Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours alarm going off all week!

Options
  • 14-06-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

My neighbors alarm has been going off since last Wednesday (I presume they are holidays) and it is driving me and my neighbors mad!

I or my fellow neighbors have no way of contact them, no one has a number for them.

Any suggestions on how we can resolve this and from a "Noise pollution" point of view could we contact the guards or the county council.

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Guards will be reluctant to get involved.
    From an installers point of view , we could not disable an alarm without gaining access and having the owners permission. I have never been asked to silence an alarm by any local authority or the Guards.
    A polite note in the door for when they return may prevent future problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

I know I was clutching at straws with that mail.

Note won't be polite I can tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

One thing about their alarm, if they installed it themselves as I presume they did and it stays on all the time is that legal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is illegal if they employ an unlicensed installer. It is not illegal to install it yourself.
    There are noise pollution issues, but don't hold your breath getting anywhere with that.
    I understand your frustrations, but a polite note will get a better reaction than an aggressive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Just don't sign your name at the end ! Make it out to be from a few neighbours . The embarrassement will cause them to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Just don't sign your name at the end ! Make it out to be from a few neighbours . The embarrassement will cause them to fix it.

Yea please don't sent an anonymous letter, I got a lovely one posted to me about my alarm going off for 4 days. It wasn't my alarm, it was the house 2 doors down, I had to listen to it the same as everyone else. They even said they'd reported me to the county council, I was so annoyed. Wish I knew who sent it. If you want to send a letter sign it as normal.

I would speak to the other neighbours, if it's been going off for days and there's no sign of them coming back, it might be time to do something. I personally don't see any harm in helping thier system comply with the current legalisation, eg max 15 mins for the external bell. Most bells have a jumper for this inside them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aine21

That's one thing I don't miss about Dublin, is the house alarms. I remember them when I lived in Lucan, used to drive me nuts. There isn't anything really you can do about it, except have a word with the neighbours when they get back:D

Advertisement