Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Thomond Park concerts in 2012??

• 14-06-2012 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

After waiting for years to get big names it seems we are behind again,Galway had Mumford&Sons along with other bands do a big outdoor gig last weekend

Any word on Thomand Park gigs this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

This was a year to strike with Oxygen gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'd say there's something in the pipeline,they're just not telling us yet.

I doubt any big names this year?

Phoenix Park if it goes well could affect Thomond Park getting gigs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Would be very Dissapointed if it was the likes of Mumford and sons to be honest. Thomond park needs to host the likes of Bruce Springsteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

AFAIK Thomond Park lost their contracts to the managing company they had to host these concerts.

So, until they sign a new contract, they can't get in anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No big concerts there this summer, and would have my doubts if there will be any there next summer either.

They just seem to like calling Thomond Park an established international music venue rather than actually making it one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And there was meant to be a soccer tournament there this summer but the FAI wouldnt allow - shower of scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mc Love wrote: »
    And there was meant to be a soccer tournament there this summer but the FAI wouldnt allow - shower of scumbags

The FAI had no problem with the same tournament when they thought they would make €500k hiring out the Aviva to the organisers. Funny how their tune changed when they were not going to be making cash themselves from it.

Would have been very cool to have seen a pre season tournament like that in Limerick especially as it was to be made of mostly first team players. Would have had no problem selling out Thomond Park for each game imho, just as the Barca game that was blocked last year would have sold out the place with ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Kess73 wrote: »
    The FAI had no problem with the same tournament when they thought they would make €500k hiring out the Aviva to the organisers. Funny how their tune changed when they were not going to be making cash themselves from it.

Would have been very cool to have seen a pre season tournament like that in Limerick especially as it was to be made of mostly first team players. Would have had no problem selling out Thomond Park for each game imho, just as the Barca game that was blocked last year would have sold out the place with ease.

From what I have been told the fai have nothing to do with the cost of renting the Aviva. Similar to the way Munster and the irfu have nothing to do with the cost of renting thomond park. Not going to get too caught up in it again but there was more to it than the FAI just throwing their toys out of the cot.

It still amazes me though how the likes of the RDS has hosted concerts for Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and even Michael Buble, all of which would have sold out thomond park or close to it. We though manage to get JLS and Bob Dylan was only one stand and a small bit of the pitch.

I see it mentions they don't have contracts anymore which as far as I'm concerned means someone isn't doing their job right.

• Advertisement

Well said Jofspring

If contracts aint signed then its open to anyone to put a bid in for a event

Mumford and Sons may not be to some peoples taste but they bought a full day of music to Galway and would be a popular band at the moment and wouldnt be drawing the rough crowd the stadium manager seems worried about

Im sure the Cranberries could be talked into doing a home town gig??Fill the line up with other bands and make a day of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The Cranberries are so low key now, they wouldn't fill Thomond Park I'd say, not of their own accord. What do ye think? There would want to be a good bill, but they should try and do a headliner.
    Do people even know who they are these days???

Advertisement