Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Health Insurance in Australia

Options
  • 14-06-2012 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

Who did you get your private health insurance from in Australia? I'm currently covered by the reciprocal health care agreement but would prefer to go private (for physio, Ostea etc etc)

I'm on a Family member of a New Zealander visa, can't remember which subclass, which gives me similiar rights to a 457 or whatever it is.

Cheers for any help.
    Leftie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Medibank (Robbing thieving hooring bastards)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

With BUPA with My Choice extras. Pretty pricy, about $400 a month for the family. You get good hospital cover, ambulance cover and you get to pick 2 extras from physio, speech &language therapy, optical, dental etc.

As far as I know there are big changes coming in July to do with means testing what you pay for private health insurance. Also something to do with loading your fees if you don't take out insurance by the time you are 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I work for HBF, The largest Private Health Insurer in Western Australia, We are a not for profit business. If you are based in WA we have the most members for more information you can look at ( http://www.hbf.com.au/ ), Alternatively if you are not based in WA I would recommend ( http://www.gmfhealth.com.au/ )

Hope this helps,

Mike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Hi Mike..., I went on to the HBF website and ticked the singles saver twin pack and for me I got a premium of around $25 a fortnight.

If I tick the overseas basic its nearly double. Am I right in thinking that I am not entitled to the singles one as I am not a permanent resident? (I am on 457)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

Cheers folks, will look into some of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

I"m with IMAN but the plan is very limited and expensive. I presumed that they were really the only ones i could go with as i'm on a 457...

Am i right?

My mate got a quote off BUPA the other day. It seemed to be reasonable enough. Might go with then myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

With Bupa and we're on a 457

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Slidey wrote: »
    Hi Mike..., I went on to the HBF website and ticked the singles saver twin pack and for me I got a premium of around $25 a fortnight.

If I tick the overseas basic its nearly double. Am I right in thinking that I am not entitled to the singles one as I am not a permanent resident? (I am on 457)

Hi Slidey,

I cannot give you the full in's and out's as I do not work on the insurance side of the business, your best bet is to contact our support team by using the following link ( https://www.hbf.com.au/webforms/contactForm.htm )

I hope this helps and apologies I cannot provide more information.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ddixon

I used health.com.au when I moved to Australia, my new neighbour recommended them to me. Have not had any problems thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I have been looking at this a little as we are heading over next week, I have found that BUPA offers a product where you can have continuation of cover from your old Irish policy, has anyone used this product or come accross other health care providers who offer the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm looking for health insurance too.

I'm involved in a full contact combat sport, so there is always the risk of injury. Bot chronic and accute.
    I'm looking for something to cover physio, accidents resulting in hospital, maybe dental. And income protection.

I don't paticularly care about most of the other extras.
    Any suggestions, and idea what I might be paying?

From applying for two quotes they dont appear to ask any sort of questions about your health/smoker etc.

At least the two online quotes I filled in didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Has anyone any dealings with BUPA?
    I have read some reviews that its about 30 mins on hold on the phone to them and its very hard to claim with pretty incompetent staff.

I was about to go with them as i think they offer the most comprehensive policy at the best price, then i read some reviews...

Just thought id add this as i thought it was fairly snakey, i have just cancelled my IMan policy online and this is a copy from the second last page, i like the bit at the bottom.

But as we all know 457 does not need health insurance! I am currently looking at medibank or BUPA as IMan will be covering me for the next month

Cancel Plan Details
    * Cancellation Effective Date (Day/Month/Year)

* Reason For Cancellation
    Obtained Permanent Residency
    Leaving Australia Permanently
    Changing Insurance
    Received a Medicare Card
    Please specify Other

Other Details:

Please Note: Your sponsor will be notified of your intent to cancel your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sponsorship does not require some from external insurance when you are from ireland. Most countries do require it. For those people, cancelling it would breach your terms of employment, so they contact the company by default when its a 457 plan I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Has anyone any dealings with BUPA?
    I have read some reviews that its about 30 mins on hold on the phone to them and its very hard to claim with pretty incompetent staff.

I was about to go with them as i think they offer the most comprehensive policy at the best price, then i read some reviews...

I cancelled my policy with BUPA just last week because of difficulties trying to make claims. The claim process itself is pretty straight forward but it was the evidence they required after. My girlfriend made two visits to a GP for minor issues. After we put in the claim, BUPA wanted her to return to her doctor and get an assessment from him to state that this was not a pre existing condition. This meant she would need to made another visit to the doctor and pay $60+ to claim back $15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

s.c wrote: »
    This meant she would need to made another visit to the doctor and pay $60+ to claim back $15.

What policy are you on that your only getting $15 back from Bupa. Bupa pay me almost the full whack when I go to the doctor and I'm not on an extensive policy!!!

Karl - in response to your phone query, I get through to them almost straight away every time and they are really helpful to deal with. I've also never had any worries claiming. Go doctors -> go Bupa -> get cheque -> go bank -> lodge cheque. simples

So you can claim the Doctor back i wasnt aware of that!
    What policy is it your on if you dont mind me asking?
    The one i was looking at was basic hospital and basic extras for 240 a month for 2 of us and a newborn.
    How does claiming back work as i see a lot of Doc visits in the future! is it only certain Doc or bulk billing ones?

Are you PR or 457?

I'm on 457 so am on an Overseas Visitor policy.

• Advertisement

457 but im sure you know we dont need cover for that.

Im looking all over there site and cant find overseas cover, any chance of a link?
    All i can see is top/budget/standard hospital and similar for extras.
    It is BUPA yea?

Yea I know although had a fight with work because they claimed I did!

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/overseas-visitors

Here's where you can get your quote from. They are the most reasonable for me out of Medibank and HCF.

Advertisement