Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

512GB SSD for loptop

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Looking to buy a good SSD for a dell xps 15z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Best SSDs for the money/reliability/performance at the moment are the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830.

At 512GB, you're spending a fair amount of money. The Samsung 830 256GB is a fairly good price at the moment at ~€180 on amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭war2k10

Well 256GB isn't a lot i have a 1TB sata hdd in my laptop now soo how much would the 512 cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

On Hardwareversand they're anywhere from 500-700 euro.I don't think its worth the money tbh.

Ok thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

About €400.

Fair enough if you have money to burn but I think it's a little steep. They're falling fairly fast in price so I wouldn't go over-investing in them.

If you really have needs for that kind of space, you could get an enclosure for your present 1TB hard drive and use it externally. Alternatively, if you have a DVD drive in there, you can sometimes swap them with a hard drive. Finally, if you have a mini PCI-Express slot, you can get SSDs for these - not usually up to 512GB but they'd be enough for your main programs and you get to keep your hard drive for the bulk ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

You could get something like this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2nd-Hard-Drive-Bay-Caddy-SATA-Replace-laptops-DVD-CD-/400217362517?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d2ed05055

I did this and have best of both worlds, SSD for speed and HDD for storage. If you got a 128GB Samsung 830 the savings would easily cover an external DVD-rw for the times you would need one.

Edit: oops sorry noticed your DVD drive is a slot loader. This wont work

That would be brilliant but the disc drive is like on on a mac :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can get USB sticks with 256gb of space but they're as expensive as an SSD.

If you need the space on the go, would something like dropbox or google drive work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

war2k10 wrote: »
    That would be brilliant but the disc drive is like on on a mac :/

You can get that kind of thing for a slot reader drive too - in fact, I have a bracket like that for my 13" MacBook and have an 80GB SSD currently (256GB on the way) and a 1TB HDD in there, where the optical drive would be. Depending on what laptop you have, it may not be that difficult to do or void any warranty you have.

Well that sounds good i have a dell xps 15z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

This is listed as compatible with the XPS 15Z - but I'm sure you might be able to find something cheaper if you shop around:

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=328

You'd then need to look up some videos/guides to remove the existing optical drive and replace it with this caddy and an HDD or SSD in it. You could then easily get away with a smaller SSD (like lets say a 128GB, which is only around the €100 mark now) for all your essential files (the OS, frequently used programs, etc) and keep your 1TB HDD in the system for everything else. This is exactly my setup and works great.

You could always get a cheap USB enclosure for the optical drive too so you can hook it up for the one time a year you may need it...

Advertisement