Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Rights Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Precisely, that works both ways - and when it's done the "wrong" way, people scream bloody murder.

Looking at the slides and leaving along the "sexism!" commentary, in all honesty I can see how some of his points could be taken the wrong way, especially by somebody looking for "discrimination" in every nook and cranny.

As a fellow Italian native, I can easily say that Professor's Strumia's main issue lays in his command of the English language being a bit subpar for somebody working in an international environment.

Oversimplifying, the Italian language uses specific sentence structures that make statements sound like "commands" when taken to in other cultures and/or languages; Therefore his statement about "physics being invented by men", while being meant to demonstrate there is no bias (anybody who's good enough can win a Nobel, essentially, regardless of what set of genitalia they were born with), was poorly translated to sound like something very different.

In the end, his entire grief is around quotas and tokenism - something I've seen first hand in some companies hiring policies - when 90% of the CVs you get for 2 positions as Developers are sent by men, but you must hire at least one woman...even if the two best candidates both happened to be guys.
    Again, the situation should be that the best 2 candidates are hired - regardless of them being women, men, smurfs or a six-legged dog...

Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Therefore his statement about "physics being invented by men", while being meant to demonstrate there is no bias (anybody who's good enough can win a Nobel, essentially, regardless of what set of genitalia they were born with), was poorly translated to sound like something very different.

Funnily enough...from today :

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45655151
    The 2018 Nobel Prize in Physics has been awarded to a woman for the first time in 55 years.

Donna Strickland, from Canada, is only the third woman winner of the award, along with Marie Curie, who won in 1903, and Maria Goeppert-Mayer, who was awarded the prize in 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Well if anyone can make sense of those slides they deserve a novel prize themselves.

I did have to laugh when part of his evidence was himself losing out on a promotion. No axe to grind there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

wexie wrote: »

I'm becoming so skeptical I wonder did she really deserve the Nobel prize or was it more 21st century tokenism. I hope she genuinely earned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Did Obama really deserve the Nobel peace prize ? If anything the Nobel prize have shown more so than anything they are not immune to political interference.

Also in this case she was part of a team so it looks like reporting bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

Maybe nothing particularly egregious in this batch

#womankind2018
    WomanKind
    @womankind2018
    The WomanKind fashion show returns in 2018 on September 14th in the Intercontinental Hotel, Dublin. Contact Elaine @plutoevents on 01 260 4001 #womankind2018

https://twitter.com/plutoevents/status/1040495364892065792

#womensinspire

#Compass2018
    Google women in leadership event

#WhenSheSaysImFine

#CIFConference
    Not a gender-related trend, but I see that gender came up
    https://twitter.com/philipleelaw/status/1047069617833857024
    https://twitter.com/CIF_Ireland/status/1047135047944478721
    https://twitter.com/MJCourtney18/status/1047130943633412101

Calhoun wrote: »
    Did Obama really deserve the Nobel peace prize ? If anything the Nobel prize have shown more so than anything they are not immune to political interference..

Definitely not, but the sciences should be above politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

backspin. wrote: »
    I'm becoming so skeptical I wonder did she really deserve the Nobel prize or was it more 21st century tokenism. I hope she genuinely earned it.
    Did Obama really deserve the Nobel peace prize ? If anything the Nobel prize have shown more so than anything they are not immune to political interference.

Also in this case she was part of a team so it looks like reporting bias.
    Definitely not, but the sciences should be above politics.

That is the entirety of the problem and something that, surprisingly, "feminists" don't seem to get.

If you show me the article about today's Nobel prize, the message should be "Brilliant Physicist awarded Nobel prize!" - and to be honest it's the way I see it. Not for a split second I thought "surely this is a setup!", there's no need for that. Then I discovered she's part of a team of three, the names of the other two not even mentioned in many articles if not directly by her in interviews, and I have to ask "why?".

I still don't doubt Mrs. Strickland's merits and contribution to the team, not even remotely - what is questionable, is the media bias and why they deemed the contributions of Mr. Ashkin and Mr. Mourou less worthy of publicity. But surely the answer will be "well, for years and years..." :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Oh, the fun is only just beginning...the gender pay-gap advocates are going to lose their collective mind when they hear the woman is 'only' getting 25% of the prize money. The main winner, Ashkin, gets 50%.

The head of the academy, Goran Hansson, acknowledged that it was doing more to ensure women were not overlooked for Nobel prizes. “It’s a small percentage for sure,” Hansson said on the proportion of women who have won the physics prize. “That’s why we are taking measures to encourage more nominations because we don’t want to miss anyone.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/02/arthur-ashkin-gerard-mourou-and-donna-strickland-win-nobel-physics-prize

It makes you wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

iptba wrote: »

Fair play to the Guardian for reporting the team in the title, BBC just has the woman and nothing regarding the men.

- in the headline that is, and that's all 90% of people bother reading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

New law signed in California this week mandating that women make up a specified percentage of members of a board of any publicly traded company in California. I’m sure many women will be pleased at being the token female, and many men will be thrilled that they were affirmative-auctioned out of the job.

Mattis also observing this week that integration of women into combat arms is being reviewed again. The main reason it was put into place in the first place is that generally speaking, only combat officers rise to the very top of the military structure, which meant that there was basically bugger-all chance of senior female military personnel.

New law signed in California this week mandating that women make up a specified percentage of members of a board of any publicly traded company in California. I’m sure many women will be pleased at being the token female, and many men will be thrilled that they were affirmative-auctioned out of the job.l.

What about all female boards are they ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    But this is so frightening, it's like Orwells 1984, when facts were denied and erased from existence - is this where we are heading ?

We're already there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Just heard the phrase again*: “happy wife, happy life”. This seems to contrast with what might be acceptable to tell women: such an attitude would be criticised and seen as something from the past.

*Admittedly the context here was a sitcom

I absolutely despise this saying. Despise it with every fiber of my being.

It's so disrespectful to men.

Absolute bjollox (that's dutch for bollox by the way).

This turned up in my twitter feed today
    https://twitter.com/drduncanbell/status/1047072791806337024?s=11

The tweets with important further information, including the first one here which is directly below the initial tweet, got many fewer likes:
    https://twitter.com/EmmMacfarlane/status/1047127373341048833
    https://twitter.com/eric_weinberger/status/1047118089832337408

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did Obama really deserve the Nobel peace prize ? .

No is the answer to that question. Trump has actually done more for world peace than Obama and I wouldn't give Trump a prize for anything.
    Al Gore did not deserve it either.

a topic for another thread maybe

This turned up in my twitter feed today
    https://twitter.com/drduncanbell/status/1047072791806337024?s=11

The tweets with important further information, including the first one here which is directly below the initial tweet, got many fewer likes:
    https://twitter.com/EmmMacfarlane/status/1047127373341048833
    https://twitter.com/eric_weinberger/status/1047118089832337408

Such brave allies on the right side of history.

Probably not the most outrageous of suggestions, but I haven't seen any similar section on men
    https://twitter.com/labourwomen/status/1047833721376788480
    https://twitter.com/labour/status/1047837719936860160

• Advertisement

It's fine as labour are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I'd say the only way they can get some votes back is doubling down on the social justice narrative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Probably not the most outrageous of suggestions, but I haven't seen any similar section on men

It would wrong to get bogged down into a "if they have a section for women then why not for men" kind of thing. They mention rolling out the HPV for boys which is a good thing IMO. Also the contraceptive plan would most likely be just as much of a benefit to men as it would be to women etc.

mzungu wrote: »
    iptba wrote:

It would wrong to get bogged down into a "if they have a section for women then why not for men" kind of thing.
    I don't agree, but then from what I recall, we don't agree on some other things, either.
    This isn't an isolated case: from what I recall, they have had sections before highlighting what they planned to do for women but no similar sections for men.

Political parties are important entities. They set our laws, set our taxes and control tens of billions of spending.
    There are 2 genders, which are approximately 50% each. Focusing on how you will help one gender is a biased approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't agree, but then from what I recall, we don't agree on some other things, either.

This isn't an isolated case: from what I recall, they have had sections before highlighting what they planned to do for women but no similar sections for men.

Political parties are important entities. They set our laws, set our taxes and control tens of billions of spending.

There are 2 genders, which are approximately 50% each. Focusing on how you will help one gender is a biased approach.

Focussing on how they appear only to be helping one gender, is an equally biased approach. I wouldn't be a Labour supporter myself personally, but given as you point out that political parties set our laws and so on, I feel it's only pertinent to point out that it was a Labour Senator who recently tabled a motion for the Government to issue an apology to men for the laws that were introduced then too -

Nash secures Government backing for apology to men convicted under 'draconian laws'

Focussing on how they appear only to be helping one gender, is an equally biased approach. I wouldn't be a Labour supporter myself personally, but given as you point out that political parties set our laws and so on, I feel it's only pertinent to point out that it was a Labour Senator who recently tabled a motion for the Government to issue an apology to men for the laws that were introduced then too -

Nash secures Government backing for apology to men convicted under 'draconian laws'

That's for gaymen though it fits the narrative.

Someone run and get a fire blanket quick, put out the flames before that post catches fire :pac:

Ahh no I do know what you mean though - fits the social justice narrative (and didn’t do Leo’s profile any harm either), but it was just when ipta mentioned that he didn’t see anything about men and how politicians decide our laws and so on, that one came to mind as their most recent contribution to men’s rights issues is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

It would wrong to get bogged down into a "if they have a section for women then why not for men" kind of thing. They mention rolling out the HPV for boys which is a good thing IMO. Also the contraceptive plan would most likely be just as much of a benefit to men as it would be to women etc.

With all due respect, it's not just your opinion that boys should get the HPV vaccine, it's also for example the strong view of the USA's Centre for Disease Control:

Boys need HPV vaccine, too. Here’s why.

Yet, at the time my daughter was getting the vaccine from the state vaccination service, I asked my GP if I could get it for my sons too. I explained that I understood it wasn't available free as for my daughter, but I was willing to pay the costs myself.

She advised me that she couldn't do it, because it was not yet approved in Ireland for boys.

Someone run and get a fire blanket quick, put out the flames before that post catches fire :pac:

Ahh no I do know what you mean though - fits the social justice narrative (and didn’t do Leo’s profile any harm either), but it was just when ipta mentioned that he didn’t see anything about men and how politicians decide our laws and so on, that one came to mind as their most recent contribution to men’s rights issues is all.

The funny thing is i always look at Leo as someone who broke the mold as he has never let his sexual status define him which is what you want.

I get what you are saying about the above, i suppose i was just pointing out they aren't going far enough as they are looking after one central group.

Saying that no political party is, i suppose the closest we have is the current government who have invested 500K in the likes of menshed. Only yesterday you have statistics on male suicide and yet it probably will continue to be ignored by most.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Ah sure, such is life! :)

It is important to take into account the current political climate. Elections and politicking in general can be summed up as a popularity contest so it is only good marketing sense to hitch yourself onto whatever movements are currently doing the rounds. It would be more surprising if they didn't. As always, the devil is in the detail. I couldn't care less if Labour's entire manifesto was based around what they will do for women because that is how they wrap the package. It's where the potential votes are. All that matters is what they actually do on the ground. Plus, 99.9% of manifesto promises and budget ideas end up on the scrapheap. :D

All parties do it, and have been doing it for a few years now and the general welfare of men has not suffered because of it. This is not to say that things like mental illness and suicide are not problems, because they are. However, those problems existed long before Labour (and other parties) were trying to appeal to women to vote for them.

Thing is though, what exactly would you like to see them doing for men in general? Maybe I'm wrong here, but in the case of things like mental illness and suicide, the budget (FG's one) appears to cater for these issues regardless of gender, and since men are most likely to suffer from both, are they not accounted for there?

gizmo555 wrote: »
    With all due respect, it's not just your opinion that boys should get the HPV vaccine, it's also for example the strong view of the USA's Centre for Disease Control:

Boys need HPV vaccine, too. Here’s why.

Yet, at the time my daughter was getting the vaccine from the state vaccination service, I asked my GP if I could get it for my sons too. I explained that I understood it wasn't available free as for my daughter, but I was willing to pay the costs myself.

She advised me that she couldn't do it, because it was not yet approved in Ireland for boys.
    Sure, it makes good sense to do it. Experts and commentators have been calling for it over the past few years etc. Labour had it in their budget proposal, so in that case they would be proactive in making sure your son would be able to get the vaccine. Hence they are doing things for men, which was the charge levelled against them.

Btw, it is beyond silly that they would not allow you get the vaccine for your son.

• Advertisement

The funny thing is i always look at Leo as someone who broke the mold as he has never let his sexual status define him which is what you want.

I get what you are saying about the above, i suppose i was just pointing out they aren't going far enough as they are looking after one central group.

Saying that no political party is, i suppose the closest we have is the current government who have invested 500K in the likes of menshed. Only yesterday you have statistics on male suicide and yet it probably will continue to be ignored by most.
    To be fair, it made it onto every news bulletin I listened to or saw yesterday. While men are still disproportionately represented in the stats, it should also be noted that figures are down on the previous year. There was ad campaigns getting more men to talk and all that jazz, so perhaps this was a factor in the decreasing overall numbers? This brings me back to what I said above, men are not being ignored (not in the mental health area, anyway) it's just that this stuff goes under the radar.

To be fair, it made it onto every news bulletin I listened to or saw yesterday. While men are still disproportionately represented in the stats, it should also be noted that figures are down on the previous year. There was ad campaigns getting more men to talk and all that jazz, so perhaps this was a factor in the decreasing overall numbers? This brings me back to what I said above, men are not being ignored (not in the mental health area, anyway) it's just that this stuff goes under the radar.

It already is being overshadowed and forgotten by another issue thats come up for women. Will it be talked about in the dail? probably not but i can tell you the item for the women will.

Just because its decreasing that must be ok? sure we just forget about it until next time i suppose.

I disagree with you, its more than just a bit of money its how we generally treat an expect men to behave as society. Right now it seems that men can only be bad and only become somewhat of an interest when they reach the end of their rope or are dying in our streets.

Health issues (generally), Mental health, homelessness, ect they all impact men yet we really see much in the way bar some lip service. The homeless statistics used more often than not are for women and children.

Thing is though, what exactly would you like to see them doing for men in general? Maybe I'm wrong here, but in the case of things like mental illness and suicide, the budget (FG's one) appears to cater for these issues regardless of gender, and since men are most likely to suffer from both, are they not accounted for there?

I would want to know that if i for whatever reason fall on hard times i wont just fall through the cracks and be forgotten about. I don't get that level of comfort from our current system.

Maybe as i said having a group representing men's issues in political parties as it seems to be ok for the women to do so.

You only have to look at the things that generally drive some men to the brink, i.e fathers rights, homelessness ect.

Do you actually believe that men in the current system are ok?

It already is being overshadowed and forgotten by another issue thats come up for women. Will it be talked about in the dail? probably not but i can tell you the item for the women will.

Just because its decreasing that must be ok? sure we just forget about it until next time i suppose.

I disagree with you, its more than just a bit of money its how we generally treat an expect men to behave as society. Right now it seems that men can only be bad and only become somewhat of an interest when they reach the end of their rope or are dying in our streets.

Health issues (generally), Mental health, homelessness, ect they all impact men yet we really see much in the way bar some lip service. The homeless statistics used more often than not are for women and children.
    Not at all. But the problem is not rooted in parties trying to play the inclusivity card, which is what we were talking about.

Things like homeless figures that are reported usually put children out front and then refer to the remainder as 'adults' or 'people.' However, if it is an opinion column with a gender slant then you might get mention of the amount of men or women that are homeless.

Men have been featured quite prominently in mental health awareness of late so I would hardly call it lip service. But look, that is getting into a scoreboard scenario which as I said above is a road to nowhere.

I would want to know that if i for whatever reason fall on hard times i wont just fall through the cracks and be forgotten about. I don't get that level of comfort from our current system.

Maybe as i said having a group representing men's issues in political parties as it seems to be ok for the women to do so.

You only have to look at the things that generally drive some men to the brink, i.e fathers rights, homelessness ect.

Do you actually believe that men in the current system are ok?

You mention slipping through the cracks. If you do fall on hard times we have probably one of the best welfare systems in the world. It will give you a hand up in times of need while you get back on your feet.

It would be good to get fathers rights recognised. This will start from the ground up, no government will make changes unless they see some political capital in there for them. Look at the most recent referendum campaigns, they were decades in the making. It's a hard slog and you have to battle to win hearts and minds by using good arguments.

A lot of things drive men to the brink. Each is different, and they all ended up at that point in life due to a myriad of factors preceding it. I cannot answer whether men in the system will be ok, because each person is different. I mean, look at the amount of rich and famous people that slip through the cracks. Money and security are great, but some people can be self destructive and no amount of government ad campaigns will get within a country mile of saving them. That aside, I think the average man in our system would be much better off than he would be in most other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

A lot of things drive men to the brink. Each is different, and they all ended up at that point in life due to a myriad of factors preceding it. I cannot answer whether men in the system will be ok, because each person is different. I mean, look at the amount of rich and famous that slip through the cracks? Money and security are great, but some people can be self destructive and no amount of government ad campaigns will get within a country mile of saving them.

A very sad example of this is Jonathan Corrie, who died four years ago sleeping rough in a doorway across the street from Leinster House.

Immediately after his death this was latched on to by many critics of the government, saying basically that he had died because of the government's failure to provide adequate housing for him and others like him.

However, it then came to light that his own parents had twice bought and given him houses, which he then sold. He had serious drug and alcohol problems, and I suppose that's where that money went. Anyway, he's hopefully at peace now.

A lot of things drive men to the brink. Each is different, and they all ended up at that point in life due to a myriad of factors preceding it.

Just after reading this article, and I thought it might be worth sharing how AI is enabling us to identify men who may be at risk of suicide -

In the UK, AI is already reducing real-world harm – and has the potential to save lives. In June, at the Male Psychology Conference, I listened to a captivating keynote speech by Dr Joe Rafferty, Chief Executive of Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust, who is championing a zero tolerance attitude to suicide.

He told me: “Using AI, we identified patterns in self-harming behaviour by analysing the text contained within incident reports. This allowed us to identify high risks factors within the ward to enable a more focused series of interventions.

“We have seen a 43pc overall reduction in self-harm in the wards where we have piloted this approach. Of course it’s early days for AI, and we need to do much more, but it is promising."

In August, in Dr Xand Van Tulleken’s excellent BBC documentary 'Stopping Male Suicide,’ we learned from Dr Joseph Franklin of Florida State University that machine learning algorithms could prevent suicide.

Franklin’s software looked at the medical records of thousands of American patients, analysing up to 800 factors to determine 'suicidality'. His staggering conclusion? “We are able to predict both non-fatal suicide attempts and death with about 90 per cent accuracy a few years before it happens”.

While AI is in its infancy, it’s abundantly clear it has a huge role to play in the future of mental health provision. Today, HARR-e takes a small step into that future.

Bold emphasis my own, that really is phenomenal, and I'd love to see the data for it to verify that conclusion, but if it were true, I think it's certainly something which Irish Government should consider funding to carry out further investigation.

Sad case from Canada, tangentially related to some recent discussions
    Christie Blatchford: B.C. man pleads for family court reform in suicide note

In a scrawled suicide note, he wrote: ‘Parental Alienation is devastating. I loved my children as much as a husband and father could. I see no light’

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-b-c-man-blamed-cruelty-of-family-court-battle-for-driving-him-to-suicide

Not at all. But the problem is not rooted in parties trying to play the inclusivity card, which is what we were talking about.

Things like homeless figures that are reported usually put children out front and then refer to the remainder as 'adults' or 'people.' However, if it is an opinion column with a gender slant then you might get mention of the amount of men or women that are homeless.

Men have been featured quite prominently in mental health awareness of late so I would hardly call it lip service. But look, that is getting into a scoreboard scenario which as I said above is a road to nowhere.

Sorry good points on your posts been up to my eyes so couldn't respond.

Thanks for detailed response .

Just after reading this article, and I thought it might be worth sharing how AI is enabling us to identify men who may be at risk of suicide -

Bold emphasis my own, that really is phenomenal, and I'd love to see the data for it to verify that conclusion, but if it were true, I think it's certainly something which Irish Government should consider funding to carry out further investigation.
    Crikey! That is fascinating. Like you said, if true, then it is a great leap forward. This is one to watch with interest. I would also say AI medical diagnosis in general is definitely one to keep a close eye on over the next decade or two.

• Advertisement

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)

#MeToo

#HimToo
    https://twitter.com/racerdain74/status/1046178905776943105
    https://twitter.com/SpongeHarris/status/1046087306615115777
    Started out about a concern about false allegations but seems to have ended up mostly being satirised

#AdaLovelaceDay
    Happy #AdaLovelaceDay – celebrating the world’s first computer programmer, the achievements of women in #STEM and encouraging the next generation of women and girls
    --
    Join us for our 10th Ada Lovelace Day on 9 Oct, celebrating women in science, tech, eng & maths.

#WomenLead
    Frances Fitzgerald @FitzgeraldFrncs
    Invited to meet some inspirational women (around the corner!) at the @BankofAmerica Global Forum on Women's Economic Empowerment - in partnership with #VitalVoices Proud to see so many women driving social change. #WomenLead Heading back to Leinster House for #Budget19 voting!

#DayoftheGirl
    International Day of the Girl

(Continued - only so many tweets can show up in one message, I believe)

Does anyone really give a crap other than the echo chamber? they all seem to be semistate bodies congratulating each other.

Talk of gender diversity/equality/balance/similar can lead to so-called “positive discrimination” for women. Also I’d say gender quotas for boards may come in. And to get enough women to be directors, it may lead to “positive discrimination” right through bodies.

Its going to happen if its going to happen, Ireland is a great copier of all things in the world. To question gender diversity by any business at this time would be very stupid.

If women want token positions then so be it, like look at the bunch of nobodies from state bodies tweeting out and celebrating a made up day.

If we are going to have gender equality on boards i hope it goes both ways, there are a number of government run boards like the film ones which are full of women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The last tweet is hilarious "diversity is a source of strength in our business" beside a photo of 13 middle-class white women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Only spotted this now but this crap has to stop and it's exactly where Ireland is heading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45372452

Women can go
    Men who think there women can go
    Women who think there men can go
    Men who don't identify as a man or a woman can go
    Transgender people can go

But funk me stay away if your a straight or gay man as minorities think your a bit rapey.

Only spotted this now but this crap has to stop and it's exactly where Ireland is heading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45372452

Women can go
    Men who think there women can go
    Women who think there men can go
    Men who don't identify as a man or a woman can go
    Transgender people can go

But funk me stay away if your a straight or gay man as minorities think your a bit rapey.

Mean while they are having a scandal going on in the country in terms of sexual violence.

I wonder how a festival like this is legal in a country so focused on equality.

The bank sponsored this article:
    The woman bringing the Gate Theatre into the 21st century
    Selina Cartmell, chief executive of the Gate Theatre: ‘I was given the support to be fearless’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sponsored/be-one-inspire-one/the-woman-bringing-the-gate-theatre-into-the-21st-century-1.3644574
    Diversity and inclusion have played a huge part in her work there since.

She wasn’t long following through. Since her arrival she has catapulted the number of female directors at the Gate from eight per cent to 80 per cent and the number of female writers from six per cent to 33 per cent.
    Stories of successful Irish women

Be One. Inspire One, sponsored by Ulster Bank, is a series that tells the stories of successful Irish women and what it is that inspires them. The series is being supported by Ulster Bank, which understands the need for flexible solutions for busy professionals.

“Ulster Bank Private Banking allows you the flexibility you need by saving you time and helping you to manage your personal banking from wherever you are, whenever you want, leaving you free to focus on the things that really matter in your life,” says Sandra O’Rourke, relationship manager with Ulster Bank Private Banking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I thought this thread was about mens rights? All that seems to be in here is articles or tweets about women?

Advertisement