Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

style rut!!!

• 14-06-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

how do you get yourself out of a style rut??!
    im 26 and basically for years i have never known my own personal style!!

its depressing. i wear whats comfortable mostly. like i cant wear high heels (even on a night out), i just dont think they are worth the pain. lol.
    id wear skinny jeans, and tshirts.
    im a pear shape! ive a small waist, a size 12 bum, and fairly big thighs and calves. jeans are always too long (a few pairs of jeans i have bought over the past few years dont have different leg lengths).
    so skinnies only look nice on me with flipflops or sandals. if i wear runners or converse type shoes, i have to have flares on. my legs are just too short and stumpy to pull runners with skinnies off. if i wear boots i feel like a farmer!!! i dont know why, but i just do!

i dont seem to have the confidence to wear new style things (seeing it written like that seems ridiculous now!)
    what i mean is like im comfortable in what other are used to seeing me in, if you get me.

i dont really have the money to be spending to go get expensive nice new clothes. penneys is really all i can afford, ive tried charity shops too, but the ones where i live are terrible, lots of granny clothes.

my problem is is that i dont know how to identify what style would suit me best, what style i actually like the best, how its my own and not a copy of a celebrity or other people on the street. every day is a struggle to figure out what to wear!!

any tips on how to get the confidence to wear something i wouldnt normally wear???
    when i am shopping (in penneys), any tips on what kind of tactics to use while shopping for an outfit?
    i love penneys, and i cant afford river island or any of those places.

has anyone here gotten themselves out of a style rut?? ANY hints or tips would be great. ive googled it, but most of the articles i found just assume you have money!!! :(
    i have started running and excersizing the past few weeks to shape and tone up, and lose some weight. and im determined to keep it up.

im going back to college in september, and i want to have good confidence when i start. im very shy, but if i think i look good, then i feel good and hopefully wont be too self-concious in meeting new people! (does that sound very shallow??!!! but it is true)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I recently had to force myself out of the studenty type of uniform into more 'grown up' clothes, so I can only give my opinion. I knew what kind of clOthes I wanted to wear- a more guyish, dapper kind of style, but I was terrified of the reactions I'd get from people who knew me, and people on the street.

The first thing is to start from a blank canvas. Forget about what you've always worn- look at every type of style
    Imaginable. Look in magazines, on style blogs, look through lookbook.nu online for inspiration. Take note of what you like on other people. Don't restrict yourself to people with the same shape as you, or who are the same age. Look at anyone and everyone. Take note of what you like. Accessories, everything. Pinterest is great for putting together what you like, and you'll start to see a pattern as to ye type of stuff you like. Pm me for an invite if you want.

As for worrying what people think- fake it. Fake being confident in something new. If you're trying a new item of clothing, in an average day, no one except you will really know you're trying something brand new. So pretend you're ok with it. You'll start getting compliments which will build your confidence, and you'll realise that you're not faking the confidence anymore.

Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Try on everything! That's the biggest tip I give myself and my sister. I literally have to force my sister to try on different clothes or different colours. I'm not saying she likes them all the time but a lot of the time it works. It's a thing we all get - oh that wouldn't suit me... But how do you really know?

Also, if you really mean it - throw out the clothes that are dragging you down. Shapeless tees or the comfy clothes you fall back on. My sis recently threw out a lovely maxi dress that she loves cos she knew it would be all she wore all summer otherwise.

And I agree with the above. Read the fashion blogs, mags, everything. You don't need to slavishly follow a certain trend (which, you don't seem to want to do anyway) but by reading loads you'll pick up on the little bits that you really like.

You may initially feel like you're copying a certain style but that'll change as you see more and different things that you like. You make your own style. And you'll like it. And you'll still be comfortable. :D Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

great!!! thanks a mill! going to set the day aside tomorrow to get rid of all the crap i have in my warddrobe, and start looking things up. a friend of mine told me "stumbleupon" is great for beauty and fashion tips. ill be researching all around the internet until bed.
    going to definitely do my best to fake my confidence!!! and im very excited about it! :)
    i am guilty of looking at things and thinking they wont suit me without trying them on, so im going to be more patient and try more things and be more open minded.
    are you better off buying a whole outfit in one go? or is it better to buy like one thing a week say, and go from there? (for casual everyday clothes i mean, not like formally stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

if i were you i'd focus on basics at the start- jeans, work trousers (if you need them) skirts, basic tops etc. I'm sure you don't need to get rid of everything in your wardrobe- I'm sure the jeans you have will do fine for now. Why not try and get some new accessories, that will change and liven up stuff you have that you can keep? You'd be surprised what throwing on a new, bright scarf will do for your 'old' outfits, especially if you're low on cash.

I'd also urge you to look in other shops to Penneys, if you can. I'm not saying you have to buy anything, but look. In my experience, there are shops in which you can get better quality stuff for not much more than you'd pay in penneys. If you hit places like New Look, H&M, Top Shop in sales, or even just in general you'd be surprised how reasonable they can be.

Advertisement