Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things You Do That You Think No One Else Does

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

shuridunno wrote: »
    So I'm not alone then.....

I can't have tv volume on a 3, 7 or 9. Has to be even or 5.

As I'm talking to a really boring, annoying or agressive cuntomer at work, I am secretly working out ways to kill them or just escape myself. All while keeping a placid face.

I found out I can cry underwater, did it while I was swimming and depressed at same time. Got a real laugh from the oddity of it and it cheered me up no end. I can cry while cycling too, which I also found funny enough to cheer me up. :o:o (one has to be careful to do it in secret tho)

As us Irish say...No offence but you are fúcking weird!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Sometimes if I'm cutting slices of cheese for a sandwich and one slice is too big I think "there's too much fat in that slice of cheese". I then eat the cheese and cut a smaller slice to put in the sandwich.

I like to look at my digital watch and see five (sometimes six) similar digits. For instance I like to see it go to 1:11 and 11 seconds. Even better is when it goes to 11:11 and 11 seconds. I'm sure a lot of children like doing this but I'm 36 years old.

If I'm listening to a CD I have to listen to it all the way through without pressing pause or stop. If I need to go to the toilet I wait until the CD is over, unless I need to go really badly in which case I start listening to the CD again from the beginning. I wear headphones and if my ear gets itchy I put up with it until the CD is over rather than removing the headphones and scratching my ear. I don't even like to touch the volume control while the CD is playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Sometimes if I'm cutting slices of cheese for a sandwich and one slice is too big I think "there's too much fat in that slice of cheese". I then eat the cheese and cut a smaller slice to put in the sandwich.

I like to look at my digital watch and see five (sometimes six) similar digits. For instance I like to see it go to 1:11 and 11 seconds. Even better is when it goes to 11:11 and 11 seconds. I'm sure a lot of children like doing this but I'm 36 years old.

If I'm listening to a CD I have to listen to it all the way through without pressing pause or stop. If I need to go to the toilet I wait until the CD is over, unless I need to go really badly in which case I start listening to the CD again from the beginning. I wear headphones and if my ear gets itchy I put up with it until the CD is over rather than removing the headphones and scratching my ear. I don't even like to touch the volume control while the CD is playing.
    Ah jaysus

When i was young and in a car looking out the windows i would imagine myself grabbing onto telegraph poles as we passed them, once the next pole came into sight i'd let go and spring (catapult style) to it.

Perfectly normal i was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I piss in the sink

omahaid wrote: »
    I piss in the sink

Thats no biggy, everyone does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus

Ah jaysus indeed!

I popped back into this thread hoping for more car window runners and laser beam street lights - what I got instead was a load of OCD nutters :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah jaysus indeed!

I popped back into this thread hoping for more car window runners and laser beam street lights - what I got instead was a load of OCD nutters :pac:
    It's not OCD. It's CDO. Very similar, but the letters are in alphabetical order! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

CJC999 wrote: »
    When i was young and in a car looking out the windows i would imagine myself grabbing onto telegraph poles as we passed them, once the next pole came into sight i'd let go and spring (catapult style) to it.

Perfectly normal i was.

You've reminded me of another one of mine (I'm know there are loads but I see them as normal so they're not presenting themselves immediately for posting here), from when I was a child.

To pass the time in mass, especially if I was in a different church to my usual/local church, I used imagine I'd somehow got stuck up in the rafters/beams of the ceiling and would work out my monkey-like escape route up this beam, across another, trapeze swing to a window, hold on tight and then somersault to another beam etc. This worked a lot better in big churches with elaborate beams in the ceiling but there was always plenty of scope in any church.

The other thing I'd do is pretend I had something amazing and interesting in my pocket that I'd forgotten about and had just found again. I used wonder if anyone else, as bored as I was, was thinking "I wonder what she's found in her pocket that's so amazing". I'm sure they weren't...but at the time I thought it possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Easy Rod wrote: »
    When i was younger...If i was walking on the pavement and heard a car coming behind me, i'd create an imaginary race to the next crack in the pavement or streetlamp and would occasionally even dip my head over the line to make sure i won.

I'm 34 years old and I still do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

When i was a kid I used to imagine there was a special race of people living in the walls of houses and they'd bring me in there for adventures. Of course i don't do that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

boo3000 wrote: »
    When i was a kid I used to imagine there was a special race of people living in the walls of houses and they'd bring me in there for adventures. Of course i don't do that anymore.

That's terrifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Welcome to my world.....

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I went through a stage of scratching furniture in particular wooden items…. Tables, chairs, sideboards in particular but I see where you might be seeing this very differently to me!!

I wasn’t scraping/damaging the furniture- I was actually scratching the furniture cause I thought it was itchy!!

LOL makes me laugh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Walking home in from school (especially in autumn) before every step I'd quickly pick out three leaves - two were goalposts and one was the ball. I'd kick the 'ball' between the 'posts' and carry one with each step.

I still do it sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When i was younger...If i was walking on the pavement and heard a car coming behind me, i'd create an imaginary race to the next crack in the pavement or streetlamp and would occasionally even dip my head over the line to make sure i won.

Oh yeah, did something similar....don't do it anymore tho....honest :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

kraggy wrote: »
    I'm 34 years old and I still do that!
    Sweet, now I can admit I still do it. Freaked when I lose though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

omahaid wrote: »
    I piss in the sink

Oh yeah?! I **** with the door open

But on a serious note, I work for my local paper reporting on local GAA matches and I have often spent half the night working out what time I would have to leave the house at to be at matches in ample time, a few days in advance. For example, if I had a match on a Saturday evening at 6 p.m, I would planning ahead on say Wednesday night as to what time I would leave the house at. Doesn't sound like the craziest thing of all time, but it those get annoying having estimated departure times floating around in the mind when I'm trying to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sweet, now I can admit I still do it. Freaked when I lose though.

Mine was kinda different in that it was a race to see if I could cross the road before an oncoming car (or a car coming behind) would pass me out. Both feet had to be on the path for me to win, the amount of times I couldn't get my poxy left foot down in time and lost by the length of a bee's dick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Oh yeah?! I **** with the door open

One of my mates used to take a dump at parties with the door open, he had no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Make 4 pot turbo or V8 engine noises as I walk around the place pretending to be driving a WRC car or a Ferrari supercar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

If no one is around, and I'm listening to music on my headphones, I like to imagine someone is filming me for the music video, and I act appropriately for the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    If no one is around, and I'm listening to music on my headphones, I like to imagine someone is filming me for the music video, and I act appropriately for the music.

I do that too when I'm driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

If i scratch between my fingers with my thumb i have to scratch each one equally if i dont i have to give the one i missed an extra couple of scratches. I kinda do the same thing with grooves on anything i have to touch all the grooves fully if i dont il keep touching it til i do...
    Is that really weird??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I still do this except now I'm on a bike and its when I cycle home from work.

I have to beat the bus out the N11 as far as the first Passenger overpass, If I do I'm delighted all evening, but when I dont I try and have another race with some other vehicle so I can win...

When I was a child I used to on long car journeys count the lamp posts on the side of the road, or one I spent hours counting out loud on a trip from Cobh to Killybegs. I think we got as far as Sligo and my parents were ready to snap...
    I used to think it was easier to have 100 seconds in a minute so on these journeys I could count all the way up to 8 or 9 thousand depending on how many more minutes my dad said we were away from you destination...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

used to stick the small earphone buds in my mouth to make cool loudspeaker effect

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Haroldinio

I used to imagine a laser beaming out of the car wing mirrors cutting the hedges down to wing mirror level. I didn't want to cut the telephone poles or cyclists so i had to imagine turning the laser off/on really quickly at every one. I still find myself doing it........off/on...........off/on...........off/on...........off/on......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When playing season mode on Fifa I really immerse myself in it. For instance during the day at work or wherever I'm thinking about my upcoming games and changes to the team I can make, transfer buys etc.

When I achieve success with my team I feel really proud and satisfied, when I lose I cry and break things. My biggest 'achievement' was in Fifa 10 where I brought Notts County from League 2 all the way to Premiership and Champions League glory. In my fantasy world I was given the freedom of Nottingham and inducted into the county Hall Of Fame for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When playing season mode on Fifa I really immerse myself in it. For instance during the day at work or wherever I'm thinking about my upcoming games and changes to the team I can make, transfer buys etc.

When I achieve success with my team I feel really proud and satisfied, when I lose I cry and break things. My biggest 'achievement' was in Fifa 10 where I brought Notts County from League 2 all the way to Premiership and Champions League glory. In my fantasy world I was given the freedom of Nottingham and inducted into the county Hall Of Fame for this.

I used to do that too, when I was around 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

J. Marston wrote: »
    I used to do that too, when I was around 9.

I'm 24. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

instead of beans on toast, I eat beans in toasted pitta bread. me gusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Jaafa wrote: »
    Also sometimes when I really get into a book, I tend to pick up mannerisms from some of the characters for a while after.

I do that too except it's usually with characters from a movie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Great thread OP.

The least of my secret weird habits, of which I have literally thousands:

When I'm a passenger in a car I can't help but image that there are lasers coming out of the outsides of my shoes which have to avoid all cars, either parked or moving, and all pedestrians. If my toes are flat the laser is flat, going along the ground. This is the lethal height. Anything that comes in contact with this laser will be destroyed. If I raise my toes to press against the top of my shoes the lasers are raised, thus avoiding any road or footpath users.

The effect of this mindset is that on any car journey, half my mind is focused on raising and lowering my toes in concert with the traffic on the road outside so to save them from the lethal lasers of death which shoot from my shoes. Why don't I just keep the lasers up all the time so nobody gets hurt you ask? I don't know, it has just never felt right. I think I have to at least flirt with danger.

I would be genuinely be interested to know if either A) anybody else does this or B) if you would consider somebody who does this (and a lot of other similar weird habitual turns) to be in some way crazy?

Haroldinio wrote: »
    I used to imagine a laser beaming out of the car wing mirrors cutting the hedges down to wing mirror level. I didn't want to cut the telephone poles or cyclists so i had to imagine turning the laser off/on really quickly at every one. I still find myself doing it........off/on...........off/on...........off/on...........off/on......:)

How did you turn them off? Did you just do it with your mind? I have a very similar thing I still do, as you can see in my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

"Things You Do That You Think No One Else Does "....

Indicate at a roundabout.

Realise there is someone else in front of you at an ATM before they decide to sort out their "PURSE" or wallet and it takes them forever to realise what they're doing!

Say "thank you" and "please"

Supermarket self service means a basket and not a trolley full...especially when tesco's machines decide to upload the "managers" profile or the machine confuses customers so much with "unexpected item in the baggage area" that they have a near death experience at the thing!, and you just get so annoyed in your own head when three out of the six machines are being used by people that believe that a famine is on the way and the last technology they encountered was VHS. Then you can see yourself becoming famous for all the wrong reasons!

Suss out the fool that cuts you off in traffic and you make sure they're not part of the Manson clan before you let rip through face and body language with the protection of your cars capabilities from going 0-100kmh..(hence, i don't engage in road rage).

Respect my elders.

Want to just shout out my voice the top of my lungs in a queue - "FFS...you're invading my body space and you've already made way too much body contact"*
    jeez

(* God damn Gamestop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

How did you turn them off? Did you just do it with your mind? I have a very similar thing I still do, as you can see in my post above.
    blinking turns them off for me. when my eyes are closed, the lasers turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

When walking on the footpath, counting how many steps in between the gaps. I'd lengthen or shorten my stride to try and make sure I took the same amount of steps on each section.

Still do that sometimes.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    blinking turns them off for me. when my eyes are closed, the lasers turn off.

Jaysus, playing very loose and fast with the aul lasers there buddy. Surely you have to have your eyes open to be able to judge when something is going to come in contact with them, or to know when it's ok to turn them on again? Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Every sentence I heard,I used to repeat in my head over and over and see how many syllables were in it.It used to annoy me so much if there was an uneven number of syllables in the sentence.Used to do it for song lyrics aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Does anyone else count the letters in a sentence you've just heard to see if it's an odd or even amount of letters? Then, if they're odd, make it into two piles, one odd and one even and then say the sentence again making sure to pronounce the gap in between the piles? I also feel very frustrated of its not an even number if letters :rolleyes: I literally do this about 60 times a day and it can get really distracting, especially during exams :L

Am I mental? :L
    I read the entire thread to see if anyone else does this. I do it too; In my case, it's a matter of counting the syllables in sentences and the letters in individual words to make sure they are not odd. It can get absurdly addictive, I find I have to really force myself to stop doing it

f_o_r_c_e... dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

when younger, having some "personal love" time, getting the image of a dead relatives ghost hoovering over me looking disapprovingly, killing the mood in a nano sec. i put it down to a catholic thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I remember as a child I would count the cats eyes on the road as we were driving and they had to be all in a row, so if there was a cats eye missing, I'd start again.

Just thinking back actually, another weird one I used to do when I was much younger. There was a church around the corner where I used to live. I used to be able to see the courtyard area from the window in the back bathroom of the house. When I was in the shower I could often see a funeral going on at the church. Sometimes I would go down to the church when the funeral was over and watch the people coming out carrying the coffin. I'd imagine them all floating over the ground with giant stakes rammed through their backs. They'd be hovering along about half a metre off the ground with blood dripping out from the wounds in their backs (incidentally the amount of blood never tallied with the severity of the wounds, it was always just a drip or a trickle, never the flow you'd expect from being impaled with a large wooden stake). I'd also image each head and face being affected differently by the impalement, such as skewed to the side by the protrusion of the end of the stake from behind the clavicle, or pushed forward by misalignment of the spine. I don't know why they had to be floating, or even impaled, but that's always how I imagined it, and how I drew it out.

My mother absolutely freaked out when she found a load of my drawings of this in my drawer when I was in my teens. She even told doctors about it later on when I had a few mental issues. It was very grisly for sure, but it was never anything more than a day dream to me, and I could never fully explain its origin or the reasons for its persistence. When we moved away from that house I never once did it again, even when I was at funeral. That's mad actually, I haven't thought of it in years!

I'm glad i'm not the only one:)
    The laser is permanently on but to turn it off i press my thumb against my first two fingers. Think pinch of salt action. Whenever i'm driving i let my fingers off the steering wheel but still holding on with my thumb.
    How did you feel if you didn't lift your toes in time? Did you kill many innocent people?:)

Haroldinio wrote: »
    I'm glad i'm not the only one:)
    The laser is permanently on but to turn it off i press my thumb against my first two fingers. Think pinch of salt action. Whenever i'm driving i let my fingers off the steering wheel but still holding on with my thumb.
    How did you feel if you didn't lift your toes in time? Did you kill many innocent people?:)

Interesting method, nice laser rig you have there. My lasers are always on too, all I can do is raise or lower them, but the don't cause any damage when raised. When I mowed somebody down with my lasers I used to feel something which was so close to genuine sadness that I began to think the whole thing was weird and forced myself to stop for a while. Now it's more like losing after a decent run in Tetris, perturbing but not particularly troubling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

I used to blink at things I wanted, in real life or on telly, then roll my eyes back in my head, to store them in a kind of blinked-at memory bank, so if ever i got a wish I could say "i want all the things in my blink bank!" instead of listing things, which i might not be allowed to do.

I gave up the roll eyes bit, when i realised that was a bit strange looking. I still find myself blinking at the telly, sometimes, 20 years later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭SJPK

Don't know if anyone's said this but I squeeze the bijaysis out of my sandwiches! Make em then flip, squeeze, flip, squeeze! Nice n flat! The looks I get sometimes'd kill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

SheFiend wrote: »
    I used to blink at things I wanted, in real life or on telly, then roll my eyes back in my head, to store them in a kind of blinked-at memory bank, so if ever i got a wish I could say "i want all the things in my blink bank!" instead of listing things, which i might not be allowed to do.

I gave up the roll eyes bit, when i realised that was a bit strange looking. I still find myself blinking at the telly, sometimes, 20 years later...

I did that!!!!! Mine was an album of blinked photos! OH that's nice, blink. Now I'll never forget it, its in my album :)

When I mowed somebody down with my lasers I used to feel something which was so close to genuine sadness that I began to think the whole thing was weird and forced myself to stop for a while. Now it's more like losing after a decent run in Tetris, perturbing but not particularly troubling.

Yes exactly the same feeling when i forgot about a cyclist. I wasn't too worried about the telephone poles. It was more important to keep the hedges neat:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

When browsing through the sky tv menu I look at the list of programmes and try to make up amusing sentences using the jumbled up words of the shows onscreen i.e

Two and a half - celebrity - apprentice - gypsy - teenage - champions - bang - the simpsons - mother

Its quite fun, albeit quite sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement