Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Ventilation System

Options
  • 14-06-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I am just wondering if anybody here has used a Positive Ventilation System to sort out a damp problem?

If so, any thoughts on it? (pros and cons of it, does it actually work,etc?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not a solution to a damp problem, its masking it and it costs a fair chunk of change to install and run. You would be far better off finding out what is causing the problem and utilising some of the very many ingenious solutions out there for fixing it.

If its rising damp, there are many solutions. Finding out if the DPC(damp proof course) has been breached by soil beds/raised earth or by joined outside walls. Or if there is none, there are injectable solutions to waterproof sections of walls to stop rising damp.

For concrete floors, you might have to look at getting them removed and relaid with a plastic sheet base. Some insulation never goes astray either at that point

Water ingress from a badly laid roof is self explanatory, water ingress from walls can be solved by pyrite based paint solutions with lifespans of 20+ years.

If its a simple ventilation issue, then add some vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shanod

If its a simple ventilation issue, then add some vents.

Thanks for the response.

I have been told that it is a ventilation issue in the apartment, so I think I might give this system a go! The chap that came to visit last week suggested to use this system along with a number of new vents over all the doors (I have another damp company coming for a visit this week – and then I am going to get the opinion of an independent surveyor and decide for definite then)

I have seen very few reviews on it on Ireland forums which makes me scepical. However, it seems very popular in the UK and has got mostly positive reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm wary of reviews for most products like this in general. Its rare that people would talk down something like this because they have both invested heavily in it and generally something else was done that would have an effect as part of it.

I have been in some very damp apartments and proper ventilation in each outside walled room coupled with door vents worked fine without the need for any powered solution. Generally worked out to around half a days work for one person(depends on the height of the apartment).

Thanks for your opinion cuddlesworth, its appreciated!

I really want to get this problem sorted which is why I’m getting a couple of different damp companies in to give me their opinions/quotes and then talking it through with an independent surveyor!

I don’t want to take any chances and get the wrong thing done and the problem comes back!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Shanod wrote: »
    Thanks for your opinion cuddlesworth, its appreciated!

I really want to get this problem sorted which is why I’m getting a couple of different damp companies in to give me their opinions/quotes and then talking it through with an independent surveyor!

I don’t want to take any chances and get the wrong thing done and the problem comes back!

I find companies have to push there own agenda / product / system - where as an engineers job is to detail the issue / root cause and remedial action suggestion. It makes no difference to an engineer if there is a minor resolution or a super costly one. Our only concern would be that the issue be resolved making the house fit for purpose and works or the structure would be compliant with building regulations.
    Mike F

• Advertisement

Yeah, that’s what I’m weary of!

The company I had last week do a lot of different things to sort out damp (eg positive ventilation,dry lining,etc), and I have a hunch that their analysis is correct with the ventilation.

The other one I’m getting in this week don’t seem to do positive ventilation systems (well from browsing their website) so it will be interesting to see what they suggest!

As I said, I will be getting an independent surveyor to inspect the property, and will be asking his opinion and talk through the recommendations from the two companies with him

Advertisement