Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Seriously Do You Take Life?

• 14-06-2012 5:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

How seriously do you take life?

I'm somewhere between "I take life seriously because if I don't I will die" and the delusion psychosis of "The hills are alive with the sound of music".

How Seriously Do You Take Life 47 votes

I'm a hippy, life don't bother me. Pass the bong.
    0% 0 votes
    ♪♫ "The hills are alive with the sound of music!" ♪♫
    14% 7 votes
    I have no control over my life, so I just take it as it comes.
    8% 4 votes
    I take life serious because if I don't I will die.
    48% 23 votes
    I live my life according to strict schedules. Not adhering to them would be like dividing by zero.
    19% 9 votes
    I scream in terror and panic at ever obstacle in life and get stressed easily.
    8% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I take life very seriously but I just don't take myself seriously at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

I take life very seriously, have odd spells where I question question my own mortality, fear an early death. I generally feel that there is too much to be done, and not enough time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Don't take it too seriously, nobodys ever made it out alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

"I take life serious because if I don't I will die."

Pretty much sums up my life heh heh.

If you don't live and die and suceed by the rat race you're losing out to natural selection IMO.

- So if I don't have a high paying job I'm failure.

- If I don't have a girlfriend by 25 I'm an absolute failure.

- If I don't travel large parts of the worldby 30 I'm a partial failure.

And so and so and so on.

Its how I live my life and I feel pressurised by it if I'm being honest. The older I get knowing I haven't done anything these things the more depressed I get.

Its pretty much the crux of how I think. I don't drink or smoke so in essence I take life very seriously as I don't want to feel a failure or lose out to the rat race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Could I take options 1, 2, 3, and 6 please?
    I used to take it quite seriously, I'll admit.

But I've been in far too many situations that could have really really easily killed me, with or without my control over them, and I don't wanna miss out. If taking life seriously for a while means I get super awesome fun at the end, then yes, I can do it, if I really want to.

I just know that so far in life I regret the missed opportunities and things I *didn't* do when I had the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

as serious as cancer...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Gnobe wrote: »
    "I take life serious because if I don't I will die."

Pretty much sums up my life heh heh.

If you don't live and die and suceed by the rat race you're losing out to natural selection IMO.

- So if I don't have a high paying job I'm failure.

- If I don't have a girlfriend by 25 I'm an absolute failure.

- If I don't travel large parts of the worldby 30 I'm a partial failure.

And so and so and so on.

Its how I live my life and I feel pressurised by it if I'm being honest. The older I get knowing I haven't done anything these things the more depressed I get.

Its pretty much the crux of how I think. I don't drink or smoke so in essence I take life very seriously as I don't want to feel a failure or lose out to the rat race.

That's ridiculous. You are a failure if you aren't a millionaire by 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Curiosity is what life is all about, it's the primary engine that drives our advance. It's about self improvement which includes improving the lot of those around you. The saying God helps those who help themselves doesn't mean helping yourself to every cookie in the jar, it should read God helps those who want to better themselves and that doesn't by screwing everyone else in the process. We're evolving but to what point I don't know but I know I'm curious enough to try figure it out. To some, it's a search for enlightenment, to others it's the quest for the Higgs Bosun, both are fueled by curiosity and both are valid. What life isn't is a quest for matching decor or the perfect accessory for the rat on the end of your leash, these are vapid hollow pursuits that do no good for anyone, they're a waste of time as they provide no real fulfillment, they answer no meaningful question. I don't take a whole lot seriously as I'm sure that someday, somebody somewhere will figure it out, probably not me but if I can help them get there, I'm happy. There is room for failure, no doubt many blind alleys will be explored like many are content following diversions or beating at a dead end their whole lives. Life is as serious as you take it, it's your decision how to live it just make sure you find it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

considering the greatest part of my day is letting off a dirty beer fart in the elevator this morning i'll let you make up your own mind about me.

It is a hard question to answer because I take life itself seriously and the well being of my fellow human - but I do not take many things within life that seriously either.

I do not think there is - or even should be - one answer to the question in other words. Each of us needs to decide what is important in our own life and take those things seriously - and then take the rest as it comes.

• Advertisement

I don't take life all that seriously any more. I used to. But now I think fcuk it, enjoy it to the max, it could all end tomorrow.

I take fun very seriously though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That's ridiculous. You are a failure if you aren't a millionaire by 25.

We''ll all be millionaires soon enough....after the euro collapses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

It's ok, but the TV section at the back isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I stress out at everything, stupid OCD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd rather have toast,
    and watch the evening news.

I'd rather have toast,
    and watch the evening news.

But what about the ghosts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I used to take it very seriously, always trying to figure out what the hell I should be doing with the vast expanse of years ahead of me (presuming I live to old age) but somewhere along the way I changed and stopped stressing out over stuff, learned to just go with the flow and enjoy each day as it comes. Expecting life to have deep and sincere meaning - as in, there's a God who made you, for a reason etc, as I was brought up to believe - turned out to be a deadly and dangerous noose around my neck. I felt like a total failure for years, until I managed to forever and totally remove the last remaining hand-me-down notions of god and religion and the meaning of existence (within god and religion's parameters) from my life.

I take responsibility for my self and my life, but I don't take it very seriously. I'm quite lucky in that postivity comes naturally to me (these days), so even when life is crumbling to dust, I can always see a chink of light in the distance.

I guess I'm a bit of an old hippy at heart....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As serious as Celine Dion when she looks in his eyes and sees a distant light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Deadly serious. But only because I consider life to be about enjoying the hell out of it. My whiskey collection? Serious business. Doing awesome stuff with friends? Serious business. Mind-blowing sex with pretty ladies? Serious business. Internets? Oh you better believe that's serious business.

Why so serious?
    If life was meant to be taken seriously, god wouldn't have invented condoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I stress out about life until I completely run out of serious and collapse into a pile of who gives a shit.
    It's a ludicrous merry-go-round of anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

"play it by ear" is my catchphrase....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

Life is just a game, which we will all lose, that makes us all a bunch of losers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Speak for yourself. As Homer Simpson once said, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get. I am winning harder than Charlie Sheen right now.

Advertisement