Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant Coffee - Beware of Changes in Jar Sizes

Options
  • 14-06-2012 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Shopping for instant coffee has now become just a little more complicated.

Douwe Egberts new coffees, dark roast & pure gold, look like bargains when compared to the Nescafes, Maxwell Houses, etc. but on close examination the jars only contain 190gm of coffee as against their rivals 200gm.

With a rake of new sizes (190gm, 150gm refills, 80gm & 60gm "premium" instants) I find I now need to revert to the price/kilo in tiny writing of the shelf stickers to find bargains.

A challenge for Tescos / Dunnes / etc. Print a summary chart on the tea / coffee aisle that shows brand-name, variety and price/kg for all the products stocked and don't have special offer coffee stuck on the end-aisle of the cat-food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It seems to be happening with more and more items. I read a newspaper article about it last weekend.

Washing Powder, oranges juice and jarred sauces were some of the items they mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

In an ever difficult economy and increased costs, some businesses are choosing to reduce the contents rather than increase price.

Nothing wrong with it, they're not hiding the fact.

I don't see how this is a consumer issue, per say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

RangeR wrote: »
    ... Nothing wrong with it, they're not hiding the fact...
    In your opinion, my opinion differs. They haven't taken out full-page newspaper ads via their retailers either, unlike when they and others drone on about their "special offers" and "reduced prices" and "enhanced taste / features".
    "Douwe Egberts Special!
    This is not a once-off!!!
    5% reduction in jar contents!
    Get less coffee for your money!
    Visit Tescos & Dunnes more often & Thank Douwe Egberts!"
    A little balance would be nice IMHO.
    ... I don't see how this is a consumer issue, per say.
    So would "Motors" be more appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

mathepac wrote: »

A challenge for Tescos / Dunnes / etc. Print a summary chart on the tea / coffee aisle that shows brand-name, variety and price/kg for all the products stocked and don't have special offer coffee stuck on the end-aisle of the cat-food.

That sounds like something superquinn would have been more than happy to do, but not sure now since musgraves bought them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

In an ever difficult economy and increased costs, some businesses are choosing to reduce the contents rather than increase price.

This seems to be a trend on this section of boards. Someone makes a complaint or brings up an issue and someone else comes along and says it's not a consumer issue.

Surely if a decision or action by a company has an impact on a consumer it's a consumer issue.

• Advertisement

Would you prefer that the company increase prices instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Yes I would, but in doing so people may notice and choose a less expensive brand, hence why it is indeed being hidden.

It's all about choice and if you're not informed then you don't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree - hardly a consumer issue and it has been going on for decades. Walkers crisps were infamous for it right through the 90s. It happens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ill keep a look out for changes in sizes to my usual coffee brand which is kenco or nescafe azeria(azeria only has 33 servings in it,and it is for 3 euros in dunnes hope it doesnt go any lower as there is feck all in it to begin with)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

my local Dunnes has a price per kilo on every item so its very obvious if the large size of anything is really cheaper than the smaller size - Bisto, cornflakes and weetabix are consistantly cheaper to buy the smallest sizes.

• Advertisement

I agree - hardly a consumer issue ...
    If it's not a consumer issue, what is it? "De ecomony" maybe?

Why is it a problem to highlight where shoppers (consumers) are getting poor value as the producers and sellers won't tell us?
    ... and it has been going on for decades. Walkers crisps were infamous for it right through the 90s. It happens!
    How does that make it acceptable. Besides I don't eat crisps but I do drink (cheap preferably) coffee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its true the sizes in coffee haven't changed in 4 years, but it goes to show how much reducing 10g per pack must save them, to redesign a different size jar / label, supermarket to do a new plannagram etc.

FYI, spirits are at it too, some of the 700ml bottles are being reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Sorry, but instant coffee is pure muck. Even if it was free, I wouldn't take it. Change over to freshly brewed, drink less of it, but enjoy the wonderful taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I would call it sharp practice.
    I assumed that the '€' looking symbol told you that it was an agreed amount like 1LB is 453g

sandin wrote: »
    Sorry, but instant coffee is pure muck. Even if it was free, I wouldn't take it. ...
    Which is a matter of taste and which is clearly not a consumer issue.

What's the relevance to the topic under discussion?

I note RangeR's sudden switch from instant to ground which strikes me as amazingly opportunistic with no prior preference expressed.

He'll now post something truly aaahmaaazing and you'll thank him/her.

I'm so aaahmaaazing and demand to be thanked

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I also look at the price per kg or litre beneath the actual price, most large shops do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

sandin wrote: »
    Sorry, but instant coffee is pure muck. Even if it was free, I wouldn't take it. Change over to freshly brewed, drink less of it, but enjoy the wonderful taste.

Switched over to Aldi (French) Breakfast Roast, quite probably cheaper for us, we would average a large jar of Nescafe a week, with plenty of kettle boilings. Now we just pour from a morning brewed percolator (switched off after brewing).

Just to say, jars are getting smaller, prices are not static, they seem to be increasing, you need a keen eye on the price per kilo to see you're not having the piss taken out of you. Don't get me started on paying more for a 'recyclable' pack.

No loss to us, delighted to leave the granulated behind. Much easier on the pocket.. and the stomach too.

I note RangeR's sudden switch from instant to ground which strikes me as amazingly opportunistic with no prior preference expressed.

Every morning, Monday through Friday, I come into work. I work hard. My job demands it. When I get in, I make a "cuppa" coffee. At lunch time, I make another cup. It's a lovely cup, it's Bewley's Gold Roast Fresh Ground. It really is quite nice. Not the nicest but a very close Third [on the Irish Market]. I do prefer Java Republic ground coffee but that's difficult to locate in the area I frequent. The top coffee for me, in Ireland would be Illy. However, Bewley's ground wipes the floor with ANY instant. Hands down.

The only instant that I really like, and sort of comes close to ground, is Cart Noir. That is exceptional coffee.

When I say, I make a cup. I make a mug AND a flask. The mug gives me the 30 minute kick. I then use the flask to sip and enjoy the remaining coffee until lunch time.

This is my kit. You may notice that the Bewley's coffee is only grade 3. I much prefer the stronger grade 5 but the shop was out for a week or two. I won't dream of touching the instant in the office. I'd much prefer my backup. Earl Gray tea. Gorgeous.

Now, is that "aaahmaaazing" to get some thanks?

coffee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Which is a matter of taste and which is clearly not a consumer issue.

What's the relevance to the topic under discussion?

In a way its a matter of taste - but how come its really only Ireland & UK that has a huge selection of instant coffee?

Relevance - I find I will enjoy a good cup of coffee, but I drink it less often. Thus I find it is probably cheaper in the long run and a lot more enjoyable, thus getting better value. - Or put it another way, if a shop served me instant and tried to charge for it, I'd walk out at the insult.

On a more serious note - coffee is a traded commodity and prices increases/decreases depending on crop and quality of crop. Robusta, which is the main bean for instant sold at approx 70c (US) per lb in early 2010 and then roase to $1.25 in late 2011 and is currently at $1.12. If you add in currency effect with the dollar at $1.25/€1, it is currently trading at a 5 year high.

However most fo the costs associated with instant coffee are packaging/advertising/roasting, so a 70% increase in the commodity market would not lead to a 70% increase in retail pricing, but the increase would have been substantial enough over the past year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - stick to the topic at hand please. If you want to discuss the merits of coffee, then you can visit the Coffee & Tea forum.

dudara

This post just illustrates how you always need to watch pricing. There is nothing wrong with what the manufacturers do or the prices that the retailers set. It's up to us, the consumers, to make sure we're getting the best value for our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

But less coffee for the same money IS increasing the price :rolleyes:

Pretty aaahmaaazing that you don't realize this. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this sort of think is happening a lot these days, chocolate manufacturers have been at it for years (remember the Roses tin debacle over Christmas).
    Also one of the more recent offenders is Innocent (Smoothies & Juices), they reduced the carton sizes from 1 litre to 900ml which, if you ask me is sneaky and worse than a price increase. Innocent my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

It's a very common thing in America, where companies like Nestlé and Nabisco started it. Google for "the shrink ray" if you want to read more, there are websites which track the items which have been, um, shrinkrayacated!

Advertisement