Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decisions?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi I am really stuck i have been offered an arts degree course in UCD in history and political and international relations. But NUI Maynooth have offered me law and arts. Anyone with any information on these degree courses and how they found them would be greatly appreciated. I live in Dundrum Dublin so UCD is easier in a logistic sence. But people have been telling me great things about NUI ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I don't know a lot about these courses, but just incase you're not aware, you will only actually be given a place in whichever course is higher on your CAO form, so if you decide you want to do the other one you'll need to change your form by 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Muir wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about these courses, but just incase you're not aware, you will only actually be given a place in whichever course is higher on your CAO form, so if you decide you want to do the other one you'll need to change your form by 1st July.

Hi yes I know that's why I'm starting to fret as I only have one shot here and I need to make sure I make the right choice. But both degree subjects really intrest me I know the arts in ucd I was offered I would ace. The law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

What would you graduate NUI with, a BCL/LLB/BA?
    You and I seem to have gone for an awful lot of the same courses! I got offered History, politics and international relations too.
    If your leaning is towards law, as long as they're recognised by kings inns etc., I'd go for NUI. I think basing a decision this big on where's handier to get to could well be something that would haunt you.
    I too have heard lots of good things about them...and, frankly, quite a few worrying things about UCD.

What would you graduate NUI with, a BCL/LLB/BA?
    You and I seem to have gone for an awful lot of the same courses! I got offered History, politics and international relations too.
    If your leaning is towards law, as long as they're recognised by kings inns etc., I'd go for NUI. I think basing a decision this big on where's handier to get to could well be something that would haunt you.
    I too have heard lots of good things about them...and, frankly, quite a few worrying things about UCD.

It's the B.C.L in NUI. I know what your saying about the travel but I'm taking a very big chance on going to uni as I have 3 youngish kids and I have to look at the running cost of both colleges. And the time away.
    I also know heard great things about nui
    Have u decide yourself what to do

sean1976 wrote: »
    It's the B.C.L in NUI. I know what your saying about the travel but I'm taking a very big chance on going to uni as I have 3 youngish kids and I have to look at the running cost of both colleges. And the time away.

Getting nervous about Trinity. They asked me to confirm, in writing, my intention to accept their offer so I wrote to admissions AND emailed them...with no reply. Won't count my chickens 'til the official CAO comes out! All things going to plan though, I'll be doing law there.
    The law and politics course at UCD was a tempter, but I should be able to pick up a few political electives at Trinity or maybe even swap over to law & political science...not sure how easy that is to be honest so I'm kind of making that bit up!
    I suppose with yourself, after you factor in the cost of getting to NUI you'd have to ask yourself do you fancy adding a few hours onto your day for 4 years. I did an access course this past year and a few of the students had partners who had gone to NUI in the last year or two...literally ALL positive reviews.
    You should see what info you can get on here in the NUI section.

• Advertisement

Getting nervous about Trinity. They asked me to confirm, in writing, my intention to accept their offer so I wrote to admissions AND emailed them...with no reply. Won't count my chickens 'til the official CAO comes out! All things going to plan though, I'll be doing law there.
    The law and politics course at UCD was a tempter, but I should be able to pick up a few political electives at Trinity or maybe even swap over to law & political science...not sure how easy that is to be honest so I'm kind of making that bit up!
    I suppose with yourself, after you factor in the cost of getting to NUI you'd have to ask yourself do you fancy adding a few hours onto your day for 4 years. I did an access course this past year and a few of the students had partners who had gone to NUI in the last year or two...literally ALL positive reviews.

Thanks mate. I have asked quite a few past students abut there time In nui and it has all been really positive.
    Good luck with trinity and fair play for getting it ( ya bolicks )

I have a few more people to talk to about my choice and I am going to do a few dummy runs in and out of maynooth to see what kind of time I will lose a week.
    Excuse my grammar have been writing these comments on my phone and big fingers don't help

Trinity have just thrown a spanner in the works they have offered me history and political science which was my original choice.
    After all the fretting I have been doing over which degree to do and research work I put in to help me make my decision.
    I will owe u a few pints if I meet u in trinity
    Thanks mate

Trinity have just thrown a spanner in the works they have offered me history and political science which was my original choice.
    After all the fretting I have been doing over which degree to do and research work I put in to help me make my decision.
    Thanks mate

That's brilliant news, you must be majorly chuffed. There was only 25 people on that course last year if I remember correctly. I'm thinking they'll only take 2 or MAX 3 matures, so fair play...although I reckon you've probably put a lot of people back on letter box stalking duty now!

Thanks mate

That's brilliant news, you must be majorly chuffed. There was only 25 people on that course last year if I remember correctly. I'm thinking they'll only take 2 or MAX 3 matures, so fair play...although I reckon you've probably put a lot of people back on letter box stalking duty now!

Lol thanks and im over the moon because of it. I had all but given up hope on it. Anyone letter box stalking good luck.

Advertisement