Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours from Hell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

reeta wrote: »
    Update: Very strong letter with file containing log for last four years of anti social behaviour handed into superintendent this morning. Letter tells them in no uncertain terms to get this sorted !!
    I would've used a shovel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Reeta I feel your pain 'n frustration.

I agree the Gardai are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle when it comes to this sort of thing. "Noise pollution? No can do. Sorry"

I had similar noise pollution from my next door neighbours. The house was semi-detached. I tried asking them to keep it down, but as the couldn't speak English (Rite?) I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I got a fairly powerful Stereo system. I turned the speakers facing into the adjoining wall, (upstairs & down) put on my fav Clash CD (on continuous play) and went out for the day.
    It's best to do this @ 8am when their hangovers were kicking in &/or 2am when they got work the next day.

I kept this up for 4 days, and a weekend when we decided to go away for a relaxing break.

Funny thing is they moved out very soon afterwards. Told the landlord they could get no sleep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reeta; I meant to say this earlier, but we are somewhat "under the weather" down here in West Cork and it got postponed; apologies.

We had a letter of acknowledgement almost by return of post, the Chief Superintendant saying he was passing the matter on the the Chief of Operations. But this was a simpler issue here. A Garda came almost immediately and took a formal statement - first time ever - and I know the old man was visited by the felled tree across the laneway.:rolleyes:

Something else... Decades ago in a different country and struggling with officialdom when my permanent disabling illness began, someone quite high uo quietly told me that I did not know what was being said in the background, ie though it seemed to me that nothing was being done, in reality heads were rolling to coin a phrase.

The Gardai cannot ignore a complaint. Period. They are aware from the detailled records you sent that you are capable of taking this higher.

Blessings and peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Received a letter from superintendent in local garda station claiming to be investigating complaints and that we will hear back when investigation is complete. Letter dated 2nd July (I was away for a week), so we are giving them another week before we demand a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Hi
    You may have mentioned it before but are these people the house owners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

:( Firstly I'm so sorry for you, this is one of your worst nightmares come true!
    I was/am in a similar situation with anti-social scum next door.
    I simply had to move for the safety of my young family and my wife not being able to leave the house due to intimidating youths standing outside.
    If I didn't have a very young family (1 week old at the time) I think I would have fought them, but then again where would that get me? The real problem with this lot is the kids and the amount of them, there are 10+, hard to know exactly how many are actually staying there, they come and go so much, but they are poisonous little vermin who terrorise everyone in the estate. They are untouched by the law because they are under 18. They can jump into your garden steal everything in it and even with video proof you can't do anything to them, but if they trip and get injured, they can sue:confused::confused: The parents know this and get them to do all their dirty work! They bought the house so doesn't matter how many complaints are made they ain't going anywhere. I've thought about violence and kicking the fathers head in:mad:, but that would end in a feud no doubt and his type are well used to using slash-hooks, machetes etc. and he has done in the past. Also my house would be smashed to pieces by the kids and nobody can do anything since they are minors!
    So we are in rented accommodation and paying a mortgage on a vacant house, its crippling financially but I can't sell it or rent it, as the kids terrorise anyone who views the house!
    Unfortunately I can't offer any advice only that life is short, and if you can afford to live away from them, you should think about doing so. If you can't then continue with the portfolio of photo's etc. and when you have enough to slam on the table of the super then do that and demand something to be done! I'm not sure what can, but hopefully the evidence will help.

Hi
    You may have mentioned it before but are these people the house owners?

They are home owners.

Razr3D wrote: »
    :( Firstly I'm so sorry for you, this is one of your worst nightmares come true!
    I was/am in a similar situation with anti-social scum next door.
    I simply had to move for the safety of my young family and my wife not being able to leave the house due to intimidating youths standing outside.
    If I didn't have a very young family (1 week old at the time) I think I would have fought them, but then again where would that get me? The real problem with this lot is the kids and the amount of them, there are 10+, hard to know exactly how many are actually staying there, they come and go so much, but they are poisonous little vermin who terrorise everyone in the estate. They are untouched by the law because they are under 18. They can jump into your garden steal everything in it and even with video proof you can't do anything to them, but if they trip and get injured, they can sue:confused::confused: The parents know this and get them to do all their dirty work! They bought the house so doesn't matter how many complaints are made they ain't going anywhere. I've thought about violence and kicking the fathers head in:mad:, but that would end in a feud no doubt and his type are well used to using slash-hooks, machetes etc. and he has done in the past. Also my house would be smashed to pieces by the kids and nobody can do anything since they are minors!
    So we are in rented accommodation and paying a mortgage on a vacant house, its crippling financially but I can't sell it or rent it, as the kids terrorise anyone who views the house!
    Unfortunately I can't offer any advice only that life is short, and if you can afford to live away from them, you should think about doing so. If you can't then continue with the portfolio of photo's etc. and when you have enough to slam on the table of the super then do that and demand something to be done! I'm not sure what can, but hopefully the evidence will help.

Most of the above applies to us i.e. would get our house/car smashed in, he was a minor until last year and at the time the guards kept saying "we will get him when he turns 18", well he has and nothing has been done. We have handed the guards a full portfolio of behaviour for the last four years and are waiting for a reply. Luckily there are several neighbours all involved in this with me, so we watch out for each other. My neighbour who is attached to them goes through even more hell than me with music and fighting going on non stop, day and night. Thanks for your reply and will keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

As I commented in a different thread minutes ago, how can the Gardai say they can't do anything about such severe crimes or nuisances happening on a daily basis and for such a long time? So are they saying that making other people in the neighborhood impossible to sleep is something they can't do anything about? Can the Gardai take you to a police station for questioning and be kept under custody for one or two days just because you can proof your identity (at least, it is that way in some EU countries), and here the Gardai can't take the guy to the police station for questioning after constant complaints from several home owners?

I just can't simply believe it. They find you driving a car without insurance and I am pretty sure your car gets clamped, and if you can't show your driving license, you will probably be taken to the police station, and yet, a son of a b***h spreads terror on the town, and they can't do anything about that? I do NOT believe that.

If police officers can't face criminals for being afraid of them, they should resign and dedicate to other businesses. Are they expecting the regular Joe to "fight" those criminals, when a normal guy is neither trainer nor has the "legal power" or knowledge to do so?

With respect to the OP, we the (normal) people are utter cowards, and that's what those kind of "people" take advantage of to do what they want. If all the neighbors meet, as it seems to be the case, and they agree to do something, well, a 12-pack of balaclavas and some spare hurling sticks / baseball bats are an affordable investment. Criminals base their powers on fighting people on their own, one to one, they can't simply deal with a bunch of people well beyond breaking point, and with no single face to harass. It seems unlikely to me that after a "neighborhood visit" to the guy to convince him to stop he is going to retaliate anyone. No one is so stupid to fight a determined and overpowering opponent. That "overpowering opponent" should be the public security bodies and the Law, but lacking that, people are morally entitled to claim their powers back.

PS: not encouraging anyone to do anything, just thinking aloud. I am the most coward among the less brave in the world, so I would even take my own advice :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Galway 11

I would't put out too much hope for the council to help. They seem to utterly ignore me. Had my porch door kicked in and was told they could do nothing unless I gave them names. I thought do you want me to gift wrap them for you aswell. These people should be bloody evicted. I am kept awake night after night after night with the noise from my neighbours. Frankly living in a safari park would be quieter. It really is not fair to have this going on I hope you get some peace from these thugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Wow, this is some serious scary stuff. Feelin really sorry for you. I am about to buy a house myself. Any ideas how best limit the risk of ending up in such situation- should i be knocking on the doors , talking to neighbours and such whenever going for a viewing(?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

uli84 wrote: »
    Wow, this is some serious scary stuff. Feelin really sorry for you. I am about to buy a house myself. Any ideas how best limit the risk of ending up in such situation- should i be knocking on the doors , talking to neighbours and such whenever going for a viewing(?)

I've considered it for the future, knock around and ask some prepared general questions, the answers of which will help you decide to live in an area or not,
    but that are also somewhat of a test to see what the immediate neighbours are like and what their opinions on some things that are important to you.

It will mean making some opinions based on very little information, but its better to try than to just move in and hope for the best and then find out you live beside some cnut.

Visit the location at different times to see if it is always the same or corresponds to the answers that have been provided.

Merch that is a great idea and for anyone buying a house worthwhile, particularly visiting the area at nighttime. We have heard nothing from the guards yet so are sending a letter today asking for update. He was arrested last week outside his house (stoned out of his head and threatening the guards) but of course he was home again that night. I would still probably be locked up of I had no car insurance !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

reeta wrote: »
    Merch that is a great idea and for anyone buying a house worthwhile, particularly visiting the area at nighttime. We have heard nothing from the guards yet so are sending a letter today asking for update. He was arrested last week outside his house (stoned out of his head and threatening the guards) but of course he was home again that night. I would still probably be locked up of I had no car insurance !!!

(((reeta))

WHen you write, mention the Ombudsman?

Might shift the log jam.. We did this once with SW and at least the whole situation got a proper hearing.

They have to account to the Ombudsman. In detail and he is independent etc .. say that if you do not get satisfaction from the letters you have written that you will take this higher.

TD also might help..

Hi all, just wanted to give you the good news !! the main culprit who has been making out lives hell has MOVED OUT. I cant explain the relief or how nice and quiet it is. However we are still demanding a response from the guards (just in case he comes back), he may be "doing time" but the guards would give us a better idea. So in the meantime just going to enjoy it... thanks for all your replies and will update if it changes:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement