Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Filan Bankrupt

• 14-06-2012 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18438032

Flying with Wings might have been a better idea :pac:

Inevitably this means a Westlife reunion after the Westlife farewell tour and then probably a raft of re-release albums. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Didn't he screw us over for loads of outstanding loans on properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

In the words of Nelson Muntz...

HA-HA!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mr Filan owns a property company, Shafin Developments Limited, with his brother Finbarr.

It was established in 2004 and had been involved in developments in Counties Leitrim and Sligo in the west of Ireland.
    What exactly did he expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I doubt he'll starve...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Oh look, another rich person who is magically resident in the UK and declares bankruptcy there instead of in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

So he moves to the UK the end of last year, is declared bankrupt in less than 12 months living there but will still pick up a cheque for € 4 million for the upcoming Westlife tour. How the f$%k can this even be possible? And as mentioned above who the hell advised him to build 90 houses in Co. Leitrim as an investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Tut tut, he should have stuck to what he was good at and that's ..........
    :rolleyes: *scratches head*

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Why the hell do any of you lot care about this man's personal life? Leave him be. Yes he was an awful eejit with all them loans, but seriously, what the papers are doing to him and his family is bad enough. So stop bashing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Forget bankruptcy.

Imagine being christened Finbarr Filan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can he apologise for Westlife as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

davet82 wrote: »

HA-HA!

Not sure what's so funny. he' the one that's laughing. It's his creditors I feel sorry for. Bankruptcy tourism by another Irish property bubble failure.
    He will still be very well off. he's getting away with it.
    If you're an Irish taxpayer, you are taking a hit in this case.
    Are you still laughing.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Oh look, another rich person who is magically resident in the UK and declares bankruptcy there instead of in Ireland.

He'll be back to making millions in royalties in 12 months. B@stard should be forced to pay off his loans.

Not sure what's so funny. he' the one that's laughing. It's his creditors I feel sorry for. Bankruptcy tourism by another Irish property bubble failure.
    He will still be very well off. he's getting away with it.
    If you're an Irish taxpayer, you are taking a hit in this case.
    Are you still laughing.

party pooper :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Maybe he can use some of his cash from his next gig to do a basic clean up of his ghost estate in Dromahair.

Linky:
    http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/business/receivers-appointed-to-shane-filan-s-property-company-shafin-developments-ltd-1-3821324

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Always amazing me how someone already rich beyond most people's dreams pursues even more money. Unbelievable greed and appalling that afterwards he'll still be a millionaire while the rest of us pick up the tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why the hell do any of you lot care about this man's personal life? Leave him be. Yes he was an awful eejit with all them loans, but seriously, what the papers are doing to him and his family is bad enough. So stop bashing him.

Because the likes of him and his ilk will not pay what they owe even though they will still be very wealthy. He owes Irish banks money, that means he owes the Irish taxpayer money and is pulling a fast one on this.
    If you pay taxes then he is taking the piss out of you.
    That's why we care.:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

He's on the "farewell" tour with Westshíte now, then he'll milk the teenage muppets for a few quid with his solo album, then he'll be back with west****e again on the "comeback" tour, all orchestrated by Louis Walsh, aka SATAN.

His wife is a bit of a munter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18438032

Flying with Wings might have been a better idea :pac:

Inevitably this means a Westlife reunion after the Westlife farewell tour and then probably a raft of re-release albums. :rolleyes:

It doesn't actually as the other three have made their money and didn't piss it away. I heard that Shane Filan has a solo contract anyway.

In a statement, the 32-year-old said he had "worked long and hard" to tackle his debts and was devastated that his problems have come to this conclusion.

Standing around on a stage singing like a ponce isn't working hard. The guy should be made work down a coal mine until he's paid his debts so he knows what working long and hard really means.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

bijapos wrote: »
    Maybe he can use some of his cash from his next gig to do a basic clean up of his ghost estate in Dromahair.

Linky:
    http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/business/receivers-appointed-to-shane-filan-s-property-company-shafin-developments-ltd-1-3821324

What got that idea into his head?

Build an estate in the middle of nowhere in bogland Ireland.

Did he honestly think they'd be flocking in?

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    What got that idea into his head?

Build an estate in the middle of nowhere in bogland Ireland.

Did he honestly think they'd be flocking in?

I think he did it just to piss the Irish taxpayer off :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yes. Because there are no consequences for anyone else for the bad debts he leaves unpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Clown, I bet he will sign his Solo contract on June 12th next year once he is out of this obligations.

Hope he stays over there, wonder will the house in Carraroe have to go or is it gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Tut tut, he should have stuck to what he was good at that's ..........
    :rolleyes: *scratches head*

Pulling Derek Zoolander style poses for magazine shoots, he's a total pro at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Clown, I bet he will sign his Solo contract on June 12th next year once he is out of this obligations.

Hope he stays over there, wonder will the house in Carraroe have to go or is it gone?

Still there and still his as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Standing around on a stage singing like a ponce isn't working hard. The guy should be made work down a coal mine until he's paid his debts so he knows what working long and hard really means.

LOL im no fan of Filan , but this statement is utter garbage .

You work your ass off for years and years just to be able to stand on that stage - do you think it just magically happens ?
    if so why the fcuk isnt everyone doin it ?

Id like to see you do it. :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭thebourke

why is it the richer you are the less chance you will have to pay back any bad debts you owe...where as if you owe a few hundred...thousand euro...the banks will keep harrassing you for the money
    one law for the rich..another law for the poor....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Bear in mind, he also occasionally rises slowly and dramatically from a stool.

I think all Westlife fans should have a whip-round for poor aul shane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He's on the "farewell" tour with Westshíte now, then he'll milk the teenage muppets for a few quid with his solo album

Afaik it's actually adults that go to watch those mongs "perform".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think all westlife fans should be whipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Shane was clearly taking advice about investments from Nicky Byrne's father/prick in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The most mind bending thing about all this is that someone who was coining it in pop music woke up one morning and decided that building houses would be a good idea. I can only presume his brother was the one who talked him into "investing" in a dream of ropey estates in Sligo and Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So hang on, he's English now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm sure Bertie has already suggested that to Nicky Byrne...

• Advertisement

No doubt the other Westlifers will help out Shane with the odd expensive car and such like until his income stream is repaired....meanwhile how many suppliers have been left short?

mike65 wrote: »
    No doubt the other Westlifers will help out Shane with the odd expensive car and such like until his income stream is repaired....meanwhile how many suppliers have been left short?
    I'd say his income stream has barely been damaged.

I'm not really shocked by this news considering he drove around in a UK reg Aston and lived in sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

AH posters must be highly unusual people if they would face a long & expensive bankruptcy process in Ireland, for patriotic reasons, as opposed to opting for the more sensible process available in the UK, where Filan is presumably a resident or where he conducts a good deal of his business.

I think it's tragic how many people still cackle like angry poultry when someone else faces serious financial losses and seeks to resolve their investment mistakes, especially when they never set out to cause harm or distress. This is business, and bankruptcy is an essential aspect of business life and entrepreneurship; I think some people need to step away from the pulpit.

later12 wrote: »
    AH posters must be highly unusual people if they would face a long & expensive bankruptcy process in Ireland, for patriotic reasons, as opposed to opting for the more sensible process available in the UK, where Filan is presumably a resident or where he conducts a good deal of his business.

I think it's tragic how many people still cackle like angry poultry when someone else faces serious financial losses and seeks to resolve their investment mistakes, especially when they never set out to cause harm or distress. This is business, and bankruptcy is an essential aspect of business life and entrepreneurship; I think some people need to step away from the pulpit.

pffft... westlife fans, what do they know :rolleyes:

Yea that's all well and good, but we're picking up the tab. It's nothing to do with being patriotic, it's to do with being screwed over. The guy will never fall on hard times with the revenue he makes.

• Advertisement

Why these jumped up developers need stopping (or thank God for the crash)

http://sleepingwarrior.com/blog/shane-filan-and-the-power-that-dare-not-speak-its-name-part-1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

smash wrote: »
    Yea that's all well and good, but we're picking up the tab. It's nothing to do with being patriotic, it's to do with being screwed over. The guy will never fall on hard times with the revenue he makes.
    I'm not sure how much of a tab 'we' are picking up. do you?

Either way, I don't seriously believe many people would behave differently. If you were faced with bankruptcy, and you had a choice between financial ruin for years to come in Ireland, or a quick resolution of your debts in the UK, which would you choose? The funniest thing is that creditors are usually no better off as a result of the longer resolution process in Ireland - it appears to be a mainly punitive, anti-entrepreneurship measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He's on the "farewell" tour with Westshíte now, then he'll milk the teenage muppets for a few quid with his solo album,
    they're not teenagers any more, they're probably all single mothers because they lived their life they way westlife lyrics told them too. More than likely heavily in debt from buying a never ending stream of westlife branded nonsense, and alone, so alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

when someone else faces serious financial losses

Damn straight! The poor man is gutted, he was going to buy that ivory backscratcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am wondering what is the exact number of businesses that were over fincanced by the banks during the bubble, that are now crashed, leaving the fools (us) to pay their bills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

Whatever about his insult to music over the years, this is where pitchforks and mob rule by night spring to mind.

"...a steady stream of highly indebted Irish property developers who have filed for bankruptcy in the UK"

I'm not sure how much of a tab 'we' are picking up. do you?

"Filan is said to have amassed £18million debts"

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/celebritymoney/article-2159136/Westlifes-Shane-Filan-latest-star-declared-bankrupt-huge-property-debts.html#ixzz1xlhQDzk1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What happens to the properties? Isn't his brother a director of one of the property companies, has he been declared bankrupt too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't think he is going to starve. He did what most of would do in the same situation to try salvage something for himself.
    I'm sure he was not involved in the day to day running of the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

HA-HA!

I don't know what you're laughing about. We'll have to pay for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement