Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Science 2012 (HL & OL)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

What percentage for the books you have already handed in???
    Is it only 10% for everything so exam today was for 90%???
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DaleHyland

nickys wrote: »
    What percentage for the books you have already handed in???
    Is it only 10% for everything so exam today was for 90%???
    Thanks
    Experiments are 10% , investigations are 25% , so today was worth 65%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

lee3155 wrote: »
    Darn, I said they warped because of the heat. Technically right yeah?

If you said it was warped because of heat, you might. I have no idea what the marking scheme is, none of us do!

You should definately. Remember you get a percent for your experiments copy alongside of your project which you filled in prior to the Junior Cert.

I say for the experiments and copy I got maybe around 27%. I tried my best and hopefully it pays back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jackoismydog

i found the exam really easy, ive been studying for ages, it was great! im sure that i have gotten an A:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Do you know the one with the biology experiment, could you use 2 separate leaves instead of covering one with a bit of tinfoil. I said cover one leaf with tinfoil and then later on in the experiment I said use another leaf that had no tinfoil on it. Is that still correct? Don't really see how it's wrong?

Do you know the one with the biology experiment, could you use 2 separate leaves instead of covering one with a bit of tinfoil. I said cover one leaf with tinfoil and then later on in the experiment I said use another leaf that had no tinfoil on it. Is that still correct? Don't really see how it's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 harich56

I think you've got the wrong experiment. I'm pretty sure it was: 1 boil the leaf to kill it
    2: Place leaf in beaker with methylated spirits (alcohol) to kill chlorophyll
    3 place the leaf on a white tile
    4. Add iodine to test for starch

Results: color change to blue/black

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mark !

harich56 wrote: »
    I think you've got the wrong experiment. I'm pretty sure it was: 1 boil the leaf to kill it

^^ I said that but I forgot it was iodine and said you had to use universal indicator. Think I'll get any marks?

You will definitely get marks!
    Its done now I'm sure you did great!

• Advertisement

It's done differently in my book. It says that you put it in darkness to de-starch and cover one leaf in tinfoil.

Then take it out and put it in sunlight to re-starch but the leaf that was covered in tinfoil could not re-starch.

Take the leaf that had the tinfoil and any other leaf.

Then boil both leaves in alcohol to get rid of pigmentation.

Test for starch. Iodine turns blue/black on the one that was exposed to light and stays yellow on the leaf that was covered in tin foil.

This shows that the plant makes starch by photosynthesis.

If I wrote something like that, would I get many marks?

You will definitely get marks!
    Its done now I'm sure you did great!

Haha thanks, inspirational words :p you too.

^^ Thats Full Marks. Mine is just a simplified version.

Carbon Dioxide test? couldn't think at all

This is what i put. I showed a test tube with air inside
    1. Place limewater inside testube
    2. Suck air in through tube.
    3. Limewater turns milky cause Co2 is present

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

What was the one in Physics about what the water molecules needed to evaporate? Was it heat?

Physics contained a lot of elecricity in my opinion. Chemistry and biology were grand though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Oozamine

Junokevv wrote: »

So basiclly you are just using the 2nd leaf as a control,should be ok in my opinion,wat do u think about the train track rusting as an answer :S

Oozamine wrote: »
    So basiclly you are just using the 2nd leaf as a control,should be ok in my opinion,wat do u think about the train track rusting as an answer :S

I wouldn't say rust because it was clearly "warped" due to the heat expanding it. Even if it was rust, it would more than likely be straight, sorry.

Junokevv wrote: »

I forgot to put in a control for this but I said that it didn't contain starch, the iodine wouldn't turn it dark blue. Is that okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

This is what i put. I showed a test tube with air inside
    1. Place limewater inside testube
    2. Suck air in through tube.
    3. Limewater turns milky cause Co2 is present

I said the same thing except I said blow, wouldn't make much of a difference though would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Overall, I feel I managed a B or so. It was an okay paper. Science isn't my strongest.

Upon hindsight, I really messed up some questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sophieee

for the train tracks, i said rusting was the cause, will i get some marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Sophieee wrote: »
    for the train tracks, i said rusting was the cause, will i get some marks?

the marking scheme has not been made yet so i do not think anyone can answer the question. I put rust down aswell because i thought that it was too warped to be heat expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

quick q : were you supposed to get a set of log tables for that exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

quick q : were you supposed to get a set of log tables for that exam?

Nope, but they we're, well they should have been available on request from the superintendent.

My superintendent asked if we needed them and we all put up our hands so she just gave them out to all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Nope, but they we're, well they should have been available on request from the superintendent.

My superintendent asked if we needed them and we all put up our hands so she just gave them out to all of us.
    Ohhh. :P
    I figured we shoudn't have got them at all since most of Q4 was answerable after reading the back of them :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

For the solubility of CO2 I said that when the heat was added the cO2 was evaporated so less CO2 could be dissolved. IS THIS RIGHT??????

for the question on the ldr i drew a circuit with a ldr battery and led is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

Leinsterr wrote: »
    For the solubility of CO2 I said that when the heat was added the cO2 was evaporated so less CO2 could be dissolved. IS THIS RIGHT??????
    My daughter is really worried about physics
    Can anyone help with answers for that section?

• Advertisement

was the one with the straw refraction lads?

Advertisement