Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Network for Data 10GB+

Options
  • 14-06-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

What’s the current cheapest network for Data?

At the moment, here's what I'm paying:
    €20/month for Meteor Mobile Broadband (7.5 GB)
    €7/month for Tesco Mobile Data (1 GB)

This seems like a lot when I could tether my phone if I had enough data allowance. Is there any network that will give me a decent amount of mobile data for a decent price?

I rarely make old-school calls and only use web texts on my phone.

Any suggestions? Don't mind Bill or Prepay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Meteor for €10.32 per month for 20gb in store only: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056660859

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have a look at the Threepay tarriffs on www.three.ie. If you are tempted, make sure you get a free sim first from them to test out reception issues you may have in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ShaneMcEntee

No other network compares for data price but I am switching to Tesco for reception and overall price and they do 1GB for €7 and double top ups so a tenner a month for 12 euro credit and 1GB data sounds good to me. With three I could only get 500mb data add on for €5 with a tenner a month. if you top up 20 a month and 3 are good in your area I'd do with three.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can't tether on Three.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You can't tether on Three.

Do you mean you physically can't or its against their fair use policy? I thought all networks didn't allow tethering unless you pay extra?

I have tethered on Three and know others who have and never got contacted by Three, even though they apparently track people who tether and tell them to stop.

However, any time I tried to search their site for the word 'tether' to see if I would get some nasty auto charge if I did it there were no results. Its a bit annoying how they don't mention it on their site or make it easy to find out about and yet apparently punish users who do it. How are people supposed to know they aren't allowed use the data they are paying for. Data is data. We shouldn't assume that it costs more to use on a different device. Hopefully the EU will do something to stop Networks preventing us from using the data we pay for in whatever way we want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Do you mean you physically can't or its against their fair use policy? I thought all networks didn't allow tethering unless you pay extra?

I have tethered on Three and know others who have and never got contacted by Three, even though they apparently track people who tether and tell them to stop.

However, any time I tried to search their site for the word 'tether' to see if I would get some nasty auto charge if I did it there were no results. Its a bit annoying how they don't mention it on their site or make it easy to find out about and yet apparently punish users who do it. How are people supposed to know they aren't allowed use the data they are paying for. Data is data. We shouldn't assume that it costs more to use on a different device. Hopefully the EU will do something to stop Networks preventing us from using the data we pay for in whatever way we want.

They tell you in their T&Cs that you can only use it on the mobile handset. AFAIR, it's in the small print form. Tesco, VF, Meteor and eMobile allow tethering, as do O2, but their allowance is appalling.

See the post on this thread from an Android user who has been stopped tethering apparently.
    wifi hotspot

whiterebel wrote: »
    They tell you in their T&Cs that you can only use it on the mobile handset. AFAIR, it's in the small print form. Tesco, VF, Meteor and eMobile allow tethering, as do O2, but their allowance is appalling.

See the post on this thread from an Android user who has been stopped tethering apparently.
    wifi hotspot

I thought vodafone charge like a tenner extra to allow tethering or have they stopped that. i knew someone who paid extra for voda tethering of like a 500mb plan. Ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need to check which network has the best connection in your location. Some are better than others.

Advertisement