Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spongers at atm machines

• 14-06-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

im sure im not alone here

isn't it against the law to beg at atm machines ???? if so why don't the police do something about these scroths

temple bar square is the worst , they sit there and sort of intimidate you , so i walk on by and try find an atm that isn't covered with junkies

also them do gooders who sit outside newsagents looking for money for homeless or whatever charity , they are just as bad , you feel like crap for not giving them money

yet the police go chasing people who drive in bus lanes or no valid parking tickets etc spineless *****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So who do you hate more the beggars or the Gardaí?

And do yeh do be feelin' horribles do ya? Ye, yeh yeh yeh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You should always request a receipt at an ATM when there's a begger there so you can drop in in their cup and walk off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

im sure im not alone here

isn't it against the law to beg at atm machines ???? if so why don't the police do something about these scroths

temple bar square is the worst , they sit there and sort of intimidate you , so i walk on by and try find an atm that isn't covered with junkies

also them do gooders who sit outside newsagents looking for money for homeless or whatever charity , they are just as bad , you feel like crap for not giving them money

yet the police go chasing people who drive in bus lanes or no valid parking tickets etc spineless *****

You are never alone in AH.
    Spare any change' Bud ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

mattjack wrote: »
    You are never alone in AH.
    Spare any change' Bud ?

oi off my patch... your atm is over there ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

In temple bar just use the atm in the centra. Usually use atms in shops as it is anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

smash wrote: »
    You should always request a receipt at an ATM when there's a begger there so you can drop in in their cup and walk off!

Ye to let them know how much cash you just took out and are carrying right now.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

tell em the machine only gives out fiddy notes and if they can change it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

They are watching how much you are drawing out of the ATM are they Irish Beggars or non Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Thank this post for: No Garda and No bus lanes and to park where ever the fcuk you like!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

normally, in a case like this, i take out as much as the ATM allows and count it very slowly in front of said beggar. the look on their face is priceless sometimes.

• Advertisement

caff wrote: »
    Ye to let them know how much cash you just took out and are carrying right now.................
    But they're usually to weak and malnourished (or drunk) to chase you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Why feel bad? I just ignore spongers and people collecting and it doesn't bother me nor do I feel bad.

I have a policy that I wont sign up or give money to anybody who stops me in the street or calls to the door. I have charities that I actively work with and contribute to so I am doing my bit (probably a lot more than most). If someone collecting thinks im an asshole for ignoring them, so be it.... a lot of them are on commission anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Never really thought it was that much of a big deal really, I've never looked for another atm just because there was a beggar sitting there :eek: no reason to move to another atm... unless you think the scary beggar might pull out a syringe and jab ya with it! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davet82 wrote: »
    Thank this post for: No Garda and No bus lanes and to park where ever the fcuk you like!

:confused:

...and ATMs fitted into the boot of every car.

I withdraw my cash and sing Mo' money Mo' problems by puff daddy and biggie smalls, the homeless love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So basically what you're saying is that the Gardai should focus on putting an end to the stuff that inconveniences you personally. The stuff that inconveniences other people isn't really important?

Spineless ***** he calls them.. while being intimidated by charity collectors.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    ...and ATMs fitted into the boot of every car.

now your talkin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A swift slap with the back of the hand sorts that out

RoboRat wrote: »
    Why feel bad? I just ignore spongers and people collecting and it doesn't bother me nor do I feel bad.

I have a policy that I wont sign up or give money to anybody who stops me in the street or calls to the door. I have charities that I actively work with and contribute to so I am doing my bit (probably a lot more than most). If someone collecting thinks im an asshole for ignoring them, so be it.... a lot of them are on commission anyhow!

OOOOHH well La Di Dah...

So basically what you're saying is that the Gardai should focus on putting an end to the stuff that inconveniences you personally. The stuff that inconveniences other people isn't really important?

thats a boards slap there if ever i seen one

well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

normally, in a case like this, i take out as much as the ATM allows and count it very slowly in front of said beggar. the look on their face is priceless sometimes.

I wonder what the look on yr face would be like if some fecker snached yr cash and ran off.............................

I must dig out that tshirt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

charity collectors annoy me , dont intimidate me as much

junkies at atm's can easily stick something in you

charity collectors annoy me , dont intimidate me as much

junkies at atm's can easily stick something in you

Their ATM card ?

OOOOHH well La Di Dah...

raising over 150k for a charity would be considered more than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I sometimes really wonder what's wrong with so many people here.
    Yes, the beggars annoy me and make me feel uncomfortable when I take out money, but I usually just ignore them. They are already at the bottom of society, so why do several people on this board think it's funny or even OK to rub it in how much better off they are. That is just cruel...hope you'll never end up like that due to bad luck and people treat you like that.

raising over 150k for a charity would be considered more than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Chuggers are the worst. The homeless wont stop you they will.
    Also complain to the bank about the people sitting at the atm because they can have them removed.

I'm not rich, far from it actually and I can't see how raising money for charity could make you think that I am?!

You seem to have taken exception to my saying 'probably more than most'. I only added that in because this being boards, people would have pulled me up about saying 'I do my bit for charity' and slated me because it's not enough to just do your bit.

• Advertisement

I sometimes really wonder what's wrong with so many people here.
    Yes, the beggars annoy me and make me feel uncomfortable when I take out money, but I usually just ignore them. They are already at the bottom of society, so why do several people on this board think it's funny or even OK to rub it in how much better off they are. That is just cruel...hope you'll never end up like that due to bad luck and people treat you like that.
    You do realise that most of what's said on AH is tongue in cheek don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

OP

some one of them american cartoon sitcom things was on last night ..

Homeless guy lying on the ground with a cup in his hand next to an ATM - guy goes up to an ATM and puts his hand near homeless guys cup...shakes his hand (pretending to put stuff in).

Homeless guy says "you didn't put anything in"

and the reply ...... "I did, I put in some hope ! ... "

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I'm very loth to give money - for obvious reasons. I have bought people food once or twice. (I've also had people I've offered food tell me they only wanted money so I've given them short shrift.)
    Another time, I was waiting for a bus and a guy came begging along the queue. He looked really hungry so I dug in the bag (I knew I had some food left from my lunch) and pulled out a.....banana - which I gave him. He had the good grace to say thanks but I had thought I might have a sandwich in there.

I'm not rich, far from it actually and I can't see how raising money for charity could make you think that I am?!

You seem to have taken exception to my saying 'probably more than most'. I only added that in because this being boards, people would have pulled me up about saying 'I do my bit for charity' and slated me because it's not enough to just do your bit.
    smash wrote: »
    You do realise that most of what's said on AH is tongue in cheek don't you?

Read Mr Smash's post ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Automated Teller Machine machines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you type in a PIN number? I don't see them much over here, maybe gardai here moves them on.
    This has been discussed before but I was too lazy to search it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I live in Waterford and from where I live to the centre of the city is just under 5 minutes walk. This morning I passed 4 beggars on a route that is right in the middle of all tourist traffic in the city. I can only imagine what goes on in cities the size of Dublin on a normal day but if Waterford is that bad, f**k! I always have the Mp3 player blasting in my ears so I'm oblivious to what they're asking and just ignore them. The beggars won't attempt to beg at ATM's here. God help them if they did! and I think they know that.

I live in Waterford and from where I live to the centre of the city is just under 5 minutes walk. This morning I passed 4 beggars on a route that is right in the middle of all tourist traffic in the city. I can only imagine what goes on in cities the size of Dublin on a normal day but if Waterford is that bad, f**k! I always have the Mp3 player blasting in my ears so I'm oblivious to what they're asking and just ignore them. The beggars won't attempt to beg at ATM's here. God help them if they did! and I think they know that.

Our four beggars are in Waterford on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

That face kicker chap had a good solution to this problem.....cant seem to put my finger on what it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

It is illegal to beg near a commercial premises. Business owners who see beggars outside their premises should ring the cops and they will remove them.

Meanwhile in the real world;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Saw a Roma using her kids to beg (she was telling people the kids were hungry) people were giving her money. I watched for a while as she pulled out a 'blackberry'
    I rang the gards and told them she was blocking the footpath and that I was concerned the children were hungry.

Its all a big scam, they are rife in England and get away with it because they have the race card to protect them.

Just remember people when you give to such likes, think of the Mansions they have back in Romania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What about the othertimes? Is that when you get mugged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

fullstop wrote: »
    Automated Teller Machine machines?

Indeed, the trailing machine seeems somewhat superfluous given that M in ATM stands for Machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Does anyone know the guy without shoes that does be around dublin city centre?

Hes not irish, looks romanian...

He never wears shoes, the time of the snow I walked past, and he was sitting on the ground in a ball crying and shaking. didnt have any money on me just my laser card. Went into a shop and bought him those fluffy socks, runners, food and a cup of tea.

I walked home in tears, and Im made of stone and never cry!! I told my mum and she called me a fcuking eejit, he does that all the time, he must have 100 pairs of shoes by now, or loads of money from selling them.

Low and behold, a few weeks later I see him eating in a lovely restaurant wearing lovely clothes, and then get into a car! Then saw him again begging on the street!!!!

I wanted to strangle him. Anyone Ive asked says, Oh yeah the no shoes scammer....see him all the time. Hes minted.

Disgusted.

Advertisement