Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unionist compares homosexuality to bestiality

• 14-06-2012 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

The Ulster Unionist Party has been having a fairly torrid time of it for the past decade and a half, but now they've had to confirm that grouping homosexuality with bestiality is not their policy.

Ken Maginnis is probably a fine, upstanding member of the northern Unionist community, but someone should probably make him keep his mouth firmly shut when it comes to sexuality.

Yesterday he spewed his hatred-ridden beliefs about homosexuality on the north's most popular radio talk show (basically our version of Liveline).

He told the host, Stephen Nolan, that gay marriage was deviant because it was unnatural. He thinks society should not: "have imposed on it something that is unnatural".

"This is really based upon sexual practice," he said. "Does that mean that every deviant practice has to be accommodated? Will the next thing be that we legislate for some sort of bestiality?"

Nolan then obviously asked the former MP whether he was equating being gay with having sex with animals. He responded: "I am saying it is a rung on the ladder."

The UUP's new leader quickly came out to distance himself and the party from Maginnis's homophobic views. "[He] was speaking in a personal capacity without our knowledge or permission, and his comments do not reflect Ulster Unionist Party policy," a statement from the party read.

That's clear then, the UUP don't hate gay people... but some of their members do!

Full story here

In this day and age, any political party member with those sort of views should be kicked out and beaten in my opinion.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

why are we even suprised they are unionists..everything is beasteality unless its not wearing an orange sash if it is then it gets a free pass..
    there were gays in the uvf..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He told the host, Stephen Nolan, that gay marriage was deviant because it was unnatural. He thinks society should not: "have imposed on it something that is unnatural".
    If anything unnatural it's marriage, I don't see any other living creature getting married but there are plenty of cases of homosexuality in other animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ScumLord wrote: »
    If anything unnatural it's marriage, I don't see any other living creature getting married but there are plenty of cases of homosexuality in other animals.

There are also plenty of cases of life-long and otherwise longterm monogamy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

smash wrote: »
    Full story here

In this day and age, any political party member with those sort of views should be kicked out and beaten in my opinion.

You think anyone with odd opinions should be beaten?

prinz wrote: »
    There are also plenty of cases of life-long and otherwise longterm monogamy too.
    There are plenty of animals living in sin, it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You consider that as just being an odd opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

the man is a dick
    and an ex politican so prob loves himself
    effectivly he loves dick

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Unionist? Homosexuality compared to bestiality?

This'll go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Pherekydes wrote: »

~homophobe spotted~

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's ok because they have no souls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Theres a time and a place for everything. Is it not unnatural that a single Island that is Ireland should have its Northern soul occupied by a what is in effect a foreign country? I wouldn't pay much attention to the mutterings of an individual such as this! Iggnorance is obviously second nature to him, and thats coming from a Gay man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This'll go well.
    At least he wasn't talking about unemployed homosexual catholics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I actually feel a little uneasy when people start anthropomorphising animal sexual behaviour to argue in favour of same in humans.

Animals also commit rape, infanticide, etc. They cannot be judged however, on human moral standards.

There are plenty of reasons why homosexuality and gay marriage should be acceptable. Animal sexual behaviour is not one of them.

that's not what Disney would have me believe. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Blown out of proportion by some blogger on some "man site".
    The UUP's new leader quickly came out to distance himself and the party from Maginnis's homophobic views. "[He] was speaking in a personal capacity without our knowledge or permission, and his comments do not reflect Ulster Unionist Party policy," a statement from the party read.
    Unionists are very into their church stuff and opposing gay marriage isn't wild or crazy by any means.
    "Does that mean that every deviant practice has to be accommodated? Will the next thing be that we legislate for some sort of bestiality?"
    How someone would think this sentence equates gayness with loving animal sex is way ott.
    He was simply making a point that both are natural, but gayness is less unnatural than donkey love.

I don't for a second agree but then these old geezers come up with so much toss it's hard to keep track really.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I actually feel a little uneasy when people start anthropomorphising animal sexual behaviour to argue in favour of same in humans.

Animals also commit rape, infanticide, etc. They cannot be judged however, on human moral standards.

There are plenty of reasons why homosexuality and gay marriage should be acceptable. Animal sexual behaviour is not one of them.
    Humans are animals, we do very little that other animals don't do in some way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

why are we even suprised they are unionists..everything is beasteality unless its not wearing an orange sash if it is then it gets a free pass..
    there were gays in the uvf..

Ken Maginnis was not in the Orange Order. Just one of two UUP MPs not to have been.

But ask most men in their 70s what they think of homosexuality and I don't think you will get a very enlightened opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I believe this radio interview is in response to the news that gays have re-arranged the letters of Ken Maginnis's name to come up with Mingin' Snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

biko wrote: »
    Blown out of proportion by some blogger on some "man site".

Unionists are very into their church stuff and opposing gay marriage isn't wild or crazy by any means.

How someone would think this sentence equates gayness with loving animal sex is way ott.
    He was simply making a point that both are natural, but gayness is less unnatural than donkey love.

I don't for a second agree but then these old geezers come up with so much toss it's hard to keep track really.

I listened to the radio interview.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01js1l8/The_Nolan_Show_13_06_2012/
    He stated that that bestiality was a "rung on the same ladder" as homosexuality. He also stated that if he had a gay neighbour he would worry about local children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

All dogs go to heaven and you fucking know it!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm confused.

How is his political opinion relevant here?

Humans are animals, we do very little that other animals don't do in some way or another.
    Eat, sleep and procreate - That's it, and even within those there are vast differences, herbivores and carnivores etc. There may be overlaps in behaviour with other species but you can't cherry-pick those which suit your own morals.

In arguing that homosexuality is 'ok' because it is observed in other animals you are in effect giving credibility to loons like Maginnis.

Eat, sleep and procreate - That's it,
    There are huge overlaps, not just with the other great apes but if you go outside that group you'll see humans showing behaviour from all sort of animals. All animals, especially mammals have more in common than they do differences.

you can't cherry-pick those which suit your own morals.
    I'm not, humans are just another animal, despite our technology we're still based on the basic mammalian design.
    In arguing that homosexuality is 'ok' because it is observed in other animals you are in effect giving credibility to loons like Maginnis.
    I'm not arguing anything about homosexuality I'm just saying it happens in many different species, it's as normal as anything else that happens in nature.

I'm not, humans are just another animal, despite our technology we're still based on the basic mammalian design.
    Basic mammalian design - we give birth to live young (few special exceptions) and suckle our young. Outside of that there are vast differences. By picking those species which show evidence of homosexual behaviour you are cherry-picking. Would it make homosexuality immoral if no others animals behaved in this way?
    I'm not arguing anything about homosexuality I'm just saying it happens in many different species, it's as normal as anything else that happens in nature.
    Yes, and you're picking out the species that back-up your view. I could make the counterargument that homosexuality is NOT observed in many species. Does that help any argument about HUMAN sexual behaviour? No
    Infanticide is also commonly observed in many animal species, even in those which homosexual-type behaviour is seen. Would you argue that infanticide is a 'normal human' behaviour?

Also homosexual behaviour in other animals does not always correspond to same in humans. Sexual behaviour may be related to group dynamics and other factors, and not necessarily to do with human concepts such as 'love' and sexual preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Unionist homophobia is nothing new

Basic mammalian design - we give birth to live young (few special exceptions) and suckle our young. Outside of that there are vast differences.
    We didn't just pluck our behaviour out of thin air. You can see many similarities with the group dynamics between us and the rest of the great apes. We have courting behaviour that while it's not exactly the same is carried out in a similar manor, bringing gifts to females is common even in birds. We have preferred feeding habits that we have yet to shake like eating in groups as chimps do. We're territorial. Insects farm. Pack animals try to care for their sick, they have baby sitters and child care is very high on the agenda. All young animals play.
    By picking those species which show evidence of homosexual behaviour you are cherry-picking. Would it make homosexuality immoral if no others animals behaved in this way?
    I never mentioned any species in particular. There seems to be some problem where you somehow have added complete sentences to my argument that I never even thought of.

Humans are animals, all animals are as different as they are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

But ask most men in their 70s what they think of homosexuality and I don't think you will get a very enlightened opinion.

Ageism alert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet he wouldn't say no to an Orange-utan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is anyone really suprised by this? Unionism and homophobia and all kinds of other bigotry go hand in hand.

Super-hypocrite Iris Robinson and idiotic NI health minister Edwin Poots anyone?:rolleyes: Many unionists are still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to their views of social issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

wprathead wrote: »
    the man is a dick
    and an ex politican so prob loves himself
    effectivly he loves dick

I admire and endorse your awesome logic.

awec wrote: »
    I'm confused.

How is his political opinion relevant here?
    This is AH. Anything Goes (but "Goes" is spelled with a "Hours" and "Anything" is spelled with an "After").

Unionist homophobia is nothing new
    Unionist phobia of anything is nothing new.

Let's not get carried away here.
    I just logged into boards (to post*) for the first time in ages, and there was a visitor message calling me a "Gaylord".
    This was from a Catholic women born and bred in the ROI.
    As a Lord (your Lord), I found this to be quite offensive.

Homophobia exists everywhere.

As for that Queen loving Unionist, he's just like the rest of those intolerant bigots in the UUP or PUP or basically any of those men who worship Queens.
    The women are just fag hags who wish they were Princesses.

*Google Chrome logs me in automatically, so Google searches which bring me to boards make it appear I've logged in to say something. Or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Save Ulster from Sodomy! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This'll go well.

Sure how could they understand the nordies. All I hear is "..situation"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oh yeah. The animal ****ing bit.

Did you know that religious zealot hill billies of the Southern U.S. are of Scots-Irish descent? See the Billy part for something. The appropriate word eludes me right now.

Anyway, they basically have the same outlook as those fanatic Unionists up North.
    They're best ignored. Or laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You consider that as just being an odd opinion?

Odd, perverse, strange, backwards, retarded, stupid.

The question remains: do people who have these opinions deserve to be beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

prinz wrote: »
    Whats the divorce and infidelity rate like in the animal kingdom?

On topic, Doc is shocked. Just shocked. I'd never have associated an ulster unionist with homophobia, me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

He is entitled to his opinion tbh. As long as he does not discriminate because of it what can one do?

Educate him? Educate him on what?

The underlying issue is he is just a bigot. That was obvious many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Thankfully, this is a different Ken Maginnis to the Ken Maginnis who was a commander of the B Specials and, upon its replacement by the comparably murderous UDR in 1970, a commander of the UDR?

Oh, wait.

And Maginnis was usually regarded as a "liberal" unionist. The general nature of the extraordinary intolerance of that bible-thumping seventeenth-century settler-colonial culture and its incredibly ironic myths of modernity and progressiveness never fail to astonish. Just how many people in Finchley share the hellfire and brimstone worldview held by backward troglodytes like Maginnis, Robinson, Paisley and the rest? They are, quite clearly, the abomination of civilised European society in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Its funny that loyalist politicans are so anti -homosexuality as its well known that homosexuality was rife in the uvf/uda wings of prison in the 80s and 90s, infact if you read micheal stones book he mentions how johhny adair and his mate in crime and murder sam mccrory both took turns in dressing up as women and being girlfriend for the day and theres photos in his book to prove it, stone laments the fact that the loyalists couldnt be more regiminted and in control like IRA men and instead where all screwing each other and taking steriods and other narcotics,, sam mccrory has moved to the uk now and is very active on the gay rights scene there despite being a nazi/nf youth who progressed to loyalist terrorism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Actually,humans are Mammals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Homophobic statements like this would indicate homosexual tendencies if you ask me.

As the above poster mentioned, homosexuality amongst long kesh inmates was rampant and these were men who considered themselves tough guys.

I believe they're called "Homo Thugs"

Here's Ex-DUP member Paul Berry claiming Protestants had been "ethnically cleansed" from Northern Ireland by IRA.

A tabloid had revealed Mr.Berry arranged through a gay chatroom to meet a man in belfast hotel for "a massage"

That was the last we heard of him ...

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Actually,humans are Mammals.
    And mammals are.....? Plants?

Advertisement