Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things You Do That You Think No One Else Does

• 14-06-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Shamelessly stolen from another forum, in which the OP shamelessly stole it from another forum.

So, when I was younger and in the car looking out the window, I used to pretend there was a 'runner', usually some ninja type dude, who'd run along side the car dodging all the obstacles that past us by. Eg: Other cars, hedges, trees etc.

Also sometimes when I really get into a book, I tend to pick up mannerisms from some of the characters for a while after. Like when I read the Narnia books years ago, for about a week after that, whenever I was thinking in my head, I'd think in that 1940's English way. 'I should think that would be jolly good' and all that lark.

Anyway what weird things do you do, that you think no one else does?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

your mmmmmm......

must resist.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

smash wrote: »
    your mmmmmm......

must resist.........

nah, I do that as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I did that runner thing too out the car window - power lines were a great way of building up some speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I used to dress as a ninja type dude and chase cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 Kinetic Eye

Masturbate to Oprah Winfrey.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I used to dress a ninja type dude and chase cars.

How did you find him to dress him

I did the running thing too
    and the numberplate game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never asked anyone if they do it but if I'm sitting in a car/taxi in traffic I start dividing the year of the car into the car number of the number plate e.g. if it's 09-D-87152 I divide 87152 by 9! Do this with most cars that end up in front of you. It's not as much fun since the Millenium tbh so I don't do it as much anymore :(

Getting something perfectly divisible by '98 was like the holy grail :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I did that runner thing too, except mine wasn't a ninja it was a baby...

Very strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

kfallon wrote: »
    Never asked anyone if they do it but if I'm sitting in a car/taxi in traffic I start dividing the year of the car into the car number of the number plate e.g. if it's 09-D-87152 I divide 87152 by 9! Do this with most cars that end up in front of you. It's not as much fun since the Millenium tbh so I don't do it as much anymore :(

I used to try and get the two sets of numbers to be the same, using addition/subtraction/multiplication/division.
    98 W 1259
    9-8 W 9-5-2-1
    1 W 1
    Smile.

I used to try and get the two sets of numbers to be the same, using addition/subtraction/multiplication/division.
    98 W 1259
    9-8 W 9-5-2-1
    1 W 1
    Smile.

Today I learned a new game :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Scratch their balls and smell them to test for a shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

Only have the volume on the tv on an even number,cos it sounds mad if it's on an odd number !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Jaafa wrote: »
    So, when I was younger and in the car looking out the window, I used to pretend there was a 'runner', usually some ninja type dude, who'd run along side the car dodging all the obstacles that past us by. Eg: Other cars, hedges, trees etc.

I used to do that all the time!!
    Only that it was a gorgeous boy who was madly in love with me!
    He'd always run along beside the car wherever I went, dodging all sorts of obstacles etc too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Seriously, working out if a number is divisible by 98, who are you Rainman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Only have the volume on the tv on an even number,cos it sounds mad if it's on an odd number !
    I do that too.If it is on 29 I have to change it to 28 or 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I use Aertel every day :)
    News, weather, TV listings, film previews, it has it all

And lotto too of course.

Started a thread over in TV forum to see what others do and got laughed out of it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It got a lot harder when the new millenium hit. So if it didn't work out, I made a rule that the 0 on the left could be 0 or 1.

Sometimes it made it easier though, like if there was a 0 on the right, just multiply both sides by 0.
    QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Time travel

bbam wrote: »
    Seriously, working out if a number is divisible by 98, who are you Rainman?

No I'm not Rainman, just have a very mathematical orientated brain, if that's alright with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

I still play the number plate game, however mine involves starting when you see a number plate ending in 1 and then taking it from there.

I.e. 99 MH 1
    07 D 2
    03 WW 3

and so and so forth.. I've been 8 months now looking for a 15. You have to spot them in order, it's of no use if I see a 16 or a 17 this week, I have to see the 15 first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Everyone does that. Only complete bastards leave it on an odd number.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

yomtea98 wrote: »

Also the difference in volume is mad.

For example,if you have the volume on 2 during the evening when everyone in the house is up,you can barely hear it,yet if you have the volume on 2,when everyone is in bed,and you're trying to knock a cheeky one out to "A Girls guide to 21st century sex",it's like being at a Motorhead gig.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I used to do that all the time!!
    Only that it was a gorgeous boy who was madly in love with me!
    He'd always run along beside the car wherever I went, dodging all sorts of obstacles etc too.

And I never even got the finger out of ye. Gutted :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

J. Marston wrote: »
    Everyone does that. Only complete bastards leave it on an odd number.

Nope, I will put the volume at whatever volume I want at the time - couldn't care less about what number it is!

And I'm only part-bastard.

Also the difference in volume is mad.

For example,if you have the volume on 2 during the evening when everyone in the house is up,you can barely hear it,yet if you have the volume on 2,when everyone is in bed,and you're trying to knock a cheeky one out to "A Girls guide to 21st century sex",it's like being at a Motorhead gig.....:o
    I know.Late at night when I watch tv I have it down at 4 or 5 and it seems so loud but during the day I have it at 10-12 and I cannot hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

yomtea98 wrote: »

So I'm not alone then.....

I can't have tv volume on a 3, 7 or 9. Has to be even or 5.

As I'm talking to a really boring, annoying or agressive cuntomer at work, I am secretly working out ways to kill them or just escape myself. All while keeping a placid face.

I found out I can cry underwater, did it while I was swimming and depressed at same time. Got a real laugh from the oddity of it and it cheered me up no end. I can cry while cycling too, which I also found funny enough to cheer me up. :o:o (one has to be careful to do it in secret tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

I somethimes think about infinity, although I am pretty certain it is an avenue to insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    I somethimes think about infinity, although I am pretty certain it is an avenue to insanity.

Had a very long conversation with the OH about how far you'd go if you took off in a rocket pointed into the sky...we never did figure it out but it still comes up.

When I was younger I was so bored at Mass I pretended to have five bullets and shot them at people I did not like.The priest was shot alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

When i was younger...If i was walking on the pavement and heard a car coming behind me, i'd create an imaginary race to the next crack in the pavement or streetlamp and would occasionally even dip my head over the line to make sure i won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I can't have the volume on an even number, only certain odd numbers.

My room mate wrecks my head, always changes it to annoy me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Youse are all weird

As a child I used to stroke my fringe for comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I do it 5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If I happened to be sitting around those blinking lights at pedestrian crossings I'd start closing & opening my eyes so that every time I opened them I'd either constantly see the light when it was on or off , depending on how I synchronised myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I used to be a bit of a texting addict when I was a teenager, these were the days before predictive texting and qwerty phones. For years (and I still do this sometimes) when I was having a conversation with someone I'd pick one of the sentences and keep spelling it out in my head as if I was texting. For example, if someone said "How were your holidays?" in my head I'd go "g-h / m-n-o / w space w / d-e / p-q-r / d-e space w-x-y / m-n-o / t-u / p-q-r space g-h / m-n-o / j-k-l / g-h-i / d / a / w-x-y / p-q-r-s" and I'd replay it over and over again. It used to drive me absolutely mad and would happen a few times a day. Doesn't happen me so much anymore!

/twitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Does anyone else count the letters in a sentence you've just heard to see if it's an odd or even amount of letters? Then, if they're odd, make it into two piles, one odd and one even and then say the sentence again making sure to pronounce the gap in between the piles? I also feel very frustrated of its not an even number if letters :rolleyes: I literally do this about 60 times a day and it can get really distracting, especially during exams :L

Am I mental? :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Yes, yes you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

As a kid when in the back of the car at night, I used to squint my eyes and pretend the street lights coming towards us where UFO's and I had to shoot them down with my imaginary lazer beam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I used to be a bit of a texting addict when I was a teenager, these were the days before predictive texting and qwerty phones. For years (and I still do this sometimes) when I was having a conversation with someone I'd pick one of the sentences and keep spelling it out in my head as if I was texting. For example, if someone said "How were your holidays?" in my head I'd go "g-h / m-n-o / w space w / d-e / p-q-r / d-e space w-x-y / m-n-o / t-u / p-q-r space g-h / m-n-o / j-k-l / g-h-i / d / a / w-x-y / p-q-r-s" and I'd replay it over and over again. It used to drive me absolutely mad and would happen a few times a day. Doesn't happen me so much anymore!

/twitch

You so crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Does anyone else count the letters in a sentence you've just heard to see if it's an odd or even amount of letters? Then, if they're odd, make it into two piles, one odd and one even and then say the sentence again making sure to pronounce the gap in between the piles? I also feel very frustrated of its not an even number if letters :rolleyes: I literally do this about 60 times a day and it can get really distracting, especially during exams :L

Am I mental? :L

Oh I always count the amount of letters in a word and then spell the word in a certain rhythm over and over again depending on how many letters is in it. I dunno... :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I did the runner thing too, except I was the ninja and it was another version of myself running along the powerlines. It was awesome. I also used to memorise some random numberplates just so I could test myself later to see if I remembered it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

I lick the light bulb in the fridge because it's delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I also repeat the last word of a sentence under my breath like the kid "brick" from the middle :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Started years ago and still do it,if i hear a sentence or am talking I will count the letters in the sentence and see if its divisible by three,if not I try to re-arrange it so it is,starting with changing you're to you are etc to gain an extra letter and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I used to run like the T1000 from Terminator 2 when I was a kid :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

98 W 1259
    9-8 W 9-5-2-1
    1 W 1
    Smile.

This is prime example of the thread,i thought I was the only one to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Jaafa wrote: »
    Also sometimes when I really get into a book, I tend to pick up mannerisms from some of the characters for a while after. Like when I read the Narnia books years ago, for about a week after that, whenever I was thinking in my head, I'd think in that 1940's English way. 'I should think that would be jolly good' and all that lark.

This would be one of my 'things I do' too. I remember being so disappointed how disgusting a Margarita tastes because the character in a book I was reading always drank Margaritas. He also smoked a lot while drinking these Margaritas, unfortunately for me the smoking ban was in at this stage as well as the Margarita being totally undrinkable (which I suspect was down to the foul tasting Tequila).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

My life is a first person perspectove movie. Makes walking with headphones very atmospheric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wake up. Its 7:51am - "Ah I'll just close my eyes until its 8"

Open eyes, its 8:01am - "Oops, missed it, I'll just close my eyes until its ten past 8"

• Advertisement
Advertisement