Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a brushcutter

Options
  • 14-06-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend the best place to get one of these.. string and blade preferably.

Online or not just looking for the best value for money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

http://www.amrentals.co.uk/strimmers.html

The Hitachi at the bottom of the page is good quality. It is the same as a Tanaka TBC270 (Hitachi are the parent company of Tanaka)

Other brands to look out for are Tanaka, Stihl, Husqvarna and Honda - be wary of branded machines sold in chain stores and made in asia as in the main they are not great quality. Call into your local dealer for a browse about and check out his prices etc to make sure you get yourself a good deal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

i know two places in dublin where you can buy decent tools, where are u based? you may get better price when buying online from UK or north ireland. go for tanaka/hitachi, stihl, husqvarna. and check the engine size, at least 25ccm,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I had a Ryobi through woodies engine didn"t last . Couldn't afford top line so spent €199 on a pro cut strimmer and got the chainsaw for free..Strimmer works fine , much better quality than the ryobi ,didn't use the saw yet ,but it has an oregon bar and chain.
    As offered above the quality brands are the way to go if cash is not an issue . My dad uses a tanaka clearing under electric fences on his farm and swears to the quality of it given the amount of use it gets .

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

How much was shipping?

And how much have you cut with it?

keano25 wrote: »
    How much was shipping?

And how much have you cut with it?

I had an NI address so delivery was free.

I've used it maybe a dozen or so times so far, and impressed with it.

Update:

The spool ran out of line on the strimmer part, and I do the usual - opened it, fought with new line, tried for ages to try to get it loaded, and then noticed when putting it back together that there was 2 plastic lips which slip under holes on the top piece of the spool head unit. One had broken off, maybe by myself when opening it (probably too much force and frustration!). As a result, the unit would not seal again properly.

I emailed them yesterday and they are sending out a replacement FOC today.

Now thats customer service too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Update:

The spool ran out of line on the strimmer part, and I do the usual - opened it, fought with new line, tried for ages to try to get it loaded, and then noticed when putting it back together that there was 2 plastic lips which slip under holes on the top piece of the spool head unit. One had broken off, maybe by myself when opening it (probably too much force and frustration!). As a result, the unit would not seal again properly.

I emailed them yesterday and they are sending out a replacement FOC today.

Now thats customer service too.

I just recieved my one today. Ended up buying a LTS branded one off eBay. 43cc brushcutter.

Did a corner of the garden as it was raining and was very impressed so far. Bags of power.

Only downside was the shoulder strap is rubbish.

The spool sounds very similar to yours!

€130 to the door. So far so good :)

Hope yours goes well for you.

Yeah my shoulder strap was poor too, and I bought a cheap over-shoulder harness from either eBay or Amazon (sorry can't remember which).

Although better, not quite what I needed as even set at its highest/tightest, it still leaves strimmer slightly too close to the ground and I find I have to lift it up a little inch or two myself, which kinda defeats the purpose. But definitely easier to carry around for a long time if you have a big garden.

I had a quick look on eBay for an LTS branded one and can't see it, but I notice that a lot of the brands are exactly like mine - must all be Chinese clones from the one factory, rebranded when they get here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement