Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Bar to close?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Is it true that the UCD Student bar will be closing for good in the coming weeks?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Hadn't heard anything like that. Where did you hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

Heard this yesterday too...I think the bar has been losing serious money for years. It was almost empty for the whole of last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bigyawn

A friend said it to me in passing today, she also said there was talk of the library shop turning into a Centra. Seems like the S U losing money hand over fist. Maybe a hang over from that missing accounts thing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I haven't heard any of these rumours.

But if they're true fair play to the SU in a lot of ways, making unpopular but necessary cuts, we'll have a new bar in the student centre from next week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Last I heard the bar in the student centre isn't open till late september/october, actually.

Can't say I'd be too upset if the student bar closed, it's a bit of a dive and has been since I started in UCD. Still, with it being the only bar on the most populated campus in the country, I'd be shocked if they were losing money. Seems like it should be a pissup in a brewery situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Raphael wrote: »
    Last I heard the bar in the student centre isn't open till late september/october, actually.

Can't say I'd be too upset if the student bar closed, it's a bit of a dive and has been since I started in UCD. Still, with it being the only bar on the most populated campus in the country, I'd be shocked if they were losing money. Seems like it should be a pissup in a brewery situation.
    People are drinking at home more and more, the days of heading to the bar before town seem to be gone from belfield.
    Bar has been quiet for a good while. The refurbed student centre bar needs to be in place for September to have a decent chance of winning over the first years, October may be too late.

I think that bar'll be fine, tbh. It was most peoples first preference before it closed, because it was less of a dark and dank place to go. Opening by the start of term would be better, but it'll be fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It was a real dump of a place, I'm not too sorry it's closing. The sooner the forum reopens the better. I missed that place last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The bar was and is a dump. For what it's worth the walk or cycle to Kitty O'Sheas near Clonskeagh is well worth it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I agree with everyone here that its a dump but the issue would be (if it actually were closing) is that UCD would have a new bar but presumably no venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It would be an alright bar if it was kept a bit cleaner with a bit more light (fairly dark so it is). I enjoyed many sessions there as an undergrad, it was great starting off point in the night. Out of all the pies that the UCDSU has their fingers in, I would have thought this would be the most financially secure? It's been a while since I was in it last so I'm not entirely sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Raphael wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if they were losing money. Seems like it should be a pissup in a brewery situation.

:pac::pac:

are you really studying in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Well the SU bar looks atrocious (dark, dilapidated and has the appearance of a bomb shelter) but that's not really the point.

It is the best place to eat on campus (at least without Elements or Forum), is local to the east side of campus (Engineering, Quinn, Law, Merville, etc.) and is great for the craic.

If we were to lose it it would be a real shame - so hopefully its closure today is just temporary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm not sure it's possible for the SU bar and SU shop to be losing money with a near monopoly on the entire campus. You can't move in the shop for 15 minutes on the hour, every hour, and whilst the bar is rarely packed, it's never empty. Always a dozen or so folk eating and / or having pints. More than enough to cover overheads at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bigyawn

I could be reading to much into it but it will be a bit of an eyesore
    beside the Quinn, new law school and new Lake. Maybe they want it
    gone from that location.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No I doubt thats the case. Its fairly hidden between the restaurant and Quinn. Didn't the SU lose a massive amount of money on the bar a few years back? Not far off 250k I think.

Personally I always preferred the bar down at the student centre, a bit plusher and it had that arena area (which is probably gone now) to sit outside with a drink. I would see the currently closed bar getting a lot of custom from lads playing astro/tag and using the new sports centre. Hopefully it reopens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

bigyawn wrote: »
    A friend said it to me in passing today, she also said there was talk of the library shop turning into a Centra. Seems like the S U losing money hand over fist. Maybe a hang over from that missing accounts thing last year.

That'd be awfully strange, with the other Centra only a five minute walk away :confused:

I can't see the SU shop losing money, whenever I've been in there I've had to queue for a till. As for the bar, not once last year did I go there for drinks before heading into town. People just don't want to spend the money in the bar when they can predrink more cheaply in apartments in relative comfort. The SU bar is just dingy and unappealing, although granted the food is alright.

I'm not sure the bar will be a huge loss to younger undergrads (I'm only finished first year myself). It'll be interesting to see what this new bar is like though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Crap layout in terms of seating and all that but for a student campus bar it had a pretty good choice of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

EmilyO wrote: »
    That'd be awfully strange, with the other Centra only a five minute walk away :confused:

I can't see the SU shop losing money, whenever I've been in there I've had to queue for a till. As for the bar, not once last year did I go there for drinks before heading into town. People just don't want to spend the money in the bar when they can predrink more cheaply in apartments in relative comfort. The SU bar is just dingy and unappealing, although granted the food is alright.

I'm not sure the bar will be a huge loss to younger undergrads (I'm only finished first year myself). It'll be interesting to see what this new bar is like though.

The Forum was far better for food, bigger portions and the happy serving lady!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I would see the currently closed bar getting a lot of custom from lads playing astro/tag and using the new sports centre. Hopefully it reopens

UCD is the biggest tag rugby venue in the country for ITRA, but they have a deal with O'Sheas in Clonskeah so almost all of their traffic goes that way. The SU would have to make a pretty good offer to beat what O Sheas is giving. But yeah, it'd be the perfect bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I genuinely like the Student Bar.

I lived on-campus in first year, so this was the closest bar to us. The first night I went there it was absolutely packed to the brim, and almost any other time in my first year we went down there it was quite busy. Although that was back in 2009, and maybe people were more likely to go down to the student bar to relax and play a few games of pool before heading out (due to slightly better finances).

I think the bar had a much better vibe and atmosphere than the Forum. I even preferred the aesthetics. A lot of people will fault it for what they call its dull, grey, depressing and dank early 1970s look, but I find that appealing. Its part of UCD history, between the restaurant, Quinn and the new Law school, it'll surely be an endearingly eclectic mix.
    I only discovered the existence of the forum half way through first year, and a lot of my friends genuinely didn't know about it either. Living on campus, I suppose, the SU bar was the natural choice for most people, given its proximity with regard to residence, and the bus stop.
    One weakness is its prices. It needs to compete here. Its a sad state of affairs when a student bar is more expensive than the local.

I like the bar, and hope to continue to frequent it in the future. It would be a real shame if it were to close, and if it does, a part of the first-year me will die too :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The aesthetics I can forgive - look at the Blue Light pub (one of the best in Dublin in its own way), O'Neills or Hartigan's. None of them would win any prizes either on aesthetics. My problem with the Student bar is that it never really had a 'relaxed' vibe about it at all. Even when half empty the volume was way too loud, so it was impossible on many nights to have a chat without shouting. These kind of things never happened in the Sports bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

It would be great if a better student bar could open with a nicer outdoor area. New lake?

Surely to God it would be easy to find a Private operator to go in with the SU and run it properly, it's a town in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭spillit67

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's possible for the SU bar and SU shop to be losing money with a near monopoly on the entire campus. You can't move in the shop for 15 minutes on the hour, every hour, and whilst the bar is rarely packed, it's never empty. Always a dozen or so folk eating and / or having pints. More than enough to cover overheads at least.

Staffing levels during the times when undergrads are off could be the key reason. Nearly 4 weeks at Christmas, 4 months for summer and generally the weekends would be quieter.

Still as I said, no excuse for not having a viable business given the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

When I was in UCD it was profits from the bar that propped up many loss making SU ventures.

It was once one of the best / most profitable bars in the country (very long time ago) but UCD has had a deliberate policy of cutting down on alcohold related funsies inan attempt to look more prestigious. A pity IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Ah the bar...brings me back...many a great night back in the nineties.

Don't close it down - keep it open in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Anyone know when the new forum bar is due to open? They seem to be doing a fair bit of work in there at the moment..

• Advertisement

Last I heard, late September or October - definitely not going to be open by the start of semester 1 though.

Advertisement