Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg: Q2 2012: Mobile Market Share

Options
  • 14-06-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Comreg have published their Q1 report here: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1262.pdf

Including mobile broadband ...
    • Tesco Mobile's market share stands at 2.9%.
    • Three's market share stands at 7.8%. A gain of 2.3% in market share terms year on year.
    • Meteor's market share stands at 19.6%. Static year on year.
    • O2's market share stands at 29%. Down 2.5% in market share terms year on year.
    • Vodafone's market share stands at 41%. Down 1.3% in market share terms year on year.

In a nutshell ...

Great news for Three.
    Good news for Tesco Mobile.
    Bad news for Vodafone.
    Awful news for O2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

... almost 3 million numbers have been ported since 2003 :eek:
    Also the figures may not be quite as bad as they seem for O2, because they jointly own Tesco Mobile who have gained market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Another bad quarter for O2 and yet still no sign of them changing tack. It reminds me of a quote I know: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Another bad quarter for O2 and yet still no sign of them changing tack. It reminds me of a quote I know: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results."

So what should they do differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Oracle wrote: »

They could change their data plans, for one thing. I got an unsolicited sales call from them, wondering whether I'd switch to a plan that would give me about 700MB max data per month.

They have got to be kidding.

Just give decent amounts of Data and drop some prices. All the other networks offer between 500mbs, 1GB and AYCE amounts while O2 start at 200mbs for a smartphone plan. Tis a crazy amount for a customer to be offered.

• Advertisement

That sounds reasonable. Seems like O2 promote smartphones like crazy then offer paltry amounts of data. I suppose their idea is they get you on the data charges.

They were the first to start to really try to monetise data and I'm guessing they hoped the others would follow giving a level playing field at which they could win since their cc and network are pretty good. But no other network followed suit. This began in 2010 and since then they've changed their plans 3 or 4 times where as before that they were a lot slower to change plans.

They'll have to do something soon to change the stats as they're loosing customers at a faster rate then any other network.

Although it looks on the talk and text side to be exactly the opposite. They've been very aggressive, jointly operating Tesco Mobile and rolling out 48 Months. Whats more interesting about the figures from ComReg, is not the decline of O2, but how solid Vodafone's share is, its hardly moved. That really surprises me; they're hugely expensive and not very innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Although it looks on the talk and text side to be exactly the opposite. They've been very aggressive, jointly operating Tesco Mobile and rolling out 48 Months. Whats more interesting about the figures from ComReg, is not the decline of O2, but how solid Vodafone's share is, its hardly moved. That really surprises me; they're hugely expensive and not very innovative.

Aggressive branding, i think. Their advertising seems to be more far reaching and elaborate than the rest?

i couldn't get away from them quick enough

wernstrom! wrote: »
    ..... i couldn't get away from them quick enough

Why? Was it for the same reason data charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

o2 has become a joke. The aul fella had to fight them to get 2gb when he got his IP4. I was on 20e /mo with free texts no data or 700 for a tenner while three gave me ayce for the same price with free texts and free weekend calls. Fast too(4d2u). Only reason not to port is the mumbai call centre.

O2 are surviving on loyalty and dumb phone users, and they're a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Glad to see Three's Market Share increase, as they actually offer real value to consumers especially in the PAYG market. Same with Meteor/EMobile with their various amount of Bill Pay plans to suit each consumer at reasonable value.

I've said it before, O2 and Vodafone are a joke and wouldn't even consider joining them. O2's rollout of 48 really took the biscuit, trying to capture the Student market but with their ridiculously completed system of "Membership" fees and all that rubbish. If they can't offer value in a direct, simplistic manner get out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

O2's market share stands at 29%. Down 2.5% in market share terms year on year.

Well deserved.

Advertisement