Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3FE experience

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    It's not an accusation it's an opinion. One I stand over.

well you're entitled to it. how ever wrong it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See these...
    20120223184117_1875.jpg
    They are handbags. Put them down & quit the bitching & sniping.

This thread is to discuss the 3FE Experience. Discuss that.

Discussion of personalities & their relative objectivity on Facebook, twitter, personal blogs, etc is off-topic &, like it or not, is not relevant to how 3FE serve their coffee & treat their customers.

See this...
    sledgehammer.jpg
    This is a ban-hammer. I'll be using this if the thread continues off-topic.

Thanks for your attention.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

3FE experience can't say I have ever had one, it's never open when I want to get coffee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When do you drink coffee? It's open all day from what I can see, GCS anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I am never in the city during the day and when I am in the evening it's morphed into a hipster bar and there are covers over the machines.
    And what I have seen of it in the evenings really does not say to me it's a relaxing place to try sit and have a coffee even during the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sharrow wrote: »
    I am never in the city during the day and when I am in the evening it's morphed into a hipster bar and there are covers over the machines.
    And what I have seen of it in the evenings really does not say to me it's a relaxing place to try sit and have a coffee even during the day.

In fairness I'd say it's completely different as a bar in the evenings than a coffee shop during the day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

puffishoes wrote: »
    well you're entitled to it. how ever wrong it is.

Look at the end of the day your cupasoup analogy was just ridiculous, it is nothing like that. The difference between actual soup made by some manner of genius chef vs. cupasoup is not in anyway comporable to batch vs. chemex.
    Ok that's my problem with your argument, so do you still stand over that? because that's just madness.

And just to seem really bias I will also say that RE*ACT*OR has made no bones about sticking the boot in wherever he sees fit, be it friends or family, so generally his objectivity should be seen as on a par with the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I think we're getting to the stage where coffee is suffering from diminishing returns.
    We have so much excellent coffee that a great coffee can end up being ok or poor in comparison.

Doodee and I once a week goto 3fe and have 2 espressos and a filtered each to do comparisons and to expand our tasting knowledge of coffee.
    We've had some coffees that one of us liked but one of us disliked, but always the coffee has been prepared correctly and i've never felt that the quality and care has slipped.

The first cup of speciality coffee I had was Black Cat from an Aeropress, and I've never felt that anything I've drank in any coffee shop has matched the emotional feeling I had to that first cup, but in reality every week I'm drinking coffees that are far better prepared than that first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote: »
    And just to seem really bias I will also say that RE*ACT*OR has made no bones about sticking the boot in wherever he sees fit, be it friends or family, so generally his objectivity should be seen as on a par with the rest of us.

Yeah, I'm a right bastard.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Look at the end of the day your cupasoup analogy was just ridiculous, it is nothing like that. The difference between actual soup made by some manner of genius chef vs. cupasoup is not in anyway comporable to batch vs. chemex.
    Ok that's my problem with your argument, so do you still stand over that? because that's just madness.

The cup o soup statement is getting out of control. it was to point out the argument of "you got what you asked for" not the quality of the coffee or barista serving the coffee. but the statement.

As per the mods warning I won't be discussing reactor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Anyway - the real issue is this business of Colin's ideal customers wearing "skinny jeans". Between that and the rumour I heard about topping up the Marco with Maxwell House, I'm not sure if I like the direction 3FE is going. It'll be iced coffee next.

puffishoes wrote: »
    The cup o soup statement is getting out of control. it was to point out the argument of "you got what you asked for" not the quality of the coffee or barista serving the coffee. but the statement.

As per the mods warning I won't be discussing reactor.

Once again - there's no identifiable quality downside to filter from a Marco - consequently the cup-a-soup business is, as stated, ridiculous. The OP asked for filter, and got filter. He just didn't like it as much as previous filter.

alastair wrote: »
    Once again - there's no identifiable quality downside to filter from a Marco - consequently the cup-a-soup business is, as stated, ridiculous. The OP asked for filter, and got filter. He just didn't like it as much as previous filter.

hmm,

so..

"you got what you asked for" nnot the quality of the coffee or barista serving the coffee. but the statement.

oki?

Despite, or possibly because of, the big type size, I've no idea what you're trying to articulate.

alastair wrote: »
    Despite, or possibly because of, the big type size, I've no idea what you're trying to articulate.

no problem i'll leave it there and you can ponder over it with a coffee.

You seem a clever enough chap.

the penny will drop at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It is entirely possible you got a cup of coffee from 3FE that was below par. Next time, send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

alastair & puffishoes - have a break, have a Kit Kat & when you come back no more handbags or it'll be for a damn sight longer.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Not sure why this seems to be so confusing for people.

This should clear it up.

THREAD TITLE:

3FE experience

The mod has requested we discuss the above, so let me give you what used to be a very regular occurance.

"Hi: How can I help you"

"I'll have a filter"

"nice, what sort of flavors blah blah do you usually like? chocolate? fruits la la la"

"oh I love x y and z and i liked b and d"

"Ok, I just brewed up bolivan blow your mind for chap A at the bar there, maybe you would like to try it? and if it's not to your taste i can do something else"

"sound's great"

I take my cup take a seat have a read of the paper/book/whatever

Barista comes down and asks was it to my taste or would I prefer to try something else. flows into a story on coffee or taste or whatever.

Now, I understand this sort of attention cannot be afforded every single time to every single person, but the above is what I call an expperience.

What the OP described was not an _expirience_

Why there is any argument about this I cannot phatom.

The "experience" ppc and doodee have been known in 3fe is a bit like the expireince a known michilin star reviewer will get in any restraunt I'm sure and as honest as I'm sure they're. I don't think in this instance their expirience can hold too much weight.

Regular's everywhere generally get a different expirience than everyone else be it in a pub a hotel or a cafe.

with the amount of cups 3fe are now serving if they don't give an "expirience" to 5/10% of customers then this is a fairly large amount of punters each they not getting the expirience.

Glad to have got that sorted. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

What I like about 3FE is if you are in the mood to talk about coffee they are very happy to talk with you. And other days when you just want the damn cup and dont fancy a chat they are happy to just serve up. Either way you get quality coffee and as much or as little chat as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

I remember back in the early days 3FE sold this fantastic brownie made from Coffee beans (stand to be corrected). Any chance of this returning? It was immense with a filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Had a lovely takeaway coffee made by aero press in 3fe last Thursday. Nice friendly girl served me. Was so nice to get a cup at the right temp that you don't scald yourself on the first mouthful!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

qwert2 wrote: »
    I remember back in the early days 3FE sold this fantastic brownie made from Coffee beans (stand to be corrected). Any chance of this returning? It was immense with a filter.

We actually had Limoncillo Pacamara Espresso flavoured cheesecake on last week! I'll talk to the chefs about brownies ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I paid my first visit to 3FE on Lower Grand Canal street today - it's way nicer than the other gaffe. I asked for a filter and when I told the barista that I was thinking of buying an Aeropress he was delighted to demonstrate how to get the best out of one. It's really great to know that you're not only not hassling them with such a request but that they seem to genuinely delight in doing so. It was a terrific brew too so hats off for an all around great experience.

Oh, I didn't buy the Aeropress in the end because I thought €30 was a bit steep when Badger & Dodo sell them for €26

trap4 wrote: »
    I paid my first visit to 3FE on Lower Grand Canal street today - it's way nicer than the other gaffe. I asked for a filter and when I told the barista that I was thinking of buying an Aeropress he was delighted to demonstrate how to get the best out of one. It's really great to know that you're not only not hassling them with such a request but that they seem to genuinely delight in doing so. It was a terrific brew too so hats off for an all around great experience.

Oh, I didn't buy the Aeropress in the end because I thought €30 was a bit steep when Badger & Dodo sell them for €26

do badger and dodowhoodo give you a demonstration on how to use them and how to get the best out of one and yadayda?

seems like a great deal for an extra 4e :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

3fe also give you a discount on coffee that you buy with your aeropress so you really did miss a trick here i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

Unless the discount was greater than the initial €4 difference, then the Aeropress buyer didn't lose outrolleyes.gif. As for the demo, it's nice that enthused staff will do the likes, but I wouldn't pay over 10% extra when there are countless guides on the web anyway.

you are assuming that you only buy one bag of coffee also.
    Buy two bags and you are on up on the deal :)

How about you list the prices and we'll see if that discount really stands up, bearing in mind that you can usually order the same coffee a fair bit cheaper from hasbean's website:)

8 euro coffee reduced to 5 bucks.

The discrepancy is heavily offset by the good feeling of supporting a local business done good. :)

Fair point about the discrepancy being offset by supporting local. I bought my aeropress from Badger and Dodo at a farmers' market in Cork, so I got the same fuzzy feeling for a few quid less:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

trap4 wrote: »

A bricks and mortar is never going to be able to match/compete on price with an online store. Then you also need to factor in paying for postage and the wait for the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 meallat

I only stumbled across this thread now, I'll stick to the original topic and throw in my opinion of MY 3FE experience.

I returned home after a year in Melbourne about two weeks ago, totally depressed with the prospect of never again having a decent brew; the Melbourne coffee scene blew my mind. I was ECSTATIC to find that there are quite a few specialty coffee houses that have popped up in Dublin, I must not have been clued in before I left Ireland, and that each one holds its own. Admittedly every café serious about farm to cup brewing that I've visited has been serving Has Bean coffee, which brings their product up a notch. Colin and the team at 3FE however have seriously got it right. Simple layout, alternative brew methods, choices and information available from ANY of the staff, and fresh simple food. I cannot articulate how much I love the vibe and the idea behind this establishment. Long may it reign, and give mediocre cafes a push to up their game, otherwise I'll have to keep travelling into the city for a decent cup!

Advertisement