Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Show Calf

• 14-06-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have a calf that has very good show potential. It was born last september and has been on adlib creep since. It has good size for its age however i feel it needs a lot more condition. I have seen the shaking fat calves at the shows. So.. How do i get this sort of condition onto calves.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

wexf0rd wrote: »
    I have a calf that has very good show potential. It was born last september and has been on adlib creep since. It has good size for its age however i feel it needs a lot more condition. I have seen the shaking fat calves at the shows. So.. How do i get this sort of condition onto calves.
    Thanks in advance

From what I've shown in the past Christie's is your best bet for show products for 'beautification'
    Train him/her to halter asap so they're used of it and not roaring in the ring.
    Condition, I used a mix of growvite and premia crunch. But make sure to wean them onto it or scour occurs.
    And I used to use ivy too. They love the taste and the nutrients in it puts up a sheen on coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

christies are not doing animal products anymore unfortunately. Never heard the tip about ivy. Must try it.

Show calves can be overdone too and judges at shows will not like this. If the animal is not naturally a good animal then there is little point fattening him for a show.

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    wexf0rd wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

From what I've shown in the past Christie's is your best bet for show products for 'beautification'
    Train him/her to halter asap so they're used of it and not roaring in the ring.
    Condition, I used a mix of growvite and premia crunch. But make sure to wean them onto it or scour occurs.
    And I used to use ivy too. They love the taste and the nutrients in it puts up a sheen on coats.

Advertisement