Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nice Interview with Billy Stickland (INPHO) about his life as a Sports Photographer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

pity they didn't ask why he doesn't allow freelancers into Croke park - he has insisted that the media office in Croker restricts access to those working directly for newspapers only these people are allowed into Croker - for all-Ireland finals.

or why they (INPHO) insist that their photographers should get priority ahead of a freelancer ? or why INPHO photographers get different access to the ordinary photographer.

Yes .... he is protecting his "patch" but at the expense of the freelancer - meaning only the big agencies get into the right position and only they get access to the memorable images.

if we were all allowed I'm sure we could get the same or even better images.

I had the opportunity a good few years ago to work for billy or ray (sportsfile) .... Ray was a better conversationalist, glad I chose neither !! (before someone throws out a Jealous/bitter much comment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The days of the freelancer started counting down as soon as both agencies were formed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Corkbah wrote: »
    pity they didn't ask why he doesn't allow freelancers into Croke park - he has insisted that the media office in Croker restricts access to those working directly for newspapers only these people are allowed into Croker - for all-Ireland finals.

or why they (INPHO) insist that their photographers should get priority ahead of a freelancer ? or why INPHO photographers get different access to the ordinary photographer.

Yes .... he is protecting his "patch" but at the expense of the freelancer - meaning only the big agencies get into the right position and only they get access to the memorable images.

if we were all allowed I'm sure we could get the same or even better images.

I had the opportunity a good few years ago to work for billy or ray (sportsfile) .... Ray was a better conversationalist, glad I chose neither !! (before someone throws out a Jealous/bitter much comment)

Actually I think you might find that he doesn't insist that the media office in Croker restricts access to those working directly for newspapers only these people are allowed into Croker - for all-Ireland finals. I spoke to him about the lack of access and he didn't understand why they were so strict at times. I suspect that its Sportsfile that would have a lot more pull there. Anyway I imagine that the GAA have their own agenda and procedures with regard to the media.

It makes perfect sense to let agency or staff photographers in ahead of freelancers. Not much point of having a stadium of freelancers, some of whom can send live, to papers that already have contracts with the agencies at the expense of the agency photographers. It basically comes down to those who will sell pics as opposed to those who might possibly sell pics if the agencies feck up (which rarely happens).

There are good and bad positions but not necessarily right and wrong positions. If you read the story above Stickland says the ones he likes best are the ones where no one else was in the same position. That’s very different to having the 'best' position.
    Freelancers regularly get access to capturing memorable images and do actually capture memorable images. They are not always seen by a lot of people.
    Just because you are freelancer and you get great pics doesn't mean you will get anything near the papers. Even having the best seat in the house can make little difference as the agencies stuff usually gets used first. In reality its not always the best pictures that get used anyway.
    You will also find that they being the 2 main agencies are only right to request better possessions. Most of these things are decided by media coverage in Europe/worldwide i.e. how wide you cast your net in terms of the service you provide.
    Even the 2 main agencies over here are small fish in a big pond when it comes to the world stage. Just try and get a decent position for the 100m mens final in London this year. You'll be made to feel just how small you actually are in terms of where your pictures are going.
    Anyway I've rarely seen positions marked as its usually big games. Not really an issue for the smaller stuff.
    Not unusual for the two main agencies to get different access – for example Sportsfile are official GAA and Leinster photographers whereas Inpho are official IRFU and Munster photographers.

If we were all allowed in then we might all get as good or even better images. But its more likely that we would get in each others way and in some cases no one gets a 'memorable' image. Believe me it happens regularly.

As Borderfox says its been getting harder for a long time and that’s sure to continue. Its always interesting hear about someone's thoughts on their career.

Just as a final note if you think that these two guys have so much control over sporting events in Ireland would you not be better served by trying to sweeten them up as opposed to having a go at them? After all these guys are responsible for many of the 'memorable' images we care to remember…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Corkbah wrote: »

I'm surprised you don't know that Sportsfile are the official GAA photographers, and so the ones most likely to have influence on who can and can't get access to Croke Park. :rolleyes:

In any event, there is always some priority or pecking order. At international events, that normally is large agencies, smaller agencies, national papers, local papers and then freelance. So, you have Getty AP, AFP, PA, Inpho, Sportsfile, and then the papers. Why?? Because usually the agencies have contracts with the organisations and the papers and have the highest probability of getting images out and used. It's about publicity. The agencies are the ones who will get the images to the papers, and who the papers are most likely to print.

I've shot any number of games, big and small. I have never shot GAA in Croke Park (have never applied). I have worked as a freelance sports photographer, worked directly for an agency, and even did a job or two for Inpho. I was also approached by Sportsfile before to do jobs for them, but turned it down. But, as a freelance photographer, I have less chance of getting my images printed, unless I get an exceptional image that an agency doesn't get.

I understand, and respect the pecking order.

In fact, last week, at the Olympic Torch arrival in Howth, I was the one with the special access all areas pass. Sportsfile, as the official Olympic Council of Ireland photographers also had special access. All the rest of the media (PA, Getty, AP, AFP, Irish Times, Independent, Examiner, etc) had photographers in the press pit. I got some very different images to what they got, and thankfully some of my images were used.

Anyone, at any event, can get memorible images. But, getting them used is the hardest part. That's not the fault of the agency.

I don't blame Inpho and Sportsfile for trying to protect their business, because, at the end of the day, it's not personal, it's just business. It's not purely about getting the best image, but it's about getting paid to get that image, and making a living from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

most of the papers have contracts with the agencies so they will use whatever they send them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement