Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When mates let you down

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DiscoBiscuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

look it wasnt a 'noob' it was a troll most likely, the story wasnt even true imo, he posted some random crap for a laugh and posted more crap to justify it when he didnt get the reaction he wanted, he looked stupid so he closed his stupid account and opened up a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I disagree with somebody taking another persons comments out of context and without knowing anything about them, and then following on from that assuming the worst possible scenario about them and projecting a load of messed up personal crap at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Shryke wrote: »
    I disagree with somebody taking another persons comments out of context and without knowing anything about them, and then following on from that assuming the worst possible scenario about them and projecting a load of messed up personal crap at them.

I quoted everything I commented on which you'd know if you read any of my posts before coming in at the last minute swinging blindly. Nothing was out of context. I also didn't "project" anything. In fact you don't appear to know what that term means.

Basically a man bragged about screwing his mate's missus. He got a bad reaction from loads of people, not just me. He then claimed he was somehow rescuing her.

That is the situation as he claimed. What's the best possible scenario there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I was in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship. Only ended a few months ago. Right now I've had to take a year off college to get major spinal surgery after he beat the absolute crap out of me and fcuked up my back.

ANd I can make jokes about it. Doesn't mean I'm lying. It's how I deal with things. I'm the happiest person on the planet and love a good laugh. So what he said in a light hearted manner.

You're not the spokesperson for abusive relationships because your sister was in one.

Everyone deals with things their own way.

Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I hope for your sake the saying "birds of a feather flock together" isn't literally true, because that "mate" or yours is just a pathetic dickhead and eejit.:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Reminded of me of this ...

Fairly sure there's not supposed to be a comma in that...

The punctuation would be the difference between a capital J and a lower case one.

idk mention your ma or blasting someone with piss and the mods are all over ya, a thread thats gone fcukin haywire and they're nowhere to be seen :rolleyes:

ps please dont ban me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Lets have a house party while they're not looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

davet82 wrote: »
    look it wasnt a 'noob' it was a troll most likely, the story wasnt even true imo, he posted some random crap for a laugh and posted more crap to justify it when he didnt get the reaction he wanted, he looked stupid so he closed his stupid account and opened up a new one

Yes I agree and it helped us find a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Lando, your driver friend let you down, let your mate down, but worst of all, he let himself down.

Lets have a house party while they're not looking!

i'm starting to get worried about them now, this thread could become a grammer nazi sanctuary :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

when mates let you down dont count on them that simple..

davet82 wrote: »
    i'm starting to get worried about them now, this thread could become a grammer nazi sanctuary :pac:

They're all like, 'Meh, have at it..' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Don't like the way this thread has gone its kind of let me down sort of in a way.

IBTL

Don't like the way this thread has gone its kind of let me down sort of in a way.

Were you expecting great things or something.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A mate of mine when he's had a few drinks too many he'd often pretend to get a phone call and go outside and next thing you'd see him run off in the distance going home and he'd turn off his phone
    I do always say look if your going home just tell me
    Sometimes mates are just weird

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Lando, your driver friend let you down, let your mate down, but worst of all, he let himself down.

IBTL

big bunch of let downs, i blame you lando :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Were you expecting great things or something.. :confused:

Whoosh :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I blame Kfallon for the downfall of this thread.

Its always his fault! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Letting people down happens. It's how you make it up to them that matters and I assume I'm not too bad, as I still have friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Had tickets to a concert with a friend for months, she waited till we were at the gate outside to tell me she was going with some guy she knew a week and walked off to another entrance.

Been about two years now and I never got an apology!

Moved abroad alone about 5 months ago and my three "best friends" haven't been in contact to see if I was doing ok.

I just had bad friends :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Had tickets to a concert with a friend for months, she waited till we were at the gate outside to tell me she was going with some guy she knew a week and walked off to another entrance.

Moved abroad alone about 5 months ago and my three "best friends" haven't been in contact to see if I was doing ok.

Maybe they just think that you're in the next castle.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

A few weeks ago myself and my mate had to go to a mates father’s removal wake thingy up the country in the middle of nowhere. We got lost on the way and I spotted a petrol station and we pulled in for directions.
    There was a car pulling out and I hopped out and got the attention of the driver and asked where the house was.
    “Oh just folle me I’m heading there meself” said the crudely looking character. I ran back to the car and hopped in and just about to say “Great just” when my mate floored it and cut you man up out in front of him and sped off down the road chuckling “Out of my way slow coach”

I yelled what the hell and he replied he not going to be stuck behind a slow coach piece of sh**it.
    I finally got it through that we were meant to be following him and he had to turn and go back, but too late, he had turned off a different road and twenty minutes we finally reached our destination.
    Outside the house I was having a few cans with some fellow wakers when your man comes up to me and said what I did was acting the blaggard and my mate pipes up Yea ya bo***llix Lando ha ha!
    This is not the first time and wont be the last he acted the idiot, but sure he is a mate since year dot and a good one.
    Have your mates ever let you down?

I thought you had to be 17 to get a driver's licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I heard the plumbers are looking for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

have you contacted them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

One mate comes to mind ... lets call him Bill

In 2008 I set Bill up with another mates sister. As he fancied her. You know, the usual, invite him out when the sister was going to be there, introducing, giving them space to chat, putting a word in. The usual stuff. He ends up hooking up with her. Few dates. Doesnt lead to more. But they had fun. Grand I thought.

Fast forward to 2010 and I meet a girl who happens to know Bill. We go on a few dates. Bill gets wind of this as we become friends on facebook. He then tries to burst the bubble. Going as far as to contacting her and saying that I 'wouldnt be suited for her' :rolleyes:

I later learn good ol' Bill tried it on with her in the past and got rejected. I guess since he couldnt get with her... he didnt want his "mate" (me) getting with her either. But yet it was ok for me to try and set him up with my mates sister :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I grew up in England, but have lived here 14 years (since I left school).
    I was still in contact with my 'best' friend from school through letters/phone calls all through the years, and would go to visit her when I went on holidays to England maybe once a year.

4 years ago, she told me she had flights booked and she was coming over here for a holiday. I was fair excited about this, we talked about it on the phone for months beforehand and made plans. I booked the week off work, bought new bed linen for the room she would be sleeping in, and spent a fortune on really nice food. I even hired a car for the week because my own car was not very reliable and we had made plans to go to load's of tourist attractions (Cliff's of Moher, The Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle etc.)

The DAY before she was due to arrive, I rang to ask what time her flight would be arriving in Shannon Airport. She just said to me 'oh, I was just going to ring you. I can't come over after all because my Mum is not very well'. Found out afterwards through mutual friends that her Mum had flu, and it was just an excuse because she didn't want to come over here.

Don't even know whether she ever really booked the flights, or was just bullshitting me. I'v not spoken to her since, and she never tried to offer any other explanation than the flimsy excuse she gave.

**Sorry this turned into a rant, just realised I must be STILL pissed off at her:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

OMFG Post of the Day ISNT a "You Laugh You Lose" post!

Also, of course my mates have let me down. Ive let them down too. Just not so badly that we arent mates any more. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I grew up in England, but have lived here 14 years (since I left school).
    I was still in contact with my 'best' friend from school through letters/phone calls all through the years, and would go to visit her when I went on holidays to England maybe once a year.

4 years ago, she told me she had flights booked and she was coming over here for a holiday. I was fair excited about this, we talked about it on the phone for months beforehand and made plans. I booked the week off work, bought new bed linen for the room she would be sleeping in, and spent a fortune on really nice food. I even hired a car for the week because my own car was not very reliable and we had made plans to go to load's of tourist attractions (Cliff's of Moher, The Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle etc.)

The DAY before she was due to arrive, I rang to ask what time her flight would be arriving in Shannon Airport. She just said to me 'oh, I was just going to ring you. I can't come over after all because my Mum is not very well'. Found out afterwards through mutual friends that her Mum had flu, and it was just an excuse because she didn't want to come over here.

Don't even know whether she ever really booked the flights, or was just bullshitting me. I'v not spoken to her since, and she never tried to offer any other explanation than the flimsy excuse she gave.

**Sorry this turned into a rant, just realised I must be STILL pissed off at her:o

Thats ok rainbowdrop, dosent it feel good to let it all out after bottling it up inside for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I blame Kfallon for the downfall of this thread.

Its always his fault! :mad:

:confused: I said nothing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

When my marriage broke down I found out quite quickly who my friends were.
    Also I had an operation a few weeks ago and the one person who I was sure would be there to offer help with the kids or make us dinner was nowhere to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

friends will come and go but family will always be by your side

I like my friends but never trust them a 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

123balltv wrote: »

I like my friends but never trust them a 100%[/QUOTE

what a crock. Its everyone for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

123balltv wrote: »

I like my friends but never trust them a 100%

Agree 100%
    scrubber72 wrote: »
    what a crock. Its everyone for themselves.

Depends on your family doesnt it.

Sure some people would treat a stranger better than their own brother... i never got that. Unless the brother was an absolute dick or something. But generally your family is more likely to be there for you than some random "mate" who is only out for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

i have very little in common with my family, much closer to my friends

When I got married my elder brother (age ~30 at the time) was giving out on the phone that it was awkward to attend due to some travel arrangements from work - he would have had to take a flight to attend (apparently telling work to **** off was not an option). I was way too polite and said it was ok not to come if he couldnt manage it....and he said ok! Couldnt believe it, my own brother didnt turn up for my wedding! I had been his best man and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Nothing worse than having the suspense built up for a night out or a trip somewhere interesting ... only to get the dreaded " Not going now .... too few/not enough going... " text :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oOjimbobOo

Yeah, I screwed the mates missus loads of times then married her, what an awful cúnt I am. It would've happened no matter what, she was chasing me for about two years until I gave in.

The mate in question, I haven't seen him since, that was 11 years ago.

If she did the dirt on him.................:D

Advertisement