Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mortgage interest review

Options
  • 14-06-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi, i purchased a house in dublin back in 2006 with a friend of mine, after living in the property for a number of years my job brought me to the west of ireland. we have been recieving mortgage relief since the we moved in to the house.

today i recieved a bill in the post from the revenue office stating we owe them 1500 euro.i foolishly attempted to claim rent allowence in the house i am renting. i recieved a very friendlycall from a lady in the revenue off stating that i was not entitled to claim both and i apoligised.

a week later around xmas time i recieved a bill from the revenue stating the money i owed would be deducted from my wages until all money i owed had been paid. so since early this year an extra 20 euro has been taken from my wages. no problem until today i now owe 1500 euro. the letter i recieved states i cannot claim mortgage intrest relief if i am no longer residing in the house, i understand that but should i then be entitled to claim back tax on my rent?

im not sure what im trying to ask here but should i just find the money and pay them back or is the 20 a euro a week they are taking from my wages enough to keep them from knocking on my door?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

So you are still paying €20 a week? If so, just contact them and tell them so. I presume MIR has been stopped, so more debt is not poling up.

Make sure your dealings with the house are above board if you are renting it, as they have now got the heads up.

Yes you can claim rent relief. But just make sure all your affairs are in order first!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

yes still paying the 2o euro, im a registered landlord and all that aswell so i think everything is above board?is there something i may be missing?

Advertisement