Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take you to download a game?

Options
  • 14-06-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

AS per title lads,

I'm currently downloading GTAIV off xbox live its 6.51GB and I reckon it will take about 6 hours to download.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For a six-ten GB game:

About an hour on Steam, depending on time of day / if there's a sale on.

An hour or two on Xbox.

Two or three weeks on PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

AS per title lads,

I'm currently downloading GTAIV off xbox live its 6.51GB and I reckon it will take about 6 hours to download.

Depends on the service. I usually get 2-3MB/s on steam but others I can get my full speed of 12.5MB. For 6.5Gb at 12.5MB that's less then 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

2MB Snes roms at ~2MB/s so about 1 second to answer your question.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

For a six-ten GB game:

About an hour on Steam, depending on time of day / if there's a sale on.

An hour or two on Xbox.

how come it takes you so long on the ps3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

how come it takes you so long on the ps3?

Very slow downloads compared to the other service providers in my experience, although obviously a little exaggerated ;) The inconsistency of background downloading also doesn't help.

Admittedly, it's a bit slower since certain Netflix related workarounds, but even before then they crawled along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have the same problem via my PS3. Damn thing take forever to download something, where as on Xbox or Steam its will take an hour, maybe 2 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

For a six-ten GB game:

Plus then you have to install it, which can take just as long :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very slow downloads compared to the other service providers in my experience, although obviously a little exaggerated ;) The inconsistency of background downloading also doesn't help.

Admittedly, it's a bit slower since certain Netflix related workarounds, but even before then they crawled along.
    wes wrote: »
    I have the same problem via my PS3. Damn thing take forever to download something, where as on Xbox or Steam its will take an hour, maybe 2 tops.

glad its just not me then,I can't play anything while download a demo or a game

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

And its just finished having started at half 4.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My only recent comparison is the Guild wars 2 beta which is 13-14 gb and did it in about 1 hour 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd love to have your connections. PS3 games can take a long time but since my speed, according to speed check online is around 350KB/s it still takes about 5 or 6 hours on PC. That would be for the 6.5GB download

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Has anyone actually figured out why PS3 downloads are so slow? Is it due to the Wifi? I have tried a few of the solutions online, but haven't got anything to work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

wes wrote: »
    Has anyone actually figured out why PS3 downloads are so slow? Is it due to the Wifi? I have tried a few of the solutions online, but haven't got anything to work for me.

Because speed is expensive and PSN is free, Plus will likely continue onto the PS4 and i'd bet improve downloads is one of it new features.

Varik wrote: »
    Because speed is expensive and PSN is free, Plus will likely continue onto the PS4 and i'd bet improve downloads is one of it new features.

Steam as a service is free as well, though, so there's only so much justification Sony can get away with.

As many great games as there are on PS3, it's a bizarrely poorly put together piece of hardware at times, and the online capabilities are one of them (alongside install times, patching system, uninspired UI etc. etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

downloading infamous 2 , 15 gb off PS network , i think about 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Downloaded mass effect recently took about three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

2smiggy wrote: »
    downloading infamous 2 , 15 gb off PS network , i think about 6 hours.

I downloaded this about 2 weeks ago, had to leave it overnight............it was an impulse buy, so by the time it downloaded I wasnt really into it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Steam as a service is free as well, though, so there's only so much justification Sony can get away with.

As many great games as there are on PS3, it's a bizarrely poorly put together piece of hardware at times, and the online capabilities are one of them (alongside install times, patching system, uninspired UI etc. etc...)
    Yes but Valve also get a cut of every game sold on the platform which, one imagines, helps keep the service rather profitable.

gizmo wrote: »
    Yes but Valve also get a cut of every game sold on the platform which, one imagines, helps keep the service rather profitable.

Sony would have to too, right? I can't possibly imagine developers / publishers get 100% of the proceeds of a PSN purchase.

I've never downloaded anything on XBLA silver, but I'm guessing the 'free' stuff isn't slow there either?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sony would have to too, right? I can't possibly imagine developers / publishers get 100% of the proceeds of a PSN purchase.

I've never downloaded anything on XBLA silver, but I'm guessing the 'free' stuff isn't slow there either?
    Sony's system is quite odd as it happens. They charge the publishers a fee (around 16c last time I looked) per gigabyte downloaded from PSN, whether it's games, demos or add-ons. It's why I found their policy of allowing customers to download the same content to multiple consoles a bit sly to be honest. MS have no such charge but, as you've seen more recently, there are plenty of other costs involved in getting content up on Live with the likes of certification costs.

As for XBL speeds, they're the same regardless of your membership tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't know the exact times/figures, but to download and install the following on PS3:

- Little Big Planet 2 (6.?gb)
    - Outland (i think around the 1.2gb mark)
    - Oddworld: Strangers Wrath (2gb?)
    - MotorStorm: Apocalypse (6.?gb)
    - Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (6.?gb)
    - Another few things
    (All came to around 25/28gb)

I started it at 01.30 on 08/06/12, went to bed and then work at 7am, returned from work at 3.20pm and the last install was 43% complete... (I have PS+)

Minecraft 360 took about 10 minutes to download and install.

And i've downloaded "legal" copies of a 700mb film in anything from 3 hours to 5 minutes.

All on a 7gb WiMax wired connection.

Advertisement