Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dún Laoghaire Pier

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I used to fish a lot when I was younger with my dad, we did mostly canal fishing for tench, bream etc but we would also go out to Dún Laoghaire pier night fishing (12am onwards) for Dog Fish.

Are Dog fish still caught out there now or what has happened to it? Its been 8 or 9 years since I've done it!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Not at all familiar with the area you're talking about but can i ask why specifically for dogfish? did ye eat them?

I'm sure if they were there before, they're there now. They can be caught at most venues any time of year and can save an otherwise blank day for many an angler

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

There was no reason behind it other than we enjoyed catching them. We always caught and released the fish.

I have heard of people eating them but dont think it would be my cup of tea!

I am thinking about heading back out there and starting up my old hobbie again. As it been a while since I fished for them I'd be grateful for any advice on how to catch them, hook size, bait etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

SeaFields wrote: »
    Not at all familiar with the area you're talking about but can i ask why specifically for dogfish? did ye eat them?

I'm sure if they were there before, they're there now. They can be caught at most venues any time of year and can save an otherwise blank day for many an angler
    Not really mate
    I used to fish the area he's talking about a lot and caught dog fish to beat the band some were kept by my mates I never kept them although I'm told their delicious but the pier in question has gone pretty bad over past 3 year so I stopped fishing for them and other species it's highly over fished bein so popular and the people I've seen there fishing lately very few Irish and a lot of non internationals and keeping very small fish

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

SeaFields wrote: »

Not really mate
    I used to fish the area he's talking about a lot and caught dog fish to beat the band some were kept by my mates I never kept them although I'm told their delicious but the pier in question has gone pretty bad over past 3 year so I stopped fishing for them and other species it's highly over fished bein so popular and the people I've seen there fishing lately very few Irish and a lot of non internationals and keeping very small fish

Thanks for that. I will prob give the pier a miss now unless anybody else can can give me a reason to go back.

Where you would suggest I go now, is there anywhere around the same area?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You'd be better off getting a few of yiz together and Hiring a boat from Bulloch and heading out around the back of tthe Island, at least you'll get a few whiting and more than likely plenty of Mac's

21/25

• Advertisement

uch wrote: »
    You'd be better off getting a few of yiz together and Hiring a boat from Bulloch and heading out around the back of tthe Island, at least you'll get a few whiting and more than likely plenty of Mac's
    Your dead right
    Better off going to bulloch harbour and renting bout with a few of yas it's bout 20 euro and hour and if you go out on right day you'll have a sore arm after all the mackerel last year was great crack over 100 in hour between 3 of us
    And there's chance of good pollock and codling

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Yep, Bullock is good craic and worth the few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭david_1888

There is endless amounts of doggies in between the two islands at dalkey and off killiney beach, throw a nice chunk of mackerel on a hook and you'll have them all day

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Your dead right
    Better off going to bulloch harbour and renting bout with a few of yas it's bout 20 euro and hour and if you go out on right day you'll have a sore arm after all the mackerel last year was great crack over 100 in hour between 3 of us

any advice on how to catch these, hook size, bait etc? Was in bulloch harbour few weeks back got 2 fish in an hour.

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Your dead right

any advice on how to catch these, hook size, bait etc? Was in bulloch harbour few weeks back got 2 fish in an hour.
    Il pm ya
    Ya know ur self don't wanna give everyone advice on where to catch
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

danwhite88 wrote: »

Just jigging feathers from the Boat, far side of the Island

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Use sabiki feathers, they are tiny feathers on tiny size 4 hooks and absolutely deadly for mackerel, plus you have a good chance of picking up luance and herrings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'd opt for a german sprat spinner and just jig with that, you have chances of getting bigger fish while using that, last time i used one on a boat i caught a crate of mackerel and a pair of 2 and a half pound pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i remember back in the early 90s, anytime i got school holidays id fish of the west pier with a friend of mine. just of the steps at the end of the pier was good for whiting and the occasional codling, using mackerel strips.
    i used to fish there quiet a bit, till one day some bxxxox packed up my gear,reeled in my line, and walked of with the lot. icon9.gif

Advertisement