Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

judo gradings

• 14-06-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

how long would be the lengh of time you could achive a judo black belt say you trained twice week. The nijf time limit is 2 years.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

how long would be the lengh of time you could achive a judo black belt say you trained twice week. The nijf time limit is 2 years.:)

depends on the player. my coach is a great player and was really motivated and managed to do it in 2.5 years, though he would have been training more than twice a week. others are more laid back and and take 10 years. average is between 5 and 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

depends on the player. my coach is a great player and was really motivated and managed to do it in 2.5 years, though he would have been training more than twice a week. others are more laid back and and take 10 years. average is between 5 and 7 years.

I'd say this is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

just to let you know a male person in belfast done it in 13 months last december he was a orange belt now hes a black belt:eek:

just to let you know a male person in belfast done it in 13 months last december he was a orange belt now hes a black belt:eek:

I find that very hard to believe. And if it did happen something farcial went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

No this is possible, 3 months between grading

orange to Green done a club level,
    Only theory

Green to Blue Nation Grading
    Win 2 fights by Ippon or Wazzari

Blue to Brown Nation Grading

Brown to Black Nation Grading
    Win 5 on the day by Ippon, batsugun automatic black after therory

That's 12 months to Complete Orange Belt to Black Belt Shodan. This is the way I did it too.

In fact the idea that being a black belt is the end of you Journey is nonsense. You only really start to learn at this stage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

How long between when he started judo and when he began the thirteen month journey?

Kimura wrote: »
    No this is possible, 3 months between grading

orange to Green done a club level,
    Only theory

Green to Blue Nation Grading

Blue to Brown Nation Grading

Brown to Black Nation Grading
    Win 5 on the day by Ippon, batsugun automatic black after therory

That's 12 months to Complete Orange Belt to Black Belt Shodan. This is the way I did it too.

In fact the idea that being a black belt is the end of you Journey is nonsense. You only really start to learn at this stage,

Thats astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

Thats astounding.

No Really, The question was can someone go from orange belt to black belt in a year and the answer is yes, by following the path above.

But what is not being taken into account is the experience of the person prior to being an orange belt, Some people may have trained as a child or teenager for years or even a year, never progressing up the belt ladder, and left the sport, then only to take it back up as an adult. In fact two years as a child is far more beneficial then two years as an adult. Children 9+ take learning movement and being throw etc far better then adults, maybe its a fear thing on the part of a adult.

When grading their movement and general technique will be far better then there peers at green and blue belt as adults,

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

took me 12 yrs guys
    cheers andy

Kimura wrote: »
    No Really

Honestly I believe you.

I know a lot of children who are exceptional judoka and who will grade rapidly to Shodan.

Forgive me I was thinking more in term's of the average adult entering the sport since thats the usual thing we deal with here ~ my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭crosstrainer1

How long between when he started judo and when he began the thirteen month journey?
    he never did anything before, but hes a big strong guy only 23 and has a passion for the sport. I just feel that the major judo associations change the fight rules all the time so your kind of gradings to suite the rules. I mean a good bjj or wrestler in a no holds barr grappling would im my opinion destroy a good judo player. i came from a mma back ground and in the first 3 months of training i was told more about what i could not do in competion than what i could do. Dont get me wrong its a great art but what is a judo black belt worth in 3 months compared to a bjj black belt which takes years. Is it better to be a white belt in bjj than a black belt in judo:rolleyes:

he never did anything before, but hes a big strong guy only 23 and has a passion for the sport. I just feel that the major judo associations change the fight rules all the time so your kind of gradings to suite the rules. I mean a good bjj or wrestler in a no holds barr grappling would im my opinion destroy a good judo player. i came from a mma back ground and in the first 3 months of training i was told more about what i could not do in competion than what i could do. Dont get me wrong its a great art but what is a judo black belt worth in 3 months compared to a bjj black belt which takes years. Is it better to be a white belt in bjj than a black belt in judo:rolleyes:

Excuse me while I go back in time, about ten years to the old IRMAC forum to deal with this one..

483742-flux_capacitor_jpeg_large.jpg

brb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Is it better to be a white belt in bjj than a black belt in judo:rolleyes:
    There's a philosoraptor joke in there somewhere, but I can't think how to phrase it just now.

Anyway, isn't everyone who hasn't graded in BJJ a white-belt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Who cares how long it takes someone to grade?
    You either have the skills appropriate to the belt or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

EnjoyChoke, I guess the dude just wanted to know the average time of how long it would take to get the appropriate skills for the belt. Which is a fairly valid question, but as it will vary so much from person to person and a lot on how much you train and how well you are taught, giving some figure as an answer might be kinda silly anyway.

As for BJJ black belts and judo black belts its kinda relevant to what you expect it to mean. I've never done bjj but from the sounds of it getting a black belt takes a long time and means you are fairly awesome. However in judo getting your black belt is probably more like your first step towards being a wicked player. So they're not really comparable.

Speaking of which I recently got my judo black belt, yahoo!

I think I've practiced for 9 years with two big breaks in between, got back into properly recently and went to a grading that came up, managed to throw everyone and that was that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Who cares how long it takes someone to grade?
    You either have the skills appropriate to the belt or you don't.

Exactly.

Moaning about people taking less time than average to get to a certain grade is a purely Western thing - I've never heard comments made about it in Japan (if anything, people will think less of you if you take longer than 3-4 years to get your BB).

Advertisement