Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Subforums?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Don't know why some people here are so sensitive about the fact that rock and metal are two absolutely and totally completely different genres
    Nonsense, Opeth for example, have for the most part produced metal, however their last album was much closer to progressive rock and that's before you factor in their album Damnation.

Porcupine Tree, especially in their In Absentia and Deadwing Albums will often go from heavy to light several times within the same song. Trying to classify them neatly into rock or metal is impossible.

I've heard a lot of people refer to Led Zeppelin as Heavy Metal, but for me they're definitely rock.

Subforums will just lead to arguments and confusion imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

You know what I've read your arguments thoroughly and I've changed my mind now I think you're right and there's no need to have eleven forums for different genres, just one music forum that'd be perfectly fine.
    Alternative & Indie

Classical

Electronic Music & DJ'ing

Experimental Music

Hip-Hop

Jazz & Blues

Music

Punk

Rock & Metal

Soul & R 'n' B & Funk

Traditional

I agree that Heritage is more jazz or folk than metal, I actually love Jan Johansson too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

The difference between jazz, say, and punk is vast, in terms of typical musicianship and the people who typically listen to them. Since the difference between people who listen to black metal and doom metal is not so vast, there isn't that much need for separation, hence not much need for sub-forums. Again, all this genre defining bull**** is a marketing label, don't be so negative about broad spectra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I think this thread is Metal Ireland in a nutshell. Christ what a ****hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Whoa, what's with the hating on Metal Ireland for? Just because the posters over there have a record collection that consists of more than The Black Album. Nevermind and Appetite For Destruction doesn't mean they're '**** talking dickheads'. You get plonkers on every forum - it is the internet after all! :rolleyes:

I think it's best to forget having separate forums for the different genres, as already pointed out it'll just lead to arguments over what it is. Take Opeth - i'd call them prog rock or prog metal, but if someone calls them a death metal band or just a metal band, i'm not going to argue! We get the picture, those are all facets of their sound, so all valid, no point splitting hairs over it!

Now, i'm done ranting, so i'm gonna go back to enjoying some good music ;)

• Advertisement

Granted, that's a thread that has descended into total douchebaggery, but it happens on most forums.

Whoa, what's with the hating on Metal Ireland for? Just because the posters over there have a record collection that consists of more than The Black Album. Nevermind and Appetite For Destruction doesn't mean they're '**** talking dickheads'. You get plonkers on every forum - it is the internet after all! :rolleyes:

I'm really confused by this part of your post, I can't really see what it has to do with anything. Are you implying all anyone ever talks about here is The Black Album, Nevermind and Appetite for Destruction and that we're just bitter they have better taste than people here or something? :confused:
    Granted, that's a thread that has descended into total douchebaggery, but it happens on most forums.

Most threads there have a habit of descending into total douchebaggery it seems, can't say I've ever witnessed anything as bad here since this place is actually moderated.

I said that because whenever i click on the rock and metal forum, it's nearly always the same, boring (to me, that's just my personal taste and no offence intended to anyone, different strokes for different folks and all that) threads about the obvious bands that are being posted in. And the most frequent complaint i've heard about Metal Ireland is that a lot of the stuff featured is too obscure for a lot of people's tastes, so i kinda rolled them together.

Apologies if it offended ya, it was a bit of a harsh statement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

Think you're overreacting a bit to a few people disliking a band. It's not as if that doesn't happen on this forum.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Think you're overreacting a bit to a few people disliking a band. It's not as if that doesn't happen on this forum.

This forum doesn't devolve into "Only idiots go to <band> shows". There's disliking a band and there's being a bunch of elitist retards. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Cill94

This forum doesn't devolve into "Only idiots go to <band> shows". There's disliking a band and there's being a bunch of elitist retards. :p

Yes but that's not because the posters on here are any more mature. It's because the moderators here are much, much stricter.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Yes but that's not because the posters on here are any more mature. It's because the moderators here are much, much stricter.

I'd be inclined to disagree. If the moderators for this forum stepped down tomorrow and left us to our own devices I wouldn't just start calling people idiots for whatever they liked. We're civil towards eachother here because we're not twats, not because we fear some sort of consequence.

Anyway, thread should be locked. It's already apparent subforums aren't happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This thread seems to be going nowhere. If anyone wants to debate the merits of and gauge support for forums then, to quote myself from earlier:
    Malice wrote: »
    If you want to go through the proper channels for additional Rock & Metal forums then create a thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement