Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4 letting Racist names go

• 14-06-2012 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering, i was watching the channel 4 show my Big fat Gypsy wedding the other night and i noticed a lot of the time travelers call settle people georers, or something along that line.

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but is referring to someone by a typecast, say a person who lives in a house, not being rascist? I mean is it not a quality which makes us distinguishable from others.

I am just wondering as i see the word racists being thrown around a lot by smaller groups, but is it not possible to be racist to a larger group or is that not how it works.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

You're wrong-it's being 'xenophobic'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I don't think its meant in a derogatory term. Same as the travellers calling settled people country people or settled people calling travellers gypsies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

allibastor wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering, i was watching the channel 4 show my Big fat Gypsy wedding the other night and i noticed a lot of the time travelers call settle people georers, or something along that line.

time travellers are a strange bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I am just wondering as i see the word racists being thrown around a lot by smaller groups, but is it not possible to be racist to a larger group or is that not how it works.

try build a house next to a caravan and see how you get on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but is referring to someone by a typecast, say a person who lives in a house, not being rascist?

Residentialist fookers!!

I hate residentialism!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Feeona wrote: »
    You're wrong-it's being 'xenophobic'

xenophobic is a fear of strangers !! how is calling a group of people a collective name suddenly become a fear ?

oh wait a minute its a psychology thing - they fear them so they call them names...because of their own insecurities and their need to be loved and accepted !

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

You should go up to a Traveler and put this to him, they love a good debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

your first mistake was watching my big fat gypsie wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

You should go up to a Traveler and put this to him, they love a good debate.

i actually know a few of them and have asked them, but they are not like the ones on the telly to be fair. one wants to go to college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but is referring to someone by a typecast, say a person who lives in a house, not being rascist?
    No, because settled Irish people aren't a race.

I have no problem with them using just about any word. Around here they would call us buffers. As long as they don't call us travellers everything fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nothing disgusts me more than this sorta racism.

Except fkin pikeys :pac:

ScumLord wrote: »
    No, because settled Irish people aren't a race.

I have no problem with them using just about any word. Around here they would call us buffers. As long as they don't call us travellers everything fine.

but in a sense we are, are we not. we are irish who live in houses. From my gather anyone who is type case by such a way is a victim of racism. Would it not be the same as saying black african. it is a description of origin and of a particular feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I woke up this morning and I just had this really bad craving to be offended. Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Hi,

Now, correct me if i am wrong, but is referring to someone by a typecast, say a person who lives in a house, not being rascist? I mean is it not a quality which makes us distinguishable from others.

thicken your skin ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ian87 wrote: »
    I don't think its meant in a derogatory term.
    I always wonder who gets to decide this. I was watching 2 travellers/gypsies on TV3 and they used the term, sounded like 'gorger' or something, she said 'non-traveller' straight after and I wondered if she had let slip an abusive term. It is at 7.29 here

Spastic was once a totally acceptable term, I remember seeing spastic stamps on christmas presents growing up. Then it was seen as a term of abuse and people used other terms, these new words might be eventually not acceptable.

Some words appear to be acceptable or not simply down to phonetics. Like fanny is far more acceptable than c-unt, or willy/cock. If it has a soft sound and is hard to shout in an abusive sounding way it is let go. It is like people joking about german language sounding more harsh than say french.

Knacker is easy to say in a phonetically harsh way, I think this is why it is seen as abusive. A knacker renders horses, which I believe many travellers used to do, like many were tinkers, i.e. in the tin making trade. In years to come if people start shouting 'traveller' in a phonetically harsh way it might become unacceptable.

This gorger term sounded like it was possibly offensive to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Beaten to the time traveller joke.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

FearDark wrote: »

stop trying to steal his thunder and accept it like a man :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What do you expect? It's a show about a culture and the attitudes and perspectives of said culture. If that is what they say, it's what gets recorded and put on air.

From the context of the OP, it just seems like that's what they call settled people, nothing more.
    FearDark wrote: »

Only one solution, go back in time and First Post the fúck out of that joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

davet82 wrote: »
    stop trying to steal his thunder and accept it like a man :rolleyes:

ROLLEYES LOL

• Advertisement

I woke up this morning and I just had this really bad craving to be offended. Thanks OP.

Your welcome. How did you get offended. Though your still welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

how can it be racist. householders are not necessarily black.

but in a sense we are, are we not. we are irish who live in houses.
    That's not what a race is. That's like saying a dog is a border collie because he's in a field with sheep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your welcome. How did you get offended. Though your still welcome

You commenting about a show that had remarks targetted towards people of his eh... ethnic persuasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't object at all to being unfairly typecast as somebody that has a house with no wheels; doesn't drink turpentine or has no 14 year-old daughters in fluorescent pink, titty wedding dresses.

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not what a race is. That's like saying a dog is a border collie because he's in a field with sheep.

But it is using a clear description of someone based on a factor about that grouping. to say we are a certain term because we live in houses, is from what i can see the same as saying some is a black african. its not racists as i can see because it is a clear identifying feature, such as would living in a house, and a point of origin.

oh and to the last person who said toughen my skin. its plenty tough, i just would like to know the difference between someone telling me i am a gorger or what ever because i live in a house then between me saying someone is black. i just don't see the difference. if it was abusive then maybe, but its only identifying them by a clear feature which can be easily seen.

But it is using a clear description of someone based on a factor about that grouping. to say we are a certain term because we live in houses, is from what i can see the same as saying some is a black african. its not racists as i can see because it is a clear identifying feature, such as would living in a house, and a point of origin.
    Your still not describing race. Race is based on physical attributes. A race in human terms is the same thing as a breed in any other animal. Race is not based on location, living conditions, religion or social class.

Black African is not a race either, black Africans are the same race as African Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Been called a buffer by the boyos in Hillside, Castlepark in Galway

Didn't even know what a buffer was when they said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Hi,

Never knew Gypsies were time travellers

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

PC police

Advertisement