Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science of Discworld event at the Science Gallery, with Terry Pratchett and more

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD - WITH TERRY PRATCHETT, IAN STEWART AND JACK COHEN

Thursday June 28, 2012 - http://sciencegallery.com/events/2012/06/science-discworld-terry-pratchett-ian-stewart-and-jack-cohen

To celebrate the lesser known festival Ankh-Morpork* City of Science 2012, Science Gallery will host a very special event with the author of the iconic Discworld series, Terry Pratchett. Joining him will be the co-authors of The Science of Discworld series, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. The Science of Discworld series spans three books so far, each incorporating fictional stories from Pratchett's Discworld universe - which has a very different set of natural rules than our own - with serious scientific discussion.

Join us for a rare opportunity to discuss the origins of the universe and the beginnings of life (as well as its inevitable evolution) - all from a Discworld perspective - with the creator of Discworld and the scientists who brought it closer it to our reality. There will be a panel discussion with the authors, followed by a Q&A session where you will get to ask them about the physics of Unseen University, the evolution of The Librarian, and how this satirical fantasy universe has inspired three books on science.

AMAZING.

Comments

A friend posted this up on their Facebook page and, I must admit, I almost cried with joy at the fact that Pratchett is going to be there.

Tickets bought and I will most certainly be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I just found my birthday present!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I'd like to get to this, but I'll be working. I'm currently reading Science of Discworld III, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

That's it booking next Thursday off work, this is a must!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Already sold out! I am now an unhappy camper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Might be worth noting that there seem to be inconsistencies between computers and some smartphones regarding the date. My sister had almost convinced me this was on the 27th because that's what's showing up on her phone. she's checked some other peoples' phones and got the same thing. So, uh, make sure you're not a day early?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Giddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

So a long shot I know - but if anyone here is unfortunate enough to not be able to attend, I'd be very eager to relieve them of their tickets.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just saw this now.

Woe is me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That was rather a good laugh. Almost worth the crippling sinus infection I always get from having to visit Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

just saw this now :( disgusted I missed it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well pox that anyway, I was just thinking how I would never get to see the great man yesterday and I read this, buggerit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Junoesque

Oh no! I wish I'd seen this earlier. It wasn't advertised enough, the venue wasn't big enough and it didn't last long enough. Hope they do another.

Advertisement