it is done to protect themselves just in case there is fraud being done on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Did your chargeback involve some from of retailer fraud or unauthorised transactions?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I contacted the retailer and after drawn out talks, they refused me my refund.
    Did they refuse a repair or replacement?

Did your chargeback involve some from of retailer fraud or unauthorised transactions?

I queried a transaction on my statement, and asked for a chargeback. The VISA people told me that they would have to cancel the Card, and that they would have to give the retailer the opportunity to put their side forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I queried a transaction on my statement, and asked for a chargeback. The VISA people told me that they would have to cancel the Card, and that they would have to give the retailer the opportunity to put their side forward.

You didn't know what the transaction was for and asked the bank to investigate? Or it was a legitimate transaction where the service/product wasn't delivered and you asked for a chargeback as part of a resulting dispute? If it's the former, that's not what's commonly referred to as a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

me neither and it was for circa €1200, worked away as normal

Newaglish wrote: »
    You didn't know what the transaction was for and asked the bank to investigate? Or it was a legitimate transaction where the service/product wasn't delivered and you asked for a chargeback as part of a resulting dispute? If it's the former, that's not what's commonly referred to as a chargeback.

There was a charge on my VISA from an online retailer that I use.They didn't answer, so I called VISA and asked them what happens in a situation with a charge for goods I hadn't ordered, but knew the company concerned. They said before they could initiate a chargeback (their terms, not mine), they would have to cancel the VISA card, and allow the retailer the opportunity to prove that I had ordered product. When they sent through the delivery note addressed to someone completely different, the VISA section did the chargeback. It makes perfect sense for VISA to protect themselves in case there is something fraudulent happening. Took 6-8 weeks to sort out too, as I said, despite it being no fault of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I called VISA and asked them what happens in a situation with a charge for goods I hadn't ordered, but knew the company concerned. They said before they could initiate a chargeback (their terms, not mine), they would have to cancel the VISA card
    From the way I read it, VISA cancelled your card so said company couldn't take any more unauthorised amounts from your card.

Ok back on topic. OP did you get your dildo fixed?

Advertisement