Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom wep or wpa

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Looking for some help!

I have 8mb next generation but constantly dropping below 1mb. I dont expect 8mb but surely 4 or 5mb?

I have the new zyxel router the second one eircom sent out and I am still getting the same issues. Working great some of the time and other times having to constantly reset the box due to speeds dropping below 0.5 mb.

5 euro in call credit gone yesterday after ringing tech support only to find he has changed the security to wep. He says that will sort out the issues. I would rather have wpa I think from what i am told.

1. Is wep good enough
    2. If I bought a better router would that help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You may as well have no security as WEP.

Presumably you are connecting by wireless. Connect using a cable and check the speed over a reasonable period of time.

Wireless is subject to all sorts of RF interference from other devices (routers, video senders, baby alarms etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Someone with the ability to Google could crack WEP in 5 minutes. I presume it's the Zyxel modem. It's a known issue that this router forces WPA re-authentication every few minutes, but this does not affect speeds. Login and take the wireless channel off auto and change it till you get a better one without interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

WPA or WEP are weak on their Own,

Can be Cracked within a few hours or a day or 2.. have tested but 128bit WPA and cracked it in 2 days, using Aircrack n1

to Fully make sure no one can get into your Network

I would use

WPA
    Mac Filter -> This will give it extra protection your Router will check the Mac Table to see if the Mac Address of the Computer is in the Table if it is it will allow it into the Network, if the Mac is not on the Table the Router will not allow the Computer on the Network even if it has the WPA password word..

(This can also be hacked but very hard.. to spoof the mac Address..)

Time Zone your Router.. if your going to be at work at different times of the day or you know the internet is not going to be used you can block off all data to and from the router at those times..

Hide your Wifi Signal but you will need to know how to Manual Add PoE and other settings for this option..

Advertisement