Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things You Do That You Think No One Else Does

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Does anyone else count the letters in a sentence you've just heard to see if it's an odd or even amount of letters? Then, if they're odd, make it into two piles, one odd and one even and then say the sentence again making sure to pronounce the gap in between the piles? I also feel very frustrated of its not an even number if letters :rolleyes: I literally do this about 60 times a day and it can get really distracting, especially during exams :L

Am I mental? :L

I do this

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

when i was like 6-9 years old. i'd cry on christmas eve cause i thought the reindeer's would eat me if i wasn't asleep. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I pretends I'm some a harrier jump-jet and that my arms are wings and my hands are my jets and when I get up out of a chair I pretend Im taking off with noise etc.
    Sometimes when Im walking up a steep hill I make truck noises.
    I also like pretending my car is a speed boat.

If I go for a piss in a foamy toilet i try to spell my name.

I talk to myself all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Haroldinio wrote: »
    I used to do this as well. Going for a spin in the car was fun:)

I also like eating OXO cubes and i'm just curious to see if anybody else will admit to it:)
    Never ate an OXO cube, but I did try smoke one before. It was one of the Italian Herbs and Spices OXO cubes. It was a mixture of boredom and curiosity that ended in disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If I flick my fingers or thumb off my other fingers, I have to do that on the other hand, and do it alternately another 4 times.

If I turn the volume from lets say, 15 to 16, I have to go back to 14 to put it back to 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Play imaginary drums with my feet in bed, counting each beat I make.

Make out faces and creatures from the pebble dash effect on the ceiling

Run up the stairs like a licker from Resident Evil 2.... when no ones around

does anyone else like turning block ice-cream into ice-cream cone texture before they start to eat it? :) i'm eating some right now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I sometimes imagine that I am the main character in a TV drama about my life.

The people I see most days are the other main characters, and then there are 'guest stars', friends I see every so often.

Sometimes I think when I am invited to a party or an event, the producers are getting bored, so they want something to spice it up a bit.

People that I haven't seen in ages and I meet unexpectedly or every so often are 'back by popular demand.'

It makes life seem a bit more fun at times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

coconut5 wrote: »
    I sometimes imagine that I am the main character in a TV drama about my life.

The people I see most days are the other main characters, and then there are 'guest stars', friends I see every so often.

Sometimes I think when I am invited to a party or an event, the producers are getting bored, so they want something to spice it up a bit.

People that I haven't seen in ages and I meet unexpectedly or every so often are 'back by popular demand.'

It makes life seem a bit more fun at times!
    Apparently this is quite common and partly inspired "The Trueman Show". I used to have similar notions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Bubbleope wrote: »
    does anyone else like turning block ice-cream into ice-cream cone texture before they start to eat it? :) i'm eating some right now! :)
    It just tastes better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I used to do that race the car thing when I was a kid... i still do it now when I am taking an off ramp on a motorway... a car cant pass me before I hit the ramp.

Skin my nails.

Also, I have to check the door to make sure its locked even though I know it is. I have often stopped on the way to work, turned around driven 20 mins back to check... I'm a bit of a freak with that.

I also shout really loudly when I am driving alone.

I must have a bit of everything on my fork when I finish my dinner. This sometimes leads to a massive fork of food and practically having to dislocate my jaw to fit it in.

I beep at complete strangers and wave at them, its just messing but I know that they will spend a lot of time trying to figure out who drives the black focus :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm going to break the rules slightly because this is something I know other people do.

In a supermarket, stare vacantly at the shelves.

Then, when I'm having a focused day, and see another person doing it, I sometimes feel like going over to them and saying "I feel your pain brother/sister".

I don't though, because it'd ruin that wonderful trance-like feeling. I just smile bemusedly to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Every night I come home from the pub/nite club, I have to tell all my news to my dog. Who I was talking to, who was looking well, what I had in the chipper etc! I know I'm sad......

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

when walking home from work sometimes i play a game to see the oldest reg i can and then see every reg after that year, before i reach my car. a few times i saw 84, 87, 88 models and actually suceeded in seeing every year right up to 2012:) great to make a boring walk pass quickly. the day i saw 54 reg i failed abysmally :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have a habit of "typing" out sentences I say or think with my fingers and with my toes.

I don't actually hold my hands out in "typing mode" but just move my fingers (and toes :o) wherever they happen to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I do a lot of what's been posted here already. This is one not yet mentioned, see if anybody else does it.

When I'm in a largish building, say a shopping centre or cinema or hospital, I imagine what would happen if for some reason I was locked in with everybody there so that we couldn't leave for some time, like we were under siege or there was a nuclear disaster outside. I then imagine how it would pan out - I check out the people around me and wonder which of these strangers I'd bond with, who I'd hate, how we'd survive being locked in, who'd become the leader of the group and who'd be the followers. This is particularly fun in airports when there's a lot of free time to let the mind wander about such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If I'm walking along a pavement or floor with a design, I'll step on every second slab or try and walk in a sequence between each section of a path (e.g. Try make it in 4-5 steps between each 'line' and so on). And I feel ridiculously happy with myself when I do so successfully.

I know. I'm a freak.

leggo wrote: »
    If I'm walking along a pavement or floor with a design, I'll step on every second slab or try and walk in a sequence between each section of a path (e.g. Try make it in 4-5 steps between each 'line' and so on). And I feel ridiculously happy with myself when I do so successfully.

I know. I'm a freak.

haha i do that too!! :pac:

SheFiend wrote: »
    I used to blink at things I wanted, in real life or on telly, then roll my eyes back in my head, to store them in a kind of blinked-at memory bank, so if ever i got a wish I could say "i want all the things in my blink bank!" instead of listing things, which i might not be allowed to do.

I gave up the roll eyes bit, when i realised that was a bit strange looking. I still find myself blinking at the telly, sometimes, 20 years later...

I do something similar, but it's not a blink bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Kenno90 wrote: »

I'm not allowed to do this anymore now that I have to share!!

I still try and sneak it though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Saw an episode of star trek when i was a kid when they got stuck in the holo-deck. They didn't realise they were living in an entirely computer generated world but when they figured it out they had to say "computer end program" to get back to the real world.
    I spent f**kin ages wondering if i was a) living in a computer generated world and b) if i wanted to get back to the real world. I finally figured i would want to get back to the real world. I waited till there was absoloutly no chance of anybody being around and plucked up the courage to say the words. Nothing happened but i went on to wreck my head thinking maybe my computer would need a different phrase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I had something similar to the runner beside the car for long journeys, I had a motorcyclist who rode along the telegraph wires and had to jump every pole. When we reached a junction or an area without poles, he had to jump from signpost to roadside furniture, anything so as not to touch the ground.

Sometimes I wonder with the modern road network, are kids today missing out on the whole telegraph pole game, or have they come up with their old alternatives.

Also, to this day when I am on the train and able to see the other tracks, I try to focus on one individual sleeper for a second by moving my eyes rapidly. Much easier on the DART than on the train down to the parents house.

I did the "computer, end programme" thing too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

blueturnip wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to do this anymore now that I have to share!!

I still try and sneak it though...

Same, except I don't sneak it, I just scream "WARMTH!!!" in her ear.

Gotta tuck both sides too... Mmmm............
    The cocoonery of it all.
    It's a wonderful thing.

In that picture doesn't he even have it up to his shoulders! What a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blahh89

A few toilet related ones..

- I used to see how far away I could get from the toilet while going number 1. Unfortunately, it slows down fairly quick so it usually resulted in it going everywhere.

- Before taking a dump, I'd spread my cheeks with my hands so when I sit down it's actually stretched out.

- I used to take my pants off before I got to the toilet. No idea why...

- If I took a bath I'd bubble the **** out of it and pretend it was ice-cream.

Just plain weird random ones..

- If I was playing with a balloon I'd try and keep it in the air, if it hit the ground the world would explode. This actually made me nervous, don't like balloons anymore..

- I froze a snowball one winter so I could use it in the Summer. Unfortunately science made it turn to ice. Iceballs hurt. Nuff' said

- I used to tie stuff to my dog. I actually used to masking tape him for the fun of it. One year I masking taped CDs to the bottom of each of his paws and pushed him out on the icy pavement. I'm a dick, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

If there's someone walking ahead of me I'll start to race them so that I pass them out. This continues until I've passed everyone out. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gillington wrote: »
    Started years ago and still do it,if i hear a sentence or am talking I will count the letters in the sentence and see if its divisible by three,if not I try to re-arrange it so it is,starting with changing you're to you are etc to gain an extra letter and vice versa

YES!

Glad I'm not the only one. If it's divisible by 3, 5 or 9 then I'm a happy person!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

When I'm in the passenger side of a car, and we pass a sign that says how many kilometres there are to the destination, I look at how fast the driver is going and try to figure out approximately how long it will take.

For example: 'Waterford 24'
    Driving at..*checks speed dial*...70km/hr
    So, 70 in 1 hour, 35 in half an hour...then I give up cos it gets too complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

In a similar vein to the car journey ninja laser saw types.
    I would do this on the long boring bus journeys - I would have my head rested on the window and use either the kerb or on some roads the white line if it had it and imagine that it was the trail of a tiny tiny airplane. It would weave in and out, closer the further up and down, just matching speed with me.

I also imagine trails behind people walking, just like Tron, and I have to avoid walking into their trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If on the first or second floor of a shopping centre, and waiting at the railings for some reason, I would try to plan my route down to the ground floor if there was an emergency and the stairs/escalator/lifts weren't an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

quickbeam wrote: »
    When I'm in a largish building, say a shopping centre or cinema or hospital, I imagine what would happen if for some reason I was locked in with everybody there so that we couldn't leave for some time, like we were under siege or there was a nuclear disaster outside. I then imagine how it would pan out - I check out the people around me and wonder which of these strangers I'd bond with, who I'd hate, how we'd survive being locked in, who'd become the leader of the group and who'd be the followers. This is particularly fun in airports when there's a lot of free time to let the mind wander about such things.

I do this too. I imagine how long we'd survive for and what we'd do all day to avoid going mad and killing each other.

A few of mine:

I always count the steps when walking down stairs. Taking two at a time doesnt change the total. 10 steps are perfect, 13 is a disaster. All should be even so you start each flight with the same foot.

When you have a meal you must constantly monitor the amount of each food so that you have all foods available right up until the last bite. This is for everything except McDonalds. Chips first, burger second. No exceptions.

When peeing and someone has left a s*** stain in the bowl, you must aim your pee-hose at it to attempt to remove all.

Must leave a one man gap at urinals. No next door neighbours. Use toilets if all urinals have neighbours. Aim for the blue urinal block also ;-) No block, go for maximum height.

Imagine punching all slow walking movers in the back of the head. weave between them quickly and smoothly to avoid the snipers in the surrounding buildings.

Anyone else blow on their food when its very hot OR very cold???

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Anyone else blow on their food when its very hot OR very cold???

Yes! If it's too anything- spicy, fizzy, hot or cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Jaafa wrote: »
    So, when I was younger and in the car looking out the window, I used to pretend there was a 'runner', usually some ninja type dude, who'd run along side the car dodging all the obstacles that past us by. Eg: Other cars, hedges, trees etc.

ME TOO! thats unreal! Except my runner was usually a beast of some sort , I once had this toy: http://www.bogleech.com/junk/aliens-bull.jpg which was usually the beast that ran alongside the car.

I used to squint at street lights at night when i was a kid, My eyelashes made the lights look like long beams of light. I would wait for a car to come an unsquint my eyes to reduce the light beam enough for the car to pass under it and then squint again to make my light beam barrier longer, I would try to time it with the cars to and try not let the light beam touch them. If the light touched the cars it would cut them in half.

I also make swords out of bus tickets when I'm on the bus. En guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

There are some normal folks in AH.
    Thank God. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Blinking between cars passing us. I can only blink once between each car, and I can't blink again until another car passes. If I blink twice before another car passes, I lose.

Also around the time when I started touch typing, I used to picture myself typing out the sentence in my head after I said it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Always, always walk on the right hand side of stairs

I went to a CBS and they were strict on all these small little things
    Must have stuck with me, I do it still

Yeah it makes sense when you've a few hundred people on a narrow stairs.

Even when I'm on my own now I must stick to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

A few of mine:

I always count the steps when walking down stairs. Taking two at a time doesnt change the total. 10 steps are perfect, 13 is a disaster. All should be even so you start each flight with the same foot.

Thought I was the only one who counted the steps. My house has 13, and every day I hope its something different. I Also like to start stairs with the foot which its inside faces the banistor rail (if my right hand is on the rail, left foot first).

At traffic lights, waiting to turn, I like to see the flashing ambers sync up so they flash in tandem, it only last for so long til I lose my mind :(

If i'm walking along the path and someone is walking at the same pace, I like to walk faster so I can pass them and not have the awkward feeling that they think I'm creeping up behind them.

I cant cross the road if there's a possibility someone will be walking alongside me, I'll stay on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Butterface wrote: »
    If I'm by myself in the house and cooking something or baking, I sometimes do a Darina Allen type narration of what I'm doing.

I do this as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm no a cleanliness freak, am pretty easy going

But I don't like grabbing the door handle in the toilets in cinemas
    So after washing my hands and about to leave I'll use my sleeve to grip it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Haroldinio wrote: »
    I used to do this as well. Going for a spin in the car was fun:)

I also like eating OXO cubes and i'm just curious to see if anybody else will admit to it:)

Whenever I go on an 'eat nothing and try to lose like 20 stone in 5 mins, then put it all back on straight away' diet, I always have brown rice with half an oxo cube sprinkled over it for dinner :p it's actually nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

i'm sure lots of kids did this but the stopwatch game trying to get it to stop on 20 miliseconds or as low as possible prob 15 miliseconds was my record......hours of fun.....dunno if the youth of today would be as amused with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Heavily influenced by video games, and what I did when I was a kid,

But anytime I would go out after a gaming session to the shops/friends I would re-imagine the area having allies and enemy soldiers occupying positions on the 'battlefield', taking up strategic points, dropships/chinooks deploying soldiers to the field and taking direct hits, orders being shouted out and the local buildings taking damage due to cover fire or collapsing, fighter planes roaring overheard exchanging fire and crashing off in the distance causing massive plumes of smoke.

Getting the milk from the corner shop was always more interesting that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

lisaj wrote: »
    I still play the number plate game, however mine involves starting when you see a number plate ending in 1 and then taking it from there.

I.e. 99 MH 1
    07 D 2
    03 WW 3

and so and so forth.. I've been 8 months now looking for a 15. You have to spot them in order, it's of no use if I see a 16 or a 17 this week, I have to see the 15 first...
    I'm not sure if this has been posted as I haven't read the rest of the thread but you could be waiting a while trying to get much higher. Up until this yearany number plate registered below 200 had to specially ordered so the numbers like 1, 7 11, 100 etc would be bought but who'd buy a 15 or a 16? I'd hazard a guess that there are only 26 cars in the country (all from this year) that have 15, or the same for many of the numbers below 200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

At traffic lights, waiting to turn, I like to see the flashing ambers sync up so they flash in tandem, it only last for so long til I lose my mind :(.

Oh, yeah, I've been at this for years. If there's 2 cars in front of me I'll watch for when the indicators meet, timing-wise, in the lit position. Then, if time allows, I'll count the amount of flashes (on one of the cars) it takes before they meet again.

I know there must be some sort of fraction-based equation available but I'm shyte at maths and don't have the count on the other car to compare (I've tried a few times, it's not easy to count the 2 of them simultaneously) so I always give up and just enjoy the aesthetics of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

pick up cans and litter from outside my gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love pretending there's a hit out on me, I give a sly glance under the car for a bomb, and squeeze my eyes shut when starting the car.
    Also love to pretend I'm being chased by the Guards.
    I have a whole other life, a kind of sliding doors thing. Think it comes from having moved to Ireland as a child. In this life, I still live in England, my husband is a stocky little thug with tacky jewellery, and pitbulls. I drink loads, and do drugs, and have lots of whiney kids. Sounds great:o
    I pretend that my Dad's not dead, but has gone on holiday. Wherever I go on holiday I'll catch a glance of him, maybe going past on a bus or something, but I'll never actually catch up with him. But it's OK, because he's still alive.
    Am obsessed with the numbers 2,3,7 and 9. Got a new car recently and didn't like the numbers on it, as it didn't include any of these. Realised then if I add the numbers together it makes 9. The relief:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I must have OCD like all you people too because I actually read this entire thread despite the fact it's absolutely horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I have a habit of "typing" out sentences I say or think with my fingers and with my toes.

I don't actually hold my hands out in "typing mode" but just move my fingers (and toes :o) wherever they happen to be.

I used to do something very similar. I'd tap out the syllables in a sentence or phrase on my fingers. It'd drive me f*cking mental if I couldn't make it end on either the thumb or the pinky. Sometimes I'd bring in the digits on my other hand as well.

Then one day when I was getting frustrated with a particularly long phrase, I just thought, seriously - this has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Count steps when going places.

P.S, (No wonder there are so many car accidents what with people trying to be Matt Damon out of Good Will Hunting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

When I'm putting my contact lenses into the case, the right one has to go into the one marked L, and the left one has to go into the one marked R.

I've been doing this for over a decade now, I'd actually get confused if I put them into the case the right way round! :o I'm just used to doing it this way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement