Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Science 2012 (HL & OL)

Options
  • 12-06-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Science(HL & OL)
    Thursday, June 14th
    9:30 - 11:30

All discussion and questions about Science(HL & OL) goes here, please clearly state the level you are referring to in your reply's title.

Best of wishes to everyone and best of luck!

Music4Life085

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Science is my worst subject and I'm worried.. Does anyone have any predictions? Really need some.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

I so hope I get an A in science. It's my favourite subject along with music and as I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and probably Physics next year, I want to get a good result in it. :pac:

Anyone nervous about a particular section of the course?

Shane15 wrote: »
    Science is my worst subject and I'm worried.. Does anyone have any predictions? Really need some.

Sorry, our teacher this year is useless and she hasn't given us any predictions... The section on ecology with collecting animals and all that comes up every year so make sure you know that. Really sorry that I can't help you any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

OwlYouNeed wrote: »
    Sorry, our teacher this year is useless and she hasn't given us any predictions...

That doesn't really make a teacher useless.

Anyway, it's impossible to predict what's going to come up with science...you really need to know everything because one paragraph in the textbook could come up as half a question in the exam.

Anyway, it's impossible to predict what's going to come up with science...you really need to know everything because one paragraph in the textbook could come up as half a question in the exam.

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean to imply that she was useless because she gave us no predictions. She's just a very bad teacher in that she allows her nephew in the class to get away with anything, gave us "Fun Fridays" in which she gave us a free class and did her own work, and barely covered the course (she covered about 6 chapters in chemistry, the ones on bonding and alkili and alkiline earth metals, in our last two classes. ie, she rushed through them and the class hasn't a clue of them.)

There's a few other reasons but I'll not mention them.

Hope I didn't come off as... whiny there. Sorry about the confusion. :p

Oh, I agree that it's too difficult to predict for the exam. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Science is damn near unpredictable, if not completely unpredictable because there's just so much in the course! The main topics I'd recommend studying would be:

-Ecology, comes up almost every year

-Acids and bases, usually overlooked by many students, and some find it difficult.

-Electricity, this may be just a personal one as I find it quite difficult. Not able to grasp voltmeters or ampmeters or whatever they're called.

-The heart, comes up quite often

-Also the bones in the upper arm and upper leg, which are the humerus and femur, respectively.

-Ionic and covalent bonding.

With science you really just have to study as much as you can and hope you get the questions you know, but it's one of my favourite subjects because if you get it right the examiner has to give you the marks whereas in English they don't if they disagree with you.
    That said I also like questions with variety but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 silentscreams

somebody help!! ive studied a bit of science last week. but not up to full standard. should i just study the exam papers and the marking schemes??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

somebody help!! ive studied a bit of science last week. but not up to full standard. should i just study the exam papers and the marking schemes??!
    http://studyclix.ie/Subjects/Junior-Cert-Higher-Science-Revised-Syllabus

Find your worst areas here, then just keep doing the questions. Marking scheme is just a click away.

Find your worst areas here, then just keep doing the questions. Marking scheme is just a click away.

THANKS A MILLION!
    is that all we need to know???

THANKS A MILLION!
    is that all we need to know???
    I presume so, but please check if any chapters from the book aren't on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Daledge wrote: »
    Science is damn near unpredictable, if not completely unpredictable because there's just so much in the course! The main topics I'd recommend studying would be:

-Ecology, comes up almost every year

-Acids and bases, usually overlooked by many students, and some find it difficult.

-Electricity, this may be just a personal one as I find it quite difficult. Not able to grasp voltmeters or ampmeters or whatever they're called.

-The heart, comes up quite often

-Also the bones in the upper arm and upper leg, which are the humerus and femur, respectively.

-Ionic and covalent bonding.

With science you really just have to study as much as you can and hope you get the questions you know, but it's one of my favourite subjects because if you get it right the examiner has to give you the marks whereas in English they don't if they disagree with you.
    That said I also like questions with variety but that's another story.

:confused: That's not entirely true. There is hardly any right or wrong answers in English. If you have good quotes and reasonable/valid points to back up what you write, you'll get the marks on it.

Anyways, as others have pointed out, Science is quite unpredictable. There are too many short questions taken from too many chapters it's hard to say what they will choose next. Although, my teacher told us to study all equations (word and chemical) and ecology.

Thanks for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mmmaebh

thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭I hate school

If i just done these questions for every chapter would I be ready for tommorow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thecrammer

Cheers :D

i would also like to mention that i used to be a B science student in 1st+2nd year.. my grades began getting worse in 3rd year simply because of the new teacher(not an excuse) i began slacking and not giving a number 2 about science because i was angry how bad the teacher is. i just thought the information would absorb into my brain somehow. my class even wrote a letter to our yearhead that we would like a different sci teacher!! but i honestly really like science and have an interest. its just the teacher!! hopefully ill have a different teacher but im definetly goin to improve:)
    anyways im studying science now. i studied a bit last week. but now im going over past exam papers. will going over the past q's get a decent mark?? i really want at least a B because im planning to do medicine after school.

If i just done these questions for every chapter would I be ready for tommorow :)

No. That only covers from 2006 I believe. Do all the questions in your book in your head. (Not actually joking here.)

No. That only covers from 2006 I believe. Do all the questions in your book in your head. (Not actually joking here.)
    Yeah but 2006 is when the new syllabus came out :)

Yeah but 2006 is when the new syllabus came out :)

Yes, so every question possible to be asked has not been. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

I'm screwed for this.

• Advertisement

I'm just writing down questions that have been asked for each topic then learning them.

I'm just writing down questions that have been asked for each topic then learning them.
    What grade are you aiming for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jeanie96

GOOD LUCK GUYS. And remember, the answer is always carbon dioxide. :D

There's more than 2006 on that website, if that's what you're talking about. I've seen 2007/2009 etc. It states what year the question is from.

What grade are you aiming for ?

At this point a B/C.

There's more than 2006 on that website, if that's what you're talking about. I've seen 2007/2009 etc. It states what year the question is from.

from 2006 = 2006 onwards

That only covers questions from 2006 = 2006 onwards or you could interpret it as only 2006

:P

from 2006 = 2006 onwards

That only covers questions from 2006 = 2006 onwards or you could interpret it as only 2006

:P

Ahh ok :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2creator

OwlYouNeed wrote: »

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean to imply that she was useless because she gave us no predictions. She's just a very bad teacher in that she allows her nephew in the class to get away with anything, gave us "Fun Fridays" in which she gave us a free class and did her own work, and barely covered the course (she covered about 6 chapters in chemistry, the ones on bonding and alkili and alkiline earth metals, in our last two classes. ie, she rushed through them and the class hasn't a clue of them.)

There's a few other reasons but I'll not mention them.

Hope I didn't come off as... whiny there. Sorry about the confusion. :p

Oh, I agree that it's too difficult to predict for the exam. :D

We have had 6 science teachers in 3 years. Beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Can't seen to find the relevant thread so how did ye all do?

I did Higher Level, got the book completed and was out an hour before it was expected to finish. I though it was really easy and the questions we're fair!

So how did ye do?

UPDATE: I just noticed Music4Life085's thread right now, I was on my phone when posting this thread and didn't come across it. Apologies all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

lee3155 wrote: »
    Can't seen to find the relevant thread so how did ye all do?

I did Higher Level, got the book completed and was one an hour before it was expected to finish. I though it was really easy and the questions we're fair!

So how did ye do?
    Found this really easy, got everything but 9 (d). Left after 45 mins :)

Advertisement