Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster dog issues with resident female - pack dynamics or something else

• 14-06-2012 3:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

As many of you know, I'm currently caring for (I guess I could call it fostering at this stage) a 2 year old male border terrier until a good home or rescue space is found. As I need some advice about his behaviour, I thought it would be appropriate to start a specific thread for this.
    He has been displaying occasional, brief bouts of apparently aggressive behaviour towards my female terrier (both my male and female are neutered), and I am wondering if this is just normal pack establishment dynamics or something else.
    For the first few days he tried to mount both the male and female a few times. My boy (also a terrier) gave him a warning growl each time and we also stopped the new boy from humping before things could get out of hand. My girl was initially worried by the mounting and kept out of the new boy's way. She then decided that she would stand up for herself and would snap and jump at him, without actually biting him, to tell him off. He never reacted badly to these warnings and things would just carry on cordially between them all after.
    On Saturday night, the OH and I were in the kitchen and the three dogs were in the living room with the OH's brother. We heard a commotion and came in to find the new boy under the table growling. He went to launch himself in the direction of my two but I managed to calm him down and put him out of the room briefly. When he was let back in, it was as if nothing had ever happened between them. The OH's brother said that he had suddenly wanted to go for the female. We weren't sure what to make of this though, especially as we had not witnessed it, so we didn't think too much of it.
    Everything was fine until Tuesday night. He was on the floor and my two were on the sofa. Without warning or provocation, he started growling and snarling and attempted to launch, this time at my boy. Again, he was told off and put out of the room and, again when he came back in, it was as though nothing had happened.
    He did the same, again to my girl, once yesterday and twice today (Wednesday). It definitely seems to be directed at her, despite the one attempt with my boy. Again, all the dogs have been ok with each other after.
    It does seem to occur without any provocation or warning signs. They will have been getting on all day, and have even snuggled on the sofa together. There has been no prior eyeballing on my girl's part (she is just minding her own business, not paying him any attention).
    Each time the new boy has done it, he has been either close to or under the coffee table. It has also been in the evening when it occurs. There has been no actual fight - we have intervened before that can happen - and the dogs all act as if nothing has happened once he has had his brief time out in the other room. Each time he is being led out of the room when having an outburst, he is snarling like a demon.

What I really want to know is, if this should be put down to him trying to establish his place in an already established pack? I would have thought it rather unusual for a male to show outbursts aggression toward a female like this. Could his testosterone have some bearing on this (he was only neutered on Monday)? When out on his walks, he is fine with other dogs. As I said, aside from these seemingly unprovoked outbursts, he gets on grand with my two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It definitely sounds like he is trying to establish his place in the pack.

I think its a big hint that it is happening in the evening - presumably when the family is gathered together and perhaps attention is being given to your other dogs and he doesnt know how to join in or integrate properly? Or perhaps just the dynamics are different and he cant quite figure out what to do?

The mounting thing can be simply dominance - so he shouldnt be allowed to dominate. Keep putting him out of the room (like youre doing) when he behaves like this - but maybe when everyone is home in the evening give him equal attention - or distract/redirect him with a game or even try putting him up beside the other 2 dogs on the couch instead of him possibly winding himself up under the coffee table!

Hes been through a good bit so its possible hes a bit all over the place at the moment and is quite insecure (I followed your other thread about the older owner - and I think you're great for what you have done) - but he doesnt sound too bad. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

maggiepip wrote: »
    It definitely sounds like he is trying to establish his place in the pack.

I think its a big hint that it is happening in the evening - presumably when the family is gathered together and perhaps attention is being given to your other dogs and he doesnt know how to join in or integrate properly? Or perhaps just the dynamics are different and he cant quite figure out what to do?

The mounting thing can be simply dominance - so he shouldnt be allowed to dominate. Keep putting him out of the room (like youre doing) when he behaves like this - but maybe when everyone is home in the evening give him equal attention - or distract/redirect him with a game or even try putting him up beside the other 2 dogs on the couch instead of him possibly winding himself up under the coffee table!

Hes been through a good bit so its possible hes a bit all over the place at the moment and is quite insecure (I followed your other thread about the older owner - and I think you're great for what you have done) - but he doesnt sound too bad. Best of luck

A couple of people I've spoken to have said this, and I would be inclined to think that myself. My amateur opinion - which I leave open to correction - is that he knows better than to challenge my boy, but sees some potential to outrank my girl (despite occassional displays of bravery, she can be very timid). Also, my two are such a tight unit, he must really feel like a bit of a gooseberry :p On the other hand, there have been plenty of times when he has been happy to snuggle beside the little girl on the sofa.
    Of course, I'm overanalyzing everything due to him being up for rehoming...were he staying here long term, I would be able to take things as they come, whereas I have to take all potential issues into account in the context of rehoming so as to find the best outcome for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Just a quick update here, the dogs seem to have sorted out their issues and are getting along just fine. In fact, the foster boy and my girl are getting along great now, snuggling and playing like lunatics. My boy is grand with him as well, aside from the odd growl (like a Father Jack style "feck off"!), if he gets in his way. It's going to be really tough seeing the little fellow go as he's a great little dog - I think he could be a great little agility dog as he is very athletic and is a very quick learner. Still, that's the downside of getting involved in situations like this (I know all of you that foster and rescue know how it is), and I'll keep you all updated on the original thread about this dog.

Advertisement