Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes paranormal?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭

Ok, the other night I was eating chips with the bf at home. Suddenly we heard a weird noise and the salt celler fell over. Does this count as paranormal or would something heavier, a book for example, have to move?

Look forward to your replied because I really am confused as to how the salt might have fallen over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Hope you grabbed a pinch and threw it over your left shoulder, wouldn't like to be you if you didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Hope you grabbed a pinch and threw it over your left shoulder, wouldn't like to be you if you didnt
    Oh no, I didn't! What happens now!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I find that an over active imagination constitutes and facilitates the paranormal.

I live in a very old cottage, more than a few people died in and around my house during the 1798 Rebellion, and it's not haunted. If your house was the scene of a blood bath 200 odd years ago, and doesn't harbor any spirits, you can be sure that ghosts don't exist at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Paranormal is anything that cannot be explained by conventional means YET. So something we think is paranormal today could be explained by rational means when our understanding or technology increases to the point that we can measure or detect what is causing the effect (whatever it is).

Paranormal is used as a catch-all phrase to cover things like ghosts and hauntings, or anything spooky and inexplicable. So yes, your moving salt cellar would be covered but that doesnt mean a ghost caused it. Just that it fell over for no reason you can discern.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I find that an over active imagination constitutes and facilitates the paranormal.

I live in a very old cottage, more than a few people died in and around my house during the 1798 Rebellion, and it's not haunted. If your house was the scene of a blood bath 200 odd years ago, and doesn't harbor any spirits, you can be sure that ghosts don't exist at all.

That would only make sense if 1) you assumed everything paranormal was a ghost, 2) you assumed every ghost was a dead person and 3) people dying creates ghosts.

An overactive imagination facilitates but does not constitute the paranormal.

When it comes to what constitutes the paranormal, Oryx hit the nail on the head I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement