Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing ucd connect e-mail

Options
  • 14-06-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any luck in importing e-mail from their ucd connect gmail account (to another gmail account)?

I'm fine with either importing all emails in the account over to the other account in one go (my preferred option), or have all incoming mail be also sent to the other gmail account (I have already set this up but doesn't seem to be doing anything :confused:)

My reason for asking this is, as you know, we lose access to this account when/if (:D) we are no longer students - and there is lots of useful stuff in my account that I don't want to have to transfer manually. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,986 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm setting up the Thunderbird mail client for this. Gmail has support for a protocol called IMAP, which doesn't just fetch mail, but gives the client access to all mail folders - and UCD Connect is basically Gmail. I have another Gmail account already set up in Thunderbird, so I'm trying the following:
    - in UCD Connect Mail, go to Settings, Forwarding and POP/IMAP
    - select Enable IMAP and change any other settings you want. Say Save Changes
    - in Thunderbird, open Edit / Account Setting, and select Account Actions and Add Mail Account
    - enter my name, UCD Connect email address and password
    - Thunderbird found the correct details in its database: leave IMAP (remote folders) selected and say Create Account.

Repeat the process for your other Gmail account, if you haven't already. It might take a minute or two to download all the folder information, after which you should be able to see all your Gmail and UCD Connect mail in their folders. I found it helpful to close and restart Thunderbird before it all worked properly.

Now you can move mails around between your accounts as you like, or move them to local folders on your computer. There's a folder called All Mail which really does contain all my mail - even mails which I had deleted before. Gmail doesn't actually delete mail, it moves it to a Bin folder.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Update: I've found a "feature" in Gmail that may cause some confusion. Gmail doesn't store mail in Folders as such, but it uses Tags, and a message may have more than one tag. But IMAP only sees Folders, so a when you look at your mail using a mail client (Thunderbird, Outlook, whatever), the same messages appear in multiple "folders".

The result is: I moved folders full of mail off UCD Connect mail to local folders, and so I was getting duplication of mails. There's a "Remove Duplicates" plugin for Thunderbird that was able to find and delete the duplicates for me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hmm... Thunderbird is giving me some trouble...
    When it asks for Username and password I'm not terribly sure what to put.

Fwiw I've put everything as username... my connect email address, my Student number, and a couple of other worthy contenders. Of course, I remember how I log in via gmail... e-mail address and absolutely nothing in the password area (which triggers a redirect whereupon it's the UCD connect name and password that gains access).

This approach produces the best result with Thunderbird... insofar that it doesn't complain. However, it essentially freezes at this point. :(

I can't really google this question as gmail login works so totally differently under UCD than it does in general...

See here for some pointers: the username is your full ucdconnect.ie address.
    You probably need to follow the procedure on that page, to set a password to allow access from programs. I did that last year and forgot about it, so that could be your problem:
    What if I’m using an application like Outlook to access my email?

Note: Before configuring the Google Mail account you need to do two things:
    1: Set a password in Google via UCD Connect. Click on the mail icon in Connect, click on your email address at the top right of the page > Account Settings > Changing your password. You'll be asked to verify your Connect password. You can then set a password (or match it your Connect one) and click 'Update Google Apps password'
    2. You also need to enable IMAP in the email. In Mail, click the Options (cog) icon at the top-right of the page > Mail Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > Enable IMAP

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roryokeeffe100

Thanks, 'bnt' :-)...using thunderbird to import as opposed to gmail solved my problems, which were similar to 'OneOfThemStumbled's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I just forward my UCD Mail to my regular Gmail. I THINK I set it up using the IMAP settings, this was before UCD connect mail switched to Gmail though.

Advertisement