Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping at Volvo Ocean Race

Options
  • 14-06-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Dunno if it's been asked already but does anyone out there know if additional temporary campsites (fields) available in Galway City / Salthill area for Volvo Ocean race week?...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I stand to be corrected but I don't think so mate.
    As far as I know there wasn't any extra provision for campers last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

megafan wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been asked already but does anyone out there know if additional temporary campsites (fields) available in Galway City / Salthill area for Volvo Ocean race week?...

Try occupy volvo ocean race on facebook, looks like they are gonna try again, make sure your views are compatible though or they wont have you!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a fair few campsites in Salthill anyway: would you really get stuck for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Thanks all for response.... & would expect campsite in Salthill hard to get into if weather good! Suppose "Occupy Ocean Race" best option.... after all while some are jollying around the seas some in Africa are starving... (will that get me in?:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭squonk

Try occupy volvo ocean race on facebook, looks like they are gonna try again, make sure your views are compatible though or they wont have you!! :rolleyes:

I hope the gardai kick their arses out of the place. We had enough of their bull**** for 7 months in the square. If they try again they're just not getting the joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on track folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the salthill campsite is just at the end of the prom - its only a very short (and beautiful) walk. You can always bus it if the rain is pouring - its a lovely area right on the water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

the salthill campsite is just at the end of the prom - its only a very short (and beautiful) walk. You can always bus it if the rain is pouring - its a lovely area right on the water.

It's about 45 minutes along a dog poo strewn throughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's about 45 minutes along a dog poo strewn throughfare.

depends on how slow you are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Is the campsite in Ballyloughane still open. Would have great views over the bay and could walk into Eyre Square over the railway bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

A cheap alternative to camping is Gleann na Ri in Renmore .I just booked a 4 bed apartment for 5 nights for 235 euro. They don't seem to have increased for this week unlike other places in town . If 4 share works out at 47 for 5 nights each or 9.50 each a night. Thought it was great value !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is the campsite in Ballyloughane still open. Would have great views over the bay and could walk into Eyre Square over the railway bridge.

Wouldn't recommend it walking the railway line at night tho, and not because of the trains either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fugros

Does anyone know if there there is anywhere nearby the race village (< 1 mile-ish) to camp for the event?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is one about 45 minutes walk west, longer if there is a westerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fugros

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is one about 45 minutes walk west, longer if there is a westerly wind.

Might be a good last resort so haha!

Sure isn't there always a westerly gale in Galway..? :P

Advertisement