Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA. Price Differences

Options
  • 14-06-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm researching doing the CCNA course, and on my travels through nightcourses i came across 2 CCNA courses. Both seem to offer the same, but the price differs between both courses by a substantial amount.

Course 1 €995

Course 2 €2500

Is ITB offering more, or are they just extracting the urine from this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I took the class in ITB and IMO it was worth the money.

What are the other guys offering for 995

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DeadString

I presume ITB include exam cost, books, longer course/hours. ITB have all the real kit cisco routers switches etc.
    €2500 is a lot of money so if you have some previous knowledge
    and are motivated you can go the DIY route with simulators, online sites, some books etc
    hands on experience with routers and switchs is invaluable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The problem I have with this is you can pick up a CCNP lab and the coursework for around a grand. So why in Gods name would you spend this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The problem I have with this is you can pick up a CCNP lab and the coursework for around a grand. So why in Gods name would you spend this money.

Dont you need CCNA to do CCNP?

I checked out the ccna.ie website, they claim that the reason they charge so little is that they dont have so many overheads as a IT or a college have so they pass the savings on to us.

Does that sound dodgy?

Vicxas wrote: »

Dont you need CCNA to do CCNP?

I checked out the ccna.ie website, they claim that the reason they charge so little is that they dont have so many overheads as a IT or a college have so they pass the savings on to us.

Does that sound dodgy?

Of course you can pick up the equipment but depending on your level of experience you may sit and look at your equipment lost..

Find out how many hours and what equipment they have at ccna.ie

Itb is 5 hours per week, they have lots of equipment. Books and fees are included. The Cisco online academy is also a fantastic tool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

I know one person who done the CCNA in ITB for free, he hasn't worked for the last two years and done it through some government scheme. He said most of them in the class got it this way.

I know one person who done the CCNA in ITB for free, he hasn't worked for the last two years and done it through some government scheme. He said most of them in the class got it this way.

Id be doing it through myself as im working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

:mad:

Thinking of doing this course myself but that just makes me sick. I'd be paying for it myself as I'm working. I'd feel like a right pleb sitting in a class that I have paid two and a half GRAND for where mostly everyone else got it for free. I'd be better off quitting the job, going on the dole for 3 months and doing the same! Sure I might as well! :mad:

EDIT: Anyone here done the ITB course and got work out of it?

Elessar wrote: »

:mad:

Thinking of doing this course myself but that just makes me sick. I'd be paying for it myself as I'm working. I'd feel like a right pleb sitting in a class that I have paid two and a half GRAND for where mostly everyone else got it for free. I'd be better off quitting the job, going on the dole for 3 months and doing the same! Sure I might as well! :mad:

EDIT: Anyone here done the ITB course and got work out of it?

Yes I did the course in itb and paid cash money. It is true that the majority of guys seemed to be on a springboard scheme however those guys are making the same effort and trying to up skill and find work.

I paid my fees and was happy to do so, I couldn't care less about other people. Means to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

T-K-O wrote: »
    Of course you can pick up the equipment but depending on your level of experience you may sit and look at your equipment lost..

I have a full CCNP lab at home with the money saved by doing home study.

Consists of:
    HP Micro Server
    Dell 745(ESXI host for clients and servers)
    Three two port network cards.
    3* four port serial to USB adapters.
    IP enabled power strip
    Two 3560's
    Two 2950's
    Three 1800's
    One 2840
    One 3640
    One 3620

Personally I can't stand the thought of losing that so I can have somebody read me a book for a couple of weeks.

And when you go to the job interview and sit down to talk to your prospective employers, being able to talk about what you have, how you have it set up and how you taught yourself in your own time(which is what is expected of you in pretty much every job I've ever been in).

I know I'm preaching here, but if you want an actual career in IT you can't spend the rest of your life expecting expensive courses over long periods yearly just to keep up with tech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

T-K-O wrote: »
    Yes I did the course in itb and paid cash money. It is true that the majority of guys seemed to be on a springboard scheme however those guys are making the same effort and trying to up skill and find work.

I paid my fees and was happy to do so, I couldn't care less about other people. Means to an end

Did it lead to work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DeadString

I did the CCNA with ITB it was paid for by the Springboard initiative
    I took it seriously, worked hard and recently passed my CCNA
    Most of the guys including myself were over 6 months unemployed and had
    worked in the construction or related industry. All were trying their
    best to retrain or up skill and find work.

I always find it amazing how someone in work could begrudge others the opportunity
    to try to better themselves. Would you prefer they sat on their hole
    and made no effort?

You have the right attitude T-K-O

Anyway will a CCNA get me a job? no its a first (big) step
    Has it motivated/inspired me to continue with IT education? Yes

Of course you can purchases the equipment and save some money in the long run. You could also use gns or packet tracer and not spend a penny.... It all depends on the person. Many different ways to skin the ccna

Dead string I hear ya. Some people sit on their ass and claim benefits, more power to anyone out there that returns to study.

I was in a class and most guys didn't pay. I did, but what do I care. I got what I wanted from the course and hopefully you will too.. IMO investment in such areas is essential and a positive approach at government level.

And yup I got the job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I did the CCNA in ITB and they are great. They have all the kit and everything would be included in your €2500 (books, exam fees etc.)

As for self study, it works for some but most people are not suited to it. Especially if you are going from no networking knowledge to completing a CCNA it is a huge step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

DeadString wrote: »
    I did the CCNA with ITB it was paid for by the Springboard initiative
    I took it seriously, worked hard and recently passed my CCNA
    Most of the guys including myself were over 6 months unemployed and had
    worked in the construction or related industry. All were trying their
    best to retrain or up skill and find work.

I always find it amazing how someone in work could begrudge others the opportunity
    to try to better themselves. Would you prefer they sat on their hole
    and made no effort?

You have the right attitude T-K-O

Anyway will a CCNA get me a job? no its a first (big) step
    Has it motivated/inspired me to continue with IT education? Yes

I agree with everything but I wouldn't rule out the CCNA getting you a job. It may well get you an interview which could get you a job. Sure it won't be a high paid job, but it could be a foot in the door to a high paid job down the line provided you continue your education and certification.

I agree with everything but I wouldn't rule out the CCNA getting you a job. It may well get you an interview which could get you a job. Sure it won't be a high paid job, but it could be a foot in the door to a high paid job down the line provided you continue your education and certification.

How are the basic wages for you guys? As im nervous about dropping 2500 for a course that will only bunk up my wages and extra 100 a month....

Sorry for sounding greedy but im trying to save so i can start a family.

Vicxas wrote: »
    How are the basic wages for you guys? As im nervous about dropping 2500 for a course that will only bunk up my wages and extra 100 a month....

Sorry for sounding greedy but im trying to save so i can start a family.

You gotta think long term, I quit a job and decreased my wage by 10 k a year to do the ccna and pursue a career in I.T.

However as I gain experience and further education ccnp/Microsoft cert the sky is the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭funkyship

Hi Vicxas.

Im just responding to your query here.

Im the Course lecturer (CCNP certified) on the www.ccna.ie website and we too have access to live Cisco Switches and Routers. However our course is 14 weeks overall so is shorter than the one advertised on ITB.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Lee

Hi lee,

I know your course is alot cheaper than ITB, but it seems like an awful lot cheaper.

Forgive my scepticism :)

Hi Vicxas,

Not a problem, Your scepticism is justified and understandable given the price difference, however you are more than welcome to come visit the college and see exactly what the course entails, what equipment we have and the course format.

Lee

• Advertisement

To be honest Synoasis. €995 for a full ccna course which gives you access to cisco switches/routers and weekly labs/excercises in a classroom environment is quite reasonable considering the prices of other I.T (CCNA) courses out there.

Lee
    CCNP

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eoinmn

funkyship wrote: »
    Hi Vicxas,

Not a problem, Your scepticism is justified and understandable given the price difference, however you are more than welcome to come visit the college and see exactly what the course entails, what equipment we have and the course format.

Lee

Hey Lee,
    I'd like to take you up on the offer of visiting the college and having a chat. Can we arrange please? You can PM me...
    Cheers,
    Eoin.

Good Chatting with you yesterday Eoin. Anytime you wish to visit the college just send me a text.

Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

funkyship wrote: »
    Im the Course lecturer (CCNP certified) on the www.ccna.ie website
    If your place is in Dublin, why do you have a 046 (Navan, Kells, Trim, Enfield, Edenderry) number?

the_syco wrote: »
    If your place is in Dublin, why do you have a 046 (Navan, Kells, Trim, Enfield, Edenderry) number?

Thats because the office number (046) is based in Navan (This helps keep costs low which is passed on to the students). Whilst the College itself is situated in the City Centre (Dublin1). You are more than welcome to visit the college and see the course equipment, labs and course setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jay_Low

I got my ccna after completing the course in ccna.ie and thought the course was great. The lecturer knew his stuff and there was a different lab every week to complete. The lecturer was on-call every Sunday evening to answer any questions for free which was a nice touch. The only downside is that the course is short at 14 weeks so you really have to study every week whilst if you miss a week then you have to play catch up which is tough.

Hi lee,

Due to family stuff I wouldn't be able to do the course in September. What's the next course time after that?

Hi Vicxas,

The next ccna.ie course (after September) will take place in January.

Any questions about the course, please let me know

Lee

• Advertisement
Advertisement