Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Science 2012 (HL & OL)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

The blood is a tissue because it has many similar cells working together to perform a special function. Correct??????

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

Leinsterr wrote: »
    The blood is a tissue because it has many similar cells working together to perform a special function. Correct??????
    yeah, i think so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

They'll definitely allow both because so many people said both it seems to be a fifty fifty ratio!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

Did ye all use tables?

ohsurelook wrote: »
    Did ye all use tables?
    you mean log tables? i did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Emer B

A7XGirl wrote: »
    This was probably a dumb thing to put, but I said that the cause was acid rain and it corrodes the train tracks..Will I get any marks?

I didn't have a clue how to do that one so I just put down the exact same answer as you. Glad I wasn't the only one because everyone is saying they put down something to do with heat so I'm not sure what it is but I thought I'd guess anyway better than leaving a blank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

ohsurelook wrote: »
    Did ye all use tables?

Hahaha yeah we wrote on tables wbu?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

Hahaha yeah we wrote on tables wbu?

Really? Cos I heard you were supposed to write on the exam paper.

Two can play at this game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

physics
    Hey guys. whoever was asking for physics answers these are mine. im pretty confident i got an A so here
    Question 1
    a) evaporation is when a liquid is heated to the point where it becomes a gas
    a) heat
    b)AC currents can travel both regular and reverse,DC currents can only flow one way
    c)what causes the second straw is refraction. This is the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another. The light always get pulled towards the denser medium.
    d)any 2 energy conservations.

Question 2
    e)it was hard to tell. I put down corrosion/rusting- a corrosive mixture is formed with the air. it corrodes the track.
    Some people also said heat expansion for this. however this i think could be unlikely.
    f)bottom hole-why? pressure in liquids increases with depth.
    g)how does a fuse work? A fuse is a weak link in a circuit. It acts as a circuit breaker. It is designed, when overloaded, to melt the material withing the fuse instead of the wire melting or catching fire.
    h) pick any 2 renewable energy e.g solar and tidal/water
    Advantages : renewable energy, cheap electicity, used to generate hep
    Disadvantages: solar panels are expensive, less sun if cloudy outside, dont work great at night. Tidal depends on waves . also very expensive

Question 3
    a) pressure is the force per unit of area, its measure in pascals.
    2)easy graph
    ii)straight line-are in proportion and the greater the pressure the higher the temperature
    iii)the boiling point of water would decrease

b)This meter is connected
    into the electricity consumer’s domestic circuit and it can measure energy
    consumption in a selected part of the circuit, the total energy used and cost it.
    ii)average power equals work done divided by time taken. or joule per second
    iii)chemical effect is electrolysis. it seperates hyrdrogen and oxygen from water
    magnetic effect is put a magnet next to a circuit. arrow will spin.

question 4
    b is a resistor
    c is a led or light emmitting diode
    ii) a is a battery. supplies current/electricity
    b is resistor. controls amount of current in a circuit so that the led doesnt blow
    iii) i drew a diagram of a ldr, ohmeter and led

B) static electricity , static charge etc,
    C) like poles repel unlike poles attract
    in diagram they are like poles
    d)name : sound
    Causes things to move (vibrations)
    there you nicky. i think you were asking for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Ohhh. :P
    I figured we shoudn't have got them at all since most of Q4 was answerable after reading the back of them :P

Tell me about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    physics
    Hey guys. whoever was asking for physics answers these are mine. im pretty confident i got an A so here
    Question 1
    a) evaporation is when a liquid is heated to the point where it becomes a gas
    a) heat
    b)AC currents can travel both regular and reverse,DC currents can only flow one way
    c)what causes the second straw is refraction. This is the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another. The light always get pulled towards the denser medium.
    d)any 2 energy conservations.

Question 2
    e)it was hard to tell. I put down corrosion/rusting- a corrosive mixture is formed with the air. it corrodes the track.
    Some people also said heat expansion for this. however this i think could be unlikely.
    f)bottom hole-why? pressure in liquids increases with depth.
    g)how does a fuse work? A fuse is a weak link in a circuit. It acts as a circuit breaker. It is designed, when overloaded, to melt the material withing the fuse instead of the wire melting or catching fire.
    h) pick any 2 renewable energy e.g solar and tidal/water
    Advantages : renewable energy, cheap electicity, used to generate hep
    Disadvantages: solar panels are expensive, less sun if cloudy outside, dont work great at night. Tidal depends on waves . also very expensive

Question 3
    a) pressure is the force per unit of area, its measure in pascals.
    2)easy graph
    ii)straight line-are in proportion and the greater the pressure the higher the temperature
    iii)the boiling point of water would decrease

b)This meter is connected
    into the electricity consumer’s domestic circuit and it can measure energy
    consumption in a selected part of the circuit, the total energy used and cost it.
    ii)average power equals work done divided by time taken. or joule per second
    iii)chemical effect is electrolysis. it seperates hyrdrogen and oxygen from water
    magnetic effect is put a magnet next to a circuit. arrow will spin.

question 4
    b is a resistor
    c is a led or light emmitting diode
    ii) a is a battery. supplies current/electricity
    b is resistor. controls amount of current in a circuit so that the led doesnt blow
    iii) i drew a diagram of a ldr, ohmeter and led

B) static electricity , static charge etc,
    C) like poles repel unlike poles attract
    in diagram they are like poles
    d)name : sound
    Causes things to move (vibrations)
    there you nicky. i think you were asking for them :D

I actually did well! I got the resistor wrong, I said fuse but only realised after leaving the exam. I said it was heat expansion because in our book it said about the bimetallic strip and it looked similar to that, it will be interesting to see the marking schemes. You wouldn't happen to have the answers for Biology and Chemistry? :)

Troxck wrote: »
    I actually did well! I got the resistor wrong, I said fuse but only realised after leaving the exam. I said it was heat expansion because in our book it said about the bimetallic strip and it looked similar to that, it will be interesting to see the marking schemes. You wouldn't happen to have the answers for Biology and Chemistry? :)
    i posted my own bio + chem answers a page back, there probably wrong but yeah xD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

yoyojc wrote: »
    They'll definitely allow both because so many people said both it seems to be a fifty fifty ratio!!

That's not how it works.
    They will give the marks to the ones who gave the right answer.

Just wondering how those who put rust think rust caused the tracks to buckle?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

spurious wrote: »
    That's not how it works.
    They will give the marks to the ones who gave the right answer.

Just wondering how those who put rust think rust caused the tracks to buckle?

That's what I thought, it's impossible :p

The expansion answer was right methinks :B

i posted my own bio + chem answers a page back, there probably wrong but yeah xD

They can't be worse than mine, thanks.

They can't be worse than mine, thanks.
    I'm sure you got on fine. :)

I'm sure you got on fine. :)

Physics was grand and biology was okay but Chemistry was awful, pretty sure it brought me down. Thank god for the experiment project and notebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

Ya is was going to put rust but then I saw that the tracks were buckled and I thought how could rust do that? So I did the heat expansion

Physics was grand and biology was okay but Chemistry was awful, pretty sure it brought me down. Thank god for the experiment project and notebook!
    biology was definately my worst, the kidneys and that stupid ****ing flower >.<
    the one thing i dont look at .. like at all and it comes up >.<
    i thought physics was ok, 9D was the only hard part for me.

biology was definately my worst, the kidneys and that stupid ****ing flower >.<
    the one thing i dont look at .. like at all and it comes up >.<
    i thought physics was ok, 9D was the only hard part for me.

Yeah, I said gravity for some reason then the second I walked out I was like "S**t, I should of said sound"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

bottom hole

That was awkward to write down.

Yeah, I said gravity for some reason then the second I walked out I was like "S**t, I should of said sound"
    OMFG. Same here. i just left it blank and walked out after that, sound would of been the best answer.

OMFG. Same here. i just left it blank and walked out after that, sound would of been the best answer.

For the question I said heat because heat expands metals. I used the bimetallic strip as an example, is that right? I can't see how rust is the answer!

For the question I said heat because heat expands metals. I used the bimetallic strip as an example, is that right? I can't see how rust is the answer!
    was heat an enviromental factor?
    the picture was an absolute bitch imo to decipher. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DigACharmander

For the photosynthesis starch experiment, I just said you took a leaf from a plant which you left in sun light. Then tested it for starch using iodine (I stretched it out and only had a line and a half left and did a diagram). Would I get any marks? I had the right one in my head in the exam and thought ''No! Why would you need to leave it overnight Jack? Be sensible!''. ****ing sensible Jack always causing me problems.

I really wanted a B in that test and worked really hard from my pre. I knew like every answer in the exam papers. But today, I just I blanked I guess. I dunno. I got 59 in my pre with no work so I'm hoping I'll still get a C but I added up my marks in the exam; Got about 42 on stuff I knew was right. 61% on educated guesses added in.

was heat an enviromental factor?
    the picture was an absolute bitch imo to decipher. :P

It will be interesting to see the marking scheme...

For the photosynthesis starch experiment, I just said you took a leaf from a plant which you left in sun light. Then tested it for starch using iodine (I stretched it out and only had a line and a half left and did a diagram). Would I get any marks? I had the right one in my head in the exam and thought ''No! Why would you need to leave it overnight Jack? Be sensible!''. ****ing sensible Jack always causing me problems.

I really wanted a B in that test and worked really hard from my pre. I knew like every answer in the exam papers. But today, I just I blanked I guess. I dunno. I got 59 in my pre with no work so I'm hoping I'll still get a C but I added up my marks in the exam; Got about 42 on stuff I knew was right. 61% on educated guesses added in.
    thats technically correct, but at the same time your kinda saying that all leaves under any condition have starch, i think you needed to mention the leaf wrapped in tinfoil/aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Increasing Meteornium

Was Bart Simpson on the test somewhere or am I going insane?
    I just looked up the exam papers and I can't find him.

Was Bart Simpson on the test somewhere or am I going insane?
    I just looked up the exam papers and I can't find him.
    yeah, he was at the top of one of the pages. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Increasing Meteornium

Ignore me, the .pdf didn't load correctly. :L

Advertisement