Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant from this list...

Options
  • 14-06-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I know the whole romantic dinner threads have been done but I have made a list of a few restaurants (that I've never been) and looking to see which you would recommend the most?

GF is leaving for 5 weeks so looking for something romantic etc. Budget and cuisine is not an issue once the food and atmosphere is good...

From what I can tell the following would suit the occasion (all in City Centre):

Pearl Brasserie
    Ely Wine Bar
    Shanahans
    Siam Thai
    Bang Restaurant
    Fire Restuarant

Would anyone recommend and of the above over the other based on food and atmosphere or is there a gem I'm missing?

Thanks...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Chapter One without question

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Brasserie Sixty6.

Lovely food, not too expensive. Lovely staff and atmosphere.

EDIT: Retract above comment as I haven't been to all the places on the list so can't really comment!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From the list I'd probably go with Bang, or Siam Thai, but it's a very businessy/corporate list.

Big +1 on Chapter One. A budget point (or two) down I'd say La Cave on South Anne Street or the Trocadero on Andrew Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Another +1 for Chapter One from me!

Pichet off Dame St is another one of my favourites also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I've been to all on the list bar Shanahans's. I'd rate Pearl and then Ely (on Ely Place). Fire is good, but the room is huge. Siam is so so, better half was there last week and was not glowing about it.
    You could consider Sabor Brazil on Pleasant st, La Mere Zou on the green, Lockes (sister restaurant of pearl) on the canal. You will see these reviewed favorably on TripAdvisor also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

From your list, Pearl Brasserie is the best (in fact it's probably consistently one of the top in the country). Miles ahead of Chapter One in reality... which is a very good restaurant but also massively over-rated when it comes to food quality.

Shanahans would be very low on my list; it's very overpriced and the quality is not there. The new Green Hen blows Shanahans out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Thanks for the feed back so far - really appreciated (keep it coming!)

I never considered Chapter One before and that does look nice. From its location though I'd have to get a taxi to wherever we go after? Pearl is beside Stephens Green so could easily walk to a bar etc from there no?

Thanks again!

Macers wrote: »
    Thanks for the feed back so far - really appreciated (keep it coming!)

I never considered Chapter One before and that does look nice. From its location though I'd have to get a taxi to wherever we go after? Pearl is beside Stephens Green so could easily walk to a bar etc from there no?

Thanks again!

It's on parnell square, you're a few minute walks away from lots of nice bars?

plus the walk with help with digestion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Pearl Brasserie, by some stretch the best food i've had in Ireland. Was her b/day dinner this year.

Service was attentive and any questions about the menu were enthusiastically answered.

Although I like Thai food, I don't think Siam is in the same gourmet category as the other's you've listed. Shanahans is over priced steak, i don't subscribe to the view that we should be ripped off for good meat which is plentiful in Ireland, the art of cooking a good steak can be mastered very quickly, not worth the money at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Pearl is beside Stephens Green so could easily walk to a bar etc from there no?

Thanks again!

Yes, plenty of good spots near by, Toners, Doheny and Nesbitts, O'Donaghues. Or you could go to the Cellar Bar in Merrion Hotel if you want to keep it "classy" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Look no further than Chapter One

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

puffishoes wrote: »
    It's on parnell square, you're a few minute walks away from lots of nice bars?

Definitely chapter 1, fabulous all round :-)

Don't know about it being near nice bars though, the only problem I have with it is the location!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It's not exactly romantic, but the Hop House (Shakespeare) on Parnell Street (no more than a 5 minute walk from Chapter One) is a great spot for a pint.

Chapter One is great, but's pretty hard to keep the atmosphere 'special' wandering about Parnell St dodging junkies ! Assume you'd be looking for somewhere to her tastes for a drink after and not too far away.

I am pie wrote: »
    Chapter One is great, but's pretty hard to keep the atmosphere 'special' wandering about Parnell St dodging junkies ! Assume you'd be looking for somewhere to her tastes for a drink after and not too far away.

Exactly - that's what I was eluding to in my last post...

It's between Chapter One and Pearl at this stage I think!

clap trap.

stroll 2 minutes down o'connel st and you have teddy's for example

there is junkies everywhere including grafton st or baggot street.

maybe he can blind fold her..:rolleyes:

clap trap.

stroll 2 minutes down o'connel st and you have teddy's for example

there is junkies everywhere including grafton st or baggot street.

maybe he can blind fold her..:rolleyes:

Clap trap ! Been a while since I've heard that one. Although I think more correctly it should 'claptrap'...maybe followed up by a 'stuff of nonsense'.

OK, you think Parnell St is as nice an environment as Grafton St or Baggot St. I don't. We have different taste in bars too, fair enough. Rolleyes indeed.

Anyway OP, you know your way around....enjoy your fancy dinner. If you were really pushing the boat out you could book a hotel in town ! You'd be stocked up on brownie points for the next year after that.

Anyway OP, you know your way around....enjoy your fancy dinner. If you were really pushing the boat out you could book a hotel in town ! You'd be stocked up on brownie points for the next year after that.

I could end up with a black eye if I booked that!! ;)

Clap trap ! Been a while since I've heard that one. Although I think more correctly it should 'claptrap'...maybe followed up by a 'stuff of nonsense'.

OK, you think Parnell St is as nice an environment as Grafton St or Baggot St. I don't. We have different taste in bars too, fair enough. Rolleyes indeed.

Chapter one is not on parnell street. to get to a pub afterwards takes a couple of minutes strolling down the capital's most famous street.

who's he taking out for dinner here? it's his GF not the queen mother I'm sure she'll survive a few minutes on O'Connel st.

Chapter one is not on parnell street. to get to a pub afterwards takes a couple of minutes strolling down the capital's most famous street.

who's he taking out for dinner here? it's his GF not the queen mother I'm sure she'll survive a few minutes on O'Connel st.

We each advice based on our own preferences. You like the area around Parnell St / O'Connell St. I don't. End of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Another vote for Trocadero or if you want to venture a little further to Portabello, Locks is very nice. Haven't been to any of the ones on your list :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Exactly - that's what I was eluding to in my last post...

It's between Chapter One and Pearl at this stage I think!

Pearl is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The Chameleon in Temple Bar is lovely. Gorgeous Indonesian food which you can have either a la carte or as a "rijst taafel" - lots of little dishes tapas style. Make sure to request a seat at one of the opium tables. They are low down tables where you sit on cushions...great for lazing around on with a full belly

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I would choose Pearl Brasserie any day... Its gorgeous , lovely atmosphere, very attentive staff but not over bearing, great wine, and the food is just beautiful. i loved it and am waiting to be brought back.
    There are great bars to choose from around it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Chapter one is a fine restaurant never disappoints!
    Shanahan's on the green is another great option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chapter One (if you can get a table) and a taxi to avoid any possible brush with poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

AsianDub wrote: »
    Brasserie Sixty6.

Lovely food, not too expensive. Lovely staff and atmosphere.

Mediocre food which is over-priced. Poor service when I went. Atmosphere was totally absent.

I would never recommend this place to anyone, let alone someone looking for a romantic night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublinate

For romance there is no where like Pearl Brasserie, just request one of the small cavern-like booths, I read somewhere that its not recommended to take a first date to Pearl, as everywhere else would be a step back...

Locks on the canal is really romantic and Chapter One is also very special.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Mediocre food which is over-priced. Poor service when I went. Atmosphere was totally absent.

I would never recommend this place to anyone, let alone someone looking for a romantic night out.

100% agree. I can't understand why people still go to that place. The service is possibly the worst in any restaurant I've been to in Dublin.

Love Trocadero though - great staff.
    Also, if the OP is looking for somewhere - Hugo's is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Chapter 1 was excellent. Get the pre theatre menu, €35 a head for 3 courses, was amazing, fantastic place.

Advertisement