Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone repaired

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So i got my phone a bit damp one day (not soaked my pocket got wet and the phone was in it) anyways the phone i thought was fine except the following day it wouldn't charge so i rang a phone shop to see if they could repair it and i was quoted 40 euro for a new dock connector anyways the following day i brought the phone in (its battery is dead at this stage) and was charged 35 upfront (assuming this was the fee to fix it) anyways after them looking at it for 2 hours they said they could fix it but it would cost an extra 50 euro but managed to get them down to 35 (so 70 in total to fix it) got the phone that evening and it was fully charged so i assumed it was fixed however now the mic on the phone wont work (noticed it at 7am this morning and went back in at 9am today) and i was initially told it would cost 50 to replace the mic. and after i said that they broke it, they said the problem with water damage is it corrodes it thus why it was working after the water got on it but took 3 days for it to break (i know this is bull ****) now the part that they replaced is the dock connector that has the mic attached to it (its an iphone 4 if anyone is curious)
    so im wondering where i stand because i assume they put in a faulty part and are trying to play it off as it being an orignal part that is failing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I don't know the internals of the iPhone 4 well enough to be able to comment on whether the mic element was replaced as part of the dock connector, but I can say that the connectors on these devices do not corrode from water damage. Corrosion is generally caused by galvanic reactions... i.e. reactions between dissimilar metals.

Also, I assume you informed them of the water damage? In my opinion, a good repair shop would ensure that the phone and all components being fitted were completely dry before completing the repair.

Advertisement