Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Recommendations

Options
  • 14-06-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I used to be a big reader, but I've hardly read a page over the last couple of years.

Going on holidays soon, and have no idea what books to take with me.

My favourites before were Richard Ford, Don DeLillo, Cormac McCarthy, Paul Auster.

Any good new ones similar?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Try one of the undisputed classics of the postwar era to get you back in the swing of things:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller: Tragicomedy of the highest order.

1984 by George Orwell: Everyone should get round to reading this at some stage.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey: Wonderful novel I read earlier in the year. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

duckworth wrote: »
    I used to be a big reader, but I've hardly read a page over the last couple of years.

Going on holidays soon, and have no idea what books to take with me.

My favourites before were Richard Ford, Don DeLillo, Cormac McCarthy, Paul Auster.

Any good new ones similar?

Based on that list of authors, your next read should be 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick de Witt.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Thanks for the recs Denerick - actually I've read those ones, but I may revisit.

Will deffo check out the de Witt book - looks very Cormac McCarthy-ish.

Advertisement